U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2022, 12:57 PM

5,482 posts, read 1,757,115 times

Advertisements

I have been helped by Dr Berg more so than by Medical doctors, whom today are educated by big pharma to prescribe drugs to suppress symptoms long-term rather than find cures.

I have also been spared surgeries by Chiropractors...at this point I trust Chiropractors far more than the big pharma doctors.

Dr Berg researches most of his stuff from the book of medical physiology, seventh edition.

FWIW, I do NOT follow his keto diet. To me keto is too intricate and time consuming. I tend to follow the food combining diet that is promoted in the Suzanne Sommers books...it's much simpler.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-01-2022, 02:54 PM

762 posts, read 267,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The problem with "health proponents" is that they seem to think if you just do everything right (their version of it), you'll live forever. It's reassuring to think you can manifest that with what you choose to eat and how you choose to live. However, unfortunately, you can't.
Don't be silly. I don't think I will live forever and I have never met anyone who thinks that they will live forever. Did you ever meet someone who said, "I think if I just eat the right diet I will live forever? Come on, stop telling that story. Get real.

Quote:
None of us is getting out of here alive -- or even necessarily "long-lived" -- no matter what we do. IMO, relatively little of that is within our conscious control. So I say enjoy the ride!
So what you're saying is you are smart and everyone who tries to take some responsibility for their well being is dumb. Only a dumb person would try to be healthy. Got it.

Old 08-01-2022, 03:04 PM

762 posts, read 267,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It's correct. Where have you been? Plant-based diets have been defined and studied for at least 70 years. Plant-based diets don't exclude foods. Vegan and vegetarian exclude foods.
Where have you been? Here's a link to inform you what a plant based diet is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...client=gws-wiz

In short it says what is included and then says it...."excludes all animal products."

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-01-2022 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2022, 03:49 PM

16,724 posts, read 36,240,467 times
I like Dr. Berg and watch most of his videos, he has good information. HOWEVER, he way too often pushes that keto diet, and frankly, he himself is looking like a skeleton these days. He doesn't eat enough. I don't believe people can eat only one meal per day and get enough nutrition. However, having said that, most people could stand to cut down on the carbs and miss a meal now and then. That is what I do.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:07 PM

25,663 posts, read 25,565,081 times
It doesn’t mean that you are vegetarian or vegan and never eat meat or dairy. Rather, you are proportionately choosing more of your foods from plant sources.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018092614760

A plant based diet is not vegan or vegetarian. They do eat meat and dairy but they emphasize plants. You can't get sufficient protein if you only eat plants.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:10 PM

2,956 posts, read 1,694,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Where have you been? Here's a link to inform you what a plant based diet is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what...client=gws-wiz

In short it says what is included and then says it...."excludes all animal products."
If someone said it on the internet, it must be true.

Plant-based does not mean plant-exclusive. The diet is based on plants, not plants exclusively. The term for excluding everything but plants is vegan.

I told you that vegans are desperately trying to redefine it.

Old 08-02-2022, 07:36 AM

16,120 posts, read 8,688,347 times
LongevitySeeker, you're describing a simple dislocation of a joint.

He didn't "need a chiropractor" even then; he just needed someone who could recognize a dislocation and put it back in place. I did the same thing to myself when I dislocated my pinky finger.

Otherwise, as you go on to say, chiropractors basically just "treat" things that are going to resolve on their own in time anyway, like a torn muscle resulting in spasm, but get the credit (and the money) for "curing" them.

I'm sure the same occurs with doctors when people go in with a virus, are given an antibiotic, and praise both the doctor and drug for healing them when, in fact, that's neither necessary with nor effective against a virus, which just needed time and rest to resolve.

Simple false attribution.

But I've noticed people get VERY defensive about chiropractors! Either they really love theirs (I'm sure being touched creates an emotional bond) or they don't want to hear that they're being fleeced by a quack.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:00 AM

15,377 posts, read 14,108,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Do doctors ever specialize in diets? As in, 2 years of dietary studies?

And if they do, what do their learnings depends upon? The deliberately botched studies by seemingly "prestigious" institutions?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...o-fat.amp.html

And on the dubious findings of people like Ancel Keys?
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._other_stories

I am not a proponent of Keto at all. Just that, show me doctors with an expertise in dietetics.

Also, you are referring to Wikipedia as a factual source? I can create a wiki page for myself and call myself the greatest person to have ever lived.

He's moved on now but my son's medical school offers a Master of Clinical Nutrition degree. MD students are generally barred entry even on an al a carte basis the logic being when an MD has a hardcore diet question(s) or must prescribe a diet for say epileptic, diabetic s/he should get on the horn with one of the dietitians and let the better educated per the issue take charge.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:08 AM

15,377 posts, read 14,108,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I have been helped by Dr Berg more so than by Medical doctors, whom today are educated by big pharma to prescribe drugs to suppress symptoms long-term rather than find cures.
This sort of post/logic is mind boggling to me.

IMO you've been brainwashed. Take some time to investigate the nearest medical school and its research efforts and then report back.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:14 AM

158 posts, read 176,432 times
Eric Berg is just a guy who wants to sell his books. These men and women are a dime a dozen with all kinds of ideas about diet and health.
People believe what they want to believe and will support anyone who aligns with their thoughts and opinions.

Does he make sense on some stuff? Sure.
Does he not make any sense on some stuff? Sure.

Is he a credentialed medical doctor who specializes in diet? Has he conducted peer reviewed studies? Does he have the backing of his medical peers? Is he/she trying to sell a book? Is it well received by other credentialed medical professionals?

Or does he just make compelling YouTube videos while trying to sell his books?
Hard pass for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.