Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 PM

9,112 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

Some additional fodder for the fold, with references.

https://www.gripeo.com/dr-eric-berg/

Old 07-27-2022, 12:28 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I actually think keto is too restrictive, and it’s just not sustainable for most people. 20 carbs is hardly anything.

I also think a 24 hour or longer fast is just too much as well. Most people, myself included, don’t want to fight the hunger (ghrelin) in order to get past it and then just fast without feeling hungry.

But I am a firm believer in a moderate approach using these two techniques.

It’s very easy for me to do a 16:8 fast each and every single day.
It’s also very easy for me to meet my goal of no more than 50-75 carbs each and every single day too.

This is sustainable for me, and I believe it to be sustainable for everyone, too.

But once you have your IF and carb goals met, you can then start drilling down and making your macros the very best they can be. Fermented foods, omega 3- omega 6 balance, grass fed and organic only. Absolutely no sugar, grab for organic monk fruit or organic stevia instead.

I drink a lot of green tea, cardamom tea, rooibos tea.

Dr. Berg has so many videos that really give you ideas on how to improve your nutrition.

I had just turned 50 and I was in poor health. I wasn’t overweight, but I had digestion problems, stomach aches, headaches, high blood pressure, you name it, all because I was eating a horrific diet of pizza, burgers, donuts, bacon, soft drinks, cookies, cake, candy. My sugar intake could rival anyone on the planet!

But I knew I had to make a change, I was killing myself. Anyway, I started exercising and for the first time in my life, I started eating right after I found Dr. Berg and others on YouTube.

Now, it’s 3 years later and I am in the absolute best health of my life. I feel amazing!

When I eat, no stomach aches or digestion problems. No random headaches anymore. I had to get a physical for the type of job that I do, and for the first time in decades, I had a normal blood pressure.

I went from 5’10 180 to 5’10 155. Sure, I don’t doubt that I look a little on the slim side, but this was never about looking good, it was only about feeling good and being able to continue my demanding career, which I want to try and go until I am 70 at least.

Anyway, I have Dr. Berg to thank for giving me the ideas to turn my life around. If I would’ve continued with my “worst diet on the planet” it’s possible I could’ve already had a heart attack or stroke by now.
So you had a very unhealthy lifestyle and you found Dr. Berg, accepted his advice, and you are doing much better. Congrats for finally getting a clue and showing some discipline! But not all of us have your poor habits and are looking for a mentor. Most of us have known since the 80s about proper nutrition and exercise. And we've been getting advice from our physicians, from books and a number of sources and don't feel the need to rail against the medical community.

Old 07-27-2022, 01:04 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
So you had a very unhealthy lifestyle and you found Dr. Berg, accepted his advice, and you are doing much better. Congrats for finally getting a clue and showing some discipline! But not all of us have your poor habits and are looking for a mentor. Most of us have known since the 80s about proper nutrition and exercise. And we've been getting advice from our physicians, from books and a number of sources and don't feel the need to rail against the medical community.
What Dr. Berg, and others advocate for, is proven to work. It’s worked for millions of people, myself included.

If you don’t want to listen to him, don’t. You can continue doing whatever you want to.

Why are you even on this thread?

Old 07-27-2022, 02:09 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
What Dr. Berg, and others advocate for, is proven to work. It’s worked for millions of people, myself included.

If you don’t want to listen to him, don’t. You can continue doing whatever you want to.

Why are you even on this thread?
Because I don't appreciate Berg always slamming the medical community and saying only he has the real truths. I'll take our institutions over him any day. A couple times I commented on his videos and he replied saying his "truths" are only for those trying to lose weight. There is more to health than just losing weight.

Old 07-27-2022, 03:17 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
You can call him a quack, but he's right about saturated fats and cholesterol. You don't need a medical degree to read and understand the relevant material.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Rationalwiki is not Wikipedia. They use the same platform but they're different websites.
They explicitly say they are anti "pseudo science". So, they will be against everything that does not come from "doctors", and any "home remedies", or remedies that are not recognised by Western medicine.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Old 07-27-2022, 05:36 PM

7,479 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Dr. Berg practices and preaches a modified Keto diet with lots of green leafy veggies and a preference for cruciferous veggies. He's not straight Keto.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Because I don't appreciate Berg always slamming the medical community and saying only he has the real truths. I'll take our institutions over him any day. A couple times I commented on his videos and he replied saying his "truths" are only for those trying to lose weight. There is more to health than just losing weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You can call him a quack, but he's right about saturated fats and cholesterol. You don't need a medical degree to read and understand the relevant material.
Nothing ever is black or white.

I believe in traditional/ dietary remedies. That does not mean I will refuse going to the doctor if suffering from a severe stomach pain. However, once cured, i would want to change my diet and habits so that I never have to suffer from that pain again.

And I will go for checkups if the doctor has recommended any.

I am not willing to risk my health or my life trying to take a side in the traditional vs modern medicine argument.

Last edited by nirvana07; 07-27-2022 at 06:07 PM..

Old 07-27-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
If your searches are THIS flawed - no wonder you constantly post things that so many people disagree with.
The only reason he chose to attack Dr. Eric Berg is because someone created a thread where Dr. Berg says plant protein isn't as good as animal protein.

Old 07-28-2022, 03:58 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
I think “slamming the medical community” is too harsh of a statement based on what Dr. Berg actually does.

He made a video once where he explained his evolution on thinking. When he first started to advise people on nutrition he strictly adhered to the published guidelines that are found in the mainstream.

He was surprised when many of his patients (or whatever you want to call them) did not lose weight despite following those published guidelines precisely. This shocked him to the core, and he readily admits that his earliest books have a lot of bad information in them because he was following the “science”.

So he started to do a lot of reading and thinking on his own, really dig into the data, and he found a lot of suspect research. So he tailored his approach using some keto principles, some holistic principles, anything that matched up with the real trusted studies that he could find. He applied this new knowledge , and started noticing a huge difference as his patients were losing weight and getting healthier. From there, he took it even further and started getting into the weeds on specific vitamins and other minerals.

He didn’t say this, didn’t take it this far, but I will slam the medical community and here it is: The USDA is just another corrupt organization in the US that doesn’t care about us. They are paid off by big pharma, the medical establishment, and the food industry.

Think about it. If everyone drastically cut their carb intake and became much healthier, how does that help the bottom line with these corporations that provide medical treatment, medicine, and processed foods?

The answer is that it doesn’t. Their stock prices would fall, and heads would roll.

So just like everything else in America: you have to read between the lines, and stop being so altruistic, because corporations and the government do not have your best interests in mind. They sometimes align, and everyone is happy about that, but most of the time they do not, so they resort to lying to you.

Lastly, I never tell anyone to follow Dr. Berg, or anyone else, blindly. Do your own fact checking on what he says. That’s what I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.