U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:40 AM

770 posts, read 259,991 times

Advertisements

I thought this to be important enough to have it's own thread, otherwise unsuspecting people could be mislead.

"Eric Berg is an American quack, antivaxxer, chiropractor, cholesterol denialist, conspiracy theorist, scientologist, and Ketogenic diet advocate. Berg promotes pseudoscientific health advice and quackery. Berg is not a medical doctor. Berg practiced chiropractic for 29 years and is now a full time You Tube blogger who has made thousands of videos offering health advice. Berg has over 4 million subscribers and claims to have made 5000 videos. Berg operates the Health and Wellness Center in Alexandria, Virginia. He describes himself as "one of the top Ketogenic diet experts in the world."

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eric_Berg

Scroll down to where it says: Dubious health advice

"Berg is not a dietician or physician......"

Harvard Medical School says about the keto diet,

"It's advertised as a weight loss wonder, but this eating plan is actually a medical diet that comes with serious risks."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-the-keto-diet

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-26-2022 at 09:51 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 07-26-2022, 11:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 936,322 times
Do doctors ever specialize in diets? As in, 2 years of dietary studies?

And if they do, what do their learnings depends upon? The deliberately botched studies by seemingly "prestigious" institutions?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...o-fat.amp.html

And on the dubious findings of people like Ancel Keys?
https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._other_stories

I am not a proponent of Keto at all. Just that, show me doctors with an expertise in dietetics.

Also, you are referring to Wikipedia as a factual source? I can create a wiki page for myself and call myself the greatest person to have ever lived.

Last edited by nirvana07; 07-27-2022 at 12:02 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 08:01 AM

2,016 posts, read 1,011,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post

And if they do, what do their learnings depends upon? The deliberately botched studies by seemingly "prestigious" institutions?

I am not a proponent of Keto at all. Just that, show me doctors with an expertise in dietetics.

Also, you are referring to Wikipedia as a factual source? I can create a wiki page for myself and call myself the greatest person to have ever lived.
Rationalwiki is not Wikipedia. They use the same platform but they're different websites.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:56 AM

4,213 posts, read 4,717,070 times
Yeah, I've seen some dubious content from Eric Berg's videos and have mostly stopped watching.

What I don't appreciate above all from him is the way he slams the wide medical community. He preaches like we should not trust medical professionals but we should trust his Godlike research. This is doing a disservice to the country sowing doubt and discontent.

My physicians for decades have been enlightened about healthy eating, exercise and living for prevention. We should have more respect for the medical community, not less. He's a cherry picker who has not even been in the trenches.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post

I didn't know there was such a site a Rational-wiki until yesterday when I did a quick search. Although I've been aware of Wikipedia for a long time. Doing another search, just now, it was stated that Rational-wiki was started by people who didn't like what Wikipedia was saying.

However, I did find another source telling about the long-term risks of Keto:

Study: Keto Diet May Lead to Long-Term Health Risks

The study was published in Frontiers of Nutrition

1) The diet is considered unsafe during pregnancy and for those with kidney disease. (Many pregnancies are unplanned; and many people may not know they have kidney disease.)

2) In addition to that, other long term risks include cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's disease.

From my experience, overweight people are already at risk for the second set diseases mentioned. So it seems this diet can only further increase the risk.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/keto-...-risks-5197991

I found something in the article that I didn't know about that some may find interesting. There's a relatively new diet called "Vegan Keto" by Liz MacDowel. I don't know if it's worthwhile or not but if it's a book full of recipes, it's not for me.

Note: I found it interesting that they said there's a risk for those with kidney disease because even if you don't have kidney disease you can damage your kidneys long term. And that applies to all ages, even young people.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-27-2022 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 09:17 AM

3,844 posts, read 1,656,499 times
Everyone has a choice as to who they believe. I believe Dr. Berg’s advice to be sound. Everything he says is backed up by scientific study. So if you really want to get to the truth, you can research it on your own.

But if people want to continue to take the advice of the USDA and keep eating 300+ carbs a day, have at it.

Look around the US. We have failed as a country as far as nutrition goes. A large number of people are obese, diabetic, and in incredibly poor physical shape. Covid, which is basically nothing more than a little bit stronger flu than normal, took hundreds of thousands of out of shape people and put them in an early grave.

We have been able to keep people alive longer than previous generations, but look at their quality of life. Many are in nursing homes just laying there waiting for it all to be over. Many have benefitted from the advances in medical science, too.

Bill Maher always says it too, that we do nothing as a country in promoting disease prevention and encouraging health and wellness. But then he gets ripped by everyone for fat shaming.

So does it surprise anyone that our corrupt society attacks anyone who is actually looking at the problem at hand differently and out of the box?

Think about it. If you did stop eating all those carbs, and became healthy and didn’t need so many medications or doctor visits, that would hurt the same medical establishment that is discrediting people like Dr. Berg in the first place.

Lastly, I don’t care who anybody listens too, just realize that what we are doing in America as far as nutrition is not working.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:54 AM

WK91
Quote:
Everyone has a choice as to who they believe. I believe Dr. Berg’s advice to be sound. Everything he says is backed up by scientific study. So if you really want to get to the truth, you can research it on your own.
I need a tip on how to do the research it, how did you research it?

Quote:
But if people want to continue to take the advice of the USDA and keep eating 300+ carbs a day, have at it.
I never fell for the high carbohydrate diet in the first place because I learned better from my parents when I was growing up. (High carb meaning processed carbs.)

Quote:
Look around the US. We have failed as a country as far as nutrition goes. A large number of people are obese, diabetic, and in incredibly poor physical shape. Covid, which is basically nothing more than a little bit stronger flu than normal, took hundreds of thousands of out of shape people and put them in an early grave.
Yes, and I started warning people about this 20 years ago but no one was interested. I posted about this very thing on another website and all I got was "crickets". We are slowly sinking into the abyss. Nutrition education is abysmal. In some schools they now teach that there's no such thing as bad food, as long as you follow the serving size. Dieticians are telling people their daily allowance for sugar. But it's thought to be okay because it's called a "stricter limit". Although I've seen it stated in magazines and newspapers as "what you're allowed". And that's just for added sugar. You can also have soda, cookies, donuts, pie and ice cream, as long as you follow the serving size.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dail...men+and+women&

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-27-2022 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 10:11 AM

15,943 posts, read 8,622,417 times
Jason Fung and Eric Berg are considered the big intermittent fasting/keto diet experts -- who, by the way, see those two approaches as inextricable -- but I instinctively preferred Gin Stephens' ("Fast. Feast. Repeat.") more moderate approach.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:48 AM

3,844 posts, read 1,656,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Jason Fung and Eric Berg are considered the big intermittent fasting/keto diet experts -- who, by the way, see those two approaches as inextricable -- but I instinctively preferred Gin Stephens' ("Fast. Feast. Repeat.") more moderate approach.
I actually think keto is too restrictive, and it’s just not sustainable for most people. 20 carbs is hardly anything.

I also think a 24 hour or longer fast is just too much as well. Most people, myself included, don’t want to fight the hunger (ghrelin) in order to get past it and then just fast without feeling hungry.

But I am a firm believer in a moderate approach using these two techniques.

It’s very easy for me to do a 16:8 fast each and every single day.
It’s also very easy for me to meet my goal of no more than 50-75 carbs each and every single day too.

This is sustainable for me, and I believe it to be sustainable for everyone, too.

But once you have your IF and carb goals met, you can then start drilling down and making your macros the very best they can be. Fermented foods, omega 3- omega 6 balance, grass fed and organic only. Absolutely no sugar, grab for organic monk fruit or organic stevia instead.

I drink a lot of green tea, cardamom tea, rooibos tea.

Dr. Berg has so many videos that really give you ideas on how to improve your nutrition.

I had just turned 50 and I was in poor health. I wasn’t overweight, but I had digestion problems, stomach aches, headaches, high blood pressure, you name it, all because I was eating a horrific diet of pizza, burgers, donuts, bacon, soft drinks, cookies, cake, candy. My sugar intake could rival anyone on the planet!

But I knew I had to make a change, I was killing myself. Anyway, I started exercising and for the first time in my life, I started eating right after I found Dr. Berg and others on YouTube.

Now, it’s 3 years later and I am in the absolute best health of my life. I feel amazing!

When I eat, no stomach aches or digestion problems. No random headaches anymore. I had to get a physical for the type of job that I do, and for the first time in decades, I had a normal blood pressure.

I went from 5’10 180 to 5’10 155. Sure, I don’t doubt that I look a little on the slim side, but this was never about looking good, it was only about feeling good and being able to continue my demanding career, which I want to try and go until I am 70 at least.

Anyway, I have Dr. Berg to thank for giving me the ideas to turn my life around. If I would’ve continued with my “worst diet on the planet” it’s possible I could’ve already had a heart attack or stroke by now.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 PM

2,016 posts, read 1,011,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I didn't know there was such a site a Rational-wiki until yesterday when I did a quick search. Although I've been aware of Wikipedia for a long time. Doing another search, just now, it was stated that Rational-wiki was started by people who didn't like what Wikipedia was saying.
It was founded as a counterpoint to Conservapedia. Another online encyclopedia, but that also has nothing to do with wikipedia.

If your searches are THIS flawed - no wonder you constantly post things that so many people disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness