U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2022, 06:58 PM

506 posts, read 325,551 times

Advertisements

Patient is near 80

Has advanced osteoarthritis on left knee

Was approved for:
Orthovisc 30mg per two milliliters
One shot per week for four weeks
Shot to the left knee

When I go to WebMd some people say
- knee was swollen to size if basketball - had to go to ER
- after few shots they can no longer walk

Places like WebMD, Mayoclinic show this shot is full of promise

But people share their own experiences

Please share your experiences and what precautions you woukd have taken

Patient is looking for new knee Dr. The office is quite short staffed (lot of former patients said the same) and sometimes short tempered.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 02:26 PM

4,574 posts, read 2,855,056 times
I had Synvisc injections, 1/mo for 3 mo. Didn't do anything for me, good or bad. Followed up with nerve ablation last summer, which helped a lot, and will be having another ablation in a month.

Old 08-01-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I had Synvisc injections, 1/mo for 3 mo. Didn't do anything for me, good or bad. Followed up with nerve ablation last summer, which helped a lot, and will be having another ablation in a month.
What is nerve ablation?

Old 08-01-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
What is nerve ablation?

They stick a probe/needle to the genicular nerves that carry much (but not all) of the pain signals from the knee and use either cold or heat to destroy the nerves. The pain relief can last anywhere from 6 months to forever.

But first they test whether it will be effective by giving anesthetic injections to those nerves. If that provides relief for several hours then an ablation might help. If the injection doesn't help, the ablation probably won't either.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
They stick a probe/needle to the genicular nerves that carry much (but not all) of the pain signals from the knee and use either cold or heat to destroy the nerves. The pain relief can last anywhere from 6 months to forever.

But first they test whether it will be effective by giving anesthetic injections to those nerves. If that provides relief for several hours then an ablation might help. If the injection doesn't help, the ablation probably won't either.
Pain may go away but the severe osteoarthritis is still there.

This sounds like a nightmare. I’m sorry fir anyone who goes through this pain and suffering

Old 08-02-2022, 07:22 PM

45,443 posts, read 56,741,300 times
I had euflexxa, which is similar, after years of cortisone injections had stopped working. It did not really help much, but I know some people who have had good success without complications.

I don’t personally have knowledge of stem cell therapy, but I overheard a conversation of a man who had it, and it worked for him. The downside is it isnt covered and is expensive.

My ortho doc’s philosophy is “if it doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t matter.” But this being said, at 80, if a knee replacement is inevitable, I’d sooner have it at 80 than 85 or 90.

Old 08-02-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Pain may go away but the severe osteoarthritis is still there.

This sounds like a nightmare. I’m sorry fir anyone who goes through this pain and suffering

The severe arthritis is still there with every single treatment other than knee replacement.

The nerve ablation itself was almost completely painless and quite effective. Some surgeons are even using it to make recovery from knee replacement less painful.

Old 08-03-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had euflexxa, which is similar, after years of cortisone injections had stopped working. It did not really help much, but I know some people who have had good success without complications.

I don’t personally have knowledge of stem cell therapy, but I overheard a conversation of a man who had it, and it worked for him. The downside is it isnt covered and is expensive.

My ortho doc’s philosophy is “if it doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t matter.” But this being said, at 80, if a knee replacement is inevitable, I’d sooner have it at 80 than 85 or 90.

Right now I am researching about all these. Knee injections

Several ppl across other forums say that if osteoarthritis is severe enough, there is little chance any ****s will work

The Dr said the arthritis is advanced. Patient is wondering why Dr didn’t say there is little chance the shot will work. Instead he said there is 70% success rate

……..

Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The severe arthritis is still there with every single treatment other than knee replacement.

The nerve ablation itself was almost completely painless and quite effective. Some surgeons are even using it to make recovery from knee replacement less painful.
I’m in process of researching knee replacement too.

Patient needs TAVR fir severe aortic stenosis first.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:01 AM
Status: "Oct 16th = Global Fleshmonster Day" (set 29 days ago)

20,887 posts, read 21,705,880 times
I have read quite a lot of reviews on various ortho-injections.

It seem like the reviews are usually at both ends of the spectrum, either
worked great, or did nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness