U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2022, 06:06 PM

506 posts, read 324,478 times

Advertisements

Patient wants to know what is the best way fir him to walk.

He is almost 89 and has severe osteoarthritis on the left knee.

Should he walk regularly like the rest of us, ie slightly bending knees as we walk.

Or should he keep knees straight as possible as walking

The 80ye old said that his grandfather would walk with knees straight. He thinks that is why he never needed walking stick. His grandfather was a sanyasi.

Unfortunately he died due to smoke inhalation when he was in early 90s, else he would have made it last 100 yrs.

Please tell where I can find this information. Dr doesn't know and physical therapist says, “it doesn’t matter” when Patient tries to ask any questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 07:00 PM

4,565 posts, read 2,847,825 times
if you walk unnaturally to avoid one problem, you're likely to cause another. When I favor my bad knee, my hip starts to hurt.

Maybe a cane would help him.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:21 AM

506 posts, read 324,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
if you walk unnaturally to avoid one problem, you're likely to cause another. When I favor my bad knee, my hip starts to hurt.

Maybe a cane would help him.
He doesn’t want cane

Old 08-04-2022, 08:21 AM

6,801 posts, read 3,216,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
He doesn’t want cane
Chances are he will then fall, and maybe break a hip. He should have a walker.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:07 PM

18,266 posts, read 11,869,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
He doesn’t want cane
Sometimes we don't get everything we want. It isn't an ideal world, especially at 89. Compromise is part of life. Embrace the change and move past it. The cane can help take some weight off the sore knee and avoid as much pain when walking or standing. Which means he's more likely to do more of it and that can help improve his frame of mind. That's the goal, right? Either that or continue to sit around complaining. It will also help him stand/walk more upright which is better for the rest of him.

There's a right and a wrong way to use a cane. Technique and selecting the correct length and a comfortable grip will help make one less annoying. Like anything else that's new, there's a learning curve. It takes practice.

https://seniorsmobility.org/getting-...cane-properly/

FWIW, I was approaching a total hip replacement in my 40s due to osteoarthritis. Walking was very painful, but I got so sick and tired of sitting around immobilized by pain or the fear of pain. I shopped around for an unusual cane (picked a very "natural" stick made from a beautiful wood) and learned how to use it. It kept me more mobile up until my surgery arrived. Once I got used to walking with it, it became an unconscious motion and routine.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-04-2022 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness