Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-30-2022, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Reputation: 15337

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've had this cough since spring 2021. It's not all of the time, but when I do cough I bring up mucus.

Wow, so in a few mos almost 2 yrs! I'm sorry & I'm sure it's so annoying & frustrating. What exactly has your dr prescribed all this time? Do you have to spit at some point on a daily basis? I no longer have to & haven't for a while. I have my next pulmonology appt on Jan 10th.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Ever heard of covid? Your cough is a classic symptom as it is also for pneumonia. The information is out there. Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
No idea who you're responding to, but the OP already got an actual diagnosis and schedule of treatment from a licensed medical professional, up close and in person.

Google is not a doctor, can't make diagnoses, and can't prescribe medication or other treatments.

Ghaati, thank you! Yes, every at-home COVID test I've done has been negative & I think if it was COVID, I'd be suffering a lot more than this. I'm talking hard to breathe, etc.

My mom said she's read/heard that many people these days just seem to cough a lot for some reason. One of my bosses said his mother coughed for about 6 mos & then I guess it just went away as mysteriously as it came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-30-2022, 05:15 PM
 
5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Reputation: 11708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
No idea who you're responding to, but the OP already got an actual diagnosis and schedule of treatment from a licensed medical professional, up close and in person.

Google is not a doctor, can't make diagnoses, and can't prescribe medication or other treatments.

Is "lingering cough" really a diagnosis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2022, 08:50 AM
 
Location: NJ
23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Reputation: 30764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Wow, so in a few mos almost 2 yrs! I'm sorry & I'm sure it's so annoying & frustrating. What exactly has your dr prescribed all this time? Do you have to spit at some point on a daily basis? I no longer have to & haven't for a while. I have my next pulmonology appt on Jan 10th.







Ghaati, thank you! Yes, every at-home COVID test I've done has been negative & I think if it was COVID, I'd be suffering a lot more than this. I'm talking hard to breathe, etc.

My mom said she's read/heard that many people these days just seem to cough a lot for some reason. One of my bosses said his mother coughed for about 6 mos & then I guess it just went away as mysteriously as it came.

They prescribed omeprazole that didn't do anything. I also tried generic nexium which worked better but my insurance won't pay for it.

I don't take anything, I just deal with the cough every day. Yes, it brings up mucous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2023, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Mountains of Oregon
17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Reputation: 14408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They prescribed omeprazole that didn't do anything. I also tried generic nexium which worked better but my insurance won't pay for it.

I don't take anything, I just deal with the cough every day. Yes, it brings up mucous.
Have you tried drinking tea with lemon & honey. I've heard that helps.

I had a bad cough when my VA doc prescribed for me to take Lisinopril tabs. I stopped taking Lisinopril, no more cough.
I hope your cough gets better soon. Mine, was no fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2023, 10:03 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Reputation: 15337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They prescribed omeprazole that didn't do anything. I also tried generic nexium which worked better but my insurance won't pay for it.

I don't take anything, I just deal with the cough every day. Yes, it brings up mucous.

Happy New Year! I wonder if the 3 or at least 2 meds my pulmonologist's NP prescribed would work for you. It seems to have for me:

- Prednisone - was given only 5 pills to take 1x/day (5-day supply)

- Benzonatate - was given 30 pills to take 3x/day (10-day supply)

(- Trelegy inhaler - I looked this up & it's really for people w/ COPD, which I don't have, but she prescribed it to me to take 1 puff a day. Was given a 1.5-month supply)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2023, 11:28 AM
 
17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Reputation: 24289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
They prescribed omeprazole that didn't do anything. I also tried generic nexium which worked better but my insurance won't pay for it.

I don't take anything, I just deal with the cough every day. Yes, it brings up mucous.
My husband has had a cough for several years now. He is a non-smoker. My issue is constant stuffy nose and/or drippy nose. Never goes away.

Hubby does take Lisinopril, but he was coughing long before he started taking that med. I just think there is something in our environment causing it. We are rarely ever actually "sick."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2023, 06:18 AM
 
Location: NJ
23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Reputation: 30764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Have you tried drinking tea with lemon & honey. I've heard that helps.

I had a bad cough when my VA doc prescribed for me to take Lisinopril tabs. I stopped taking Lisinopril, no more cough.
I hope your cough gets better soon. Mine, was no fun.

I used to be able to drink tea but had to stop 10 years ago because it just doesn't agree with me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Happy New Year! I wonder if the 3 or at least 2 meds my pulmonologist's NP prescribed would work for you. It seems to have for me:

- Prednisone - was given only 5 pills to take 1x/day (5-day supply)

- Benzonatate - was given 30 pills to take 3x/day (10-day supply)

(- Trelegy inhaler - I looked this up & it's really for people w/ COPD, which I don't have, but she prescribed it to me to take 1 puff a day. Was given a 1.5-month supply)

I was recently on prednisone too, didn't work.

Never heard of Benzonatate but will keep it in mind next time I see my GP.

Happy new year!


Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband has had a cough for several years now. He is a non-smoker. My issue is constant stuffy nose and/or drippy nose. Never goes away.

Hubby does take Lisinopril, but he was coughing long before he started taking that med. I just think there is something in our environment causing it. We are rarely ever actually "sick."


Someone had mentioned that it seems like more people are coughing these days which I think is true too as I will hear people coughing when I'm shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2023, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Southern California
12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Reputation: 15337
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband has had a cough for several years now. He is a non-smoker. My issue is constant stuffy nose and/or drippy nose. Never goes away.

Hubby does take Lisinopril, but he was coughing long before he started taking that med. I just think there is something in our environment causing it. We are rarely ever actually "sick."

Never heard of Lisinopril. Has it helped him & how long has be been taking it? I assume he doesn't want to just take it forever for the rest of his life. (I'd hope to never have to take anything for the rest of my life.)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
...
I was recently on prednisone too, didn't work.

Never heard of Benzonatate but will keep it in mind next time I see my GP.

Happy new year!




Someone had mentioned that it seems like more people are coughing these days which I think is true too as I will hear people coughing when I'm shopping.

Yes, more people do seem to cough. I see, well hear it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2023, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Dessert
10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Reputation: 28062
TL/DR...have you tried Flonase/fluticasone?

I started coughing a few years ago, went to doc and told him I had previous problems with post nasal drip, but this wasn't responding to sudafed like it used to.

He said it was GERD, and put me on prilosec. That made no difference, so he told me to double down, and take twice as much. Still coughing, plus I started getting stomach pains every time I ate, because there was no acid to digest the food.

Saw an ENT, he said my throat had markings like GERD, and I should keep taking prilosec.

I tried all sorts of alternative GERD treatments, including parsley tea, raising the head of the bed, and HCl tablets. No help. I would wake in the night coughing, and cough all day.

A few months later, I was diagnosed with a lung tumor (not because I was coughing, but because my cancer markers were rising). Well, at least that's an answer. Had surgery...kept coughing.

Had a talk with the pulmonologist, mentioning the PND. He prescribed Flonase (before it was OTC). 8 weeks later, the cough was gone. Love that doc for listening!

So, ten months of coughing could have been avoided, but the damn doctors wouldn't freaking listen to me.

I later discovered that the sudafed on the shelf is less effective than what I had been used to, but the good stuff (called by the same name) is available if you ask at the pharmacy. If I'd known that, I could have avoided the dumb docs all together.
Aside from the whole lung tumor, of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2023, 01:13 PM
 
119 posts, read 71,915 times
Reputation: 182
No one mention heart problem,it could make a person cough.
Diabetic with heart problem will coughi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top