U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 08:52 AM

79,217 posts, read 73,212,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The last thing my coworker said before giving me covid: "oh its not covid. I don't have covid. "
Yep. My brother said, "If I don't believe I can get COVID, I won't get COVID". Then when he and my sister were cleaning out my late mother's house, he got a "cold". He would take a break now and then and go lie down for half an hour then get up and start working again. My sister was worried about him because he has a genetic heart defect. It passed after a few days.

Two weeks later, my sister was in a hospital on a ventilator fighting for her life. Seven weeks later she came out alive but still has effects of it more than a year later, some of which appears to be permanent damage. It's not always just about one's own self, giggle giggle giggle, COVID's nothing because I just had symptoms like a cold. To his credit, my brother felt terrible that he almost killed our sister with his stupidity, and it took her a while to forgive him.

To the OP: Just to be safe, buy an oximeter and use it if you don't have one. My sister's primary COVID symptom at home was terrible diarrhea. She did also have a cough, but then she got so weak she called the doctor and asked at what point she should go to a hospital. He said get an oximeter, and if the reading is less than 90, go to the hospital. Hers was 74. That's the thing with COVID. You may not have any idea that the oxygen is not getting through because it FEELS as if you are breathing OK. That's how they find those people dead at home who never felt sick enough to go the doctor.

I hope it is just allergies, which get me, too, but maybe check out your O2 levels.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2022 at 09:16 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 09:03 AM

7,662 posts, read 5,677,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Going on 2 wks now since last wk of July, I believe, I've developed this cough & have no idea why. I don't have allergies & haven't been sick. There were a couple of days when I thought it was getting better, but it's not. My nose isn't running at all, no sore throat, no fever, just coughing.
I thought you posted about being sick last month.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:14 AM

11,335 posts, read 12,526,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I thought you posted about being sick last month.

True, I was going to bring it up. On 6/30, I did start getting a sore throat & fever, which lasted 3 days if not shorter till 7/3 (I specifically marked my calendar). But then I had developed these spots on the palms of my hands & soles of feet, so I went ahead to urgent care on 7/4 because I thought it was some reaction to taking too much vitamin C (that I had been taking to nip things in the bud). Turns out it was HFM virus (Hand, Foot, Mouth), which I made a thread about at the time.

But since 7/3, I had no more fever, sore throat, or anything...just the spots on hands & feet, which the dr said would eventually go away.

Then, this cough (w/o any other symptoms) seems to have started up out of the blue sometime during the last wk of July, so that was a good 3, almost 4 wks of feeling completely fine, so I figured this was someething new & didn't still connect it w/ anything from last month.

I don't know what's happening. Before the HFM & now this, I haven't been sick in yrs. As of now, it does feel like this cough is very gradually getting better!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-05-2022 at 09:29 AM..

Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 PM

371 posts, read 167,106 times
Quote:
Going on 2 wks now since last wk of July, I believe, I've developed this cough & have no idea why. I don't have allergies & haven't been sick. There were a couple of days when I thought it was getting better, but it's not. My nose isn't running at all, no sore throat, no fever, just coughing.

The feeling is the URGE to cough & it's even hard to talk sometimes because the cough will come. I can feel mucous in my throat & after coughing, it seems I have to spit more & more. The mucous is clear, thin liquid, sorry for TMI.)

I've always taken lots of vitamins, drank water, etc., so I don't know what's happening. So I've been taking vitamins C, in fact, liposomal C. Also D3, & a lot more. I'll cough & spit every few mins. It hasn't been nearly as bad in the evening/night.

There's been the wildfires & I thought that may be affecting me, but it's not affecting my fiance' at all & I think those are up in northern CA. I'm in southern CA.

Guess I better see the doctor soon, but anyone know what I can do at home in the meantime? Something I can gargle w/, etc.? I try to go as holistic w/ remedies as much as I can. (Never had COVID, btw.)
NO it's very important you go get cancer ruled out. My BFF had the same problem and she and the local quick doctor place said "post nasal drip".

It was 3B lung cancer.

DO NOT MESS AROUND.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:20 PM

18,490 posts, read 12,057,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have one friend who has “non-allergic rhinitis” - whatever that is. He apparently isn’t allergic to anything but still has a variety of symptoms like a cough and postnasal drip. FWIW, he lives in an area that has controlled burns all the time and is often extremely smoky. I lived there for about 4 years and have never lived anywhere that had as many symptomatic people as they had there, and I imagine it was due in part to all the smoke destroying the air quality.
Sometimes I develop symptoms in response to air quality issues too. I don't live in a normally "polluted" area. The symptoms don't rise to the level of an allergic histamine response, but it is definitely a reaction to something. For me, I suspect the culprit is a combination of pollen and wildfire smoke. Cough, mild chest congestion, low grade ear infection. It all makes me feel less than great, saps energy, and can affect my balance, making me light headed and dizzy. An actual allergy test will come up negative. My PCP checked my ears and throat. Yep, PND and signs of fluid buildup behind the eardrums. That can take weeks to clear on its own. He suggested taking OTC Claritin first thing each morning. It's 24 hour and non drowsy, but by the time I go to bed it doesn't keep me awake. By the time the bottle is empty (about a month) and the regional fires die down, I usually feel fine. I'm not someone who heads to the pill bottle for very minor complaints, but this helped so much it was worth it to get back some quality of life.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:29 AM

19,626 posts, read 17,084,620 times
gargle regularly with salt water
and drink water with lemon juice in it on a daily basis

Old 08-06-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Yes, I'm not vaxxed either. I started getting a cough/cold/covid whatever late
June, and got on top of it right away before it developed into anything worse. That Mucinex + oregeno oil (which I drank -not gargled- several drops with water a couple times a day) stopped it dead it in its tracks - the cough never got worse, it just immediately started breaking up what was already in my chest and got rid of it. If it was "covid", it was no big deal, I didn't bother testing.

With ginger root, the raw stuff works best. I have a huge pitcher in the fridge right now, which I mixed w/ lemons, raw honey, cloves, and cinnamon. Good stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
gargle regularly with salt water
and drink water with lemon juice in it on a daily basis

Thanks again, you ttwo! So today, I realized I needed some extra help, so I got 2 items from Mucinex: the DM Max Stregnth 12-Hr tablets & their brand of cough drops. I also took some oregano oil pills, which I had in my cupboard already. (I told you my cupboard looks like a mini vitamin shop!)

Lemon water is good. I often drink infused water anyway w/ lemon or cucumber & mint, etc.

Old 08-10-2022, 04:19 PM

9,108 posts, read 5,049,564 times
Quote:
Thanks again, you ttwo! So today, I realized I needed some extra help, so I got 2 items from Mucinex: the DM Max Stregnth 12-Hr tablets & their brand of cough drops. I also took some oregano oil pills, which I had in my cupboard already. (I told you my cupboard looks like a mini vitamin shop!)

Lemon water is good. I often drink infused water anyway w/ lemon or cucumber & mint, etc.
Have you tried the nasal rinsing yet? It really helps. I have a deviated septum and it seems like things just block up at night. It’s really gross as I can feel globs of mucus just flowing down my throat after I get into a hot shower or am in a humid environment. I usually use the rinse for instant relief to get those globs out. I use Flonase at night so I am sure that is kind of drying the stuff up and causing the globs, but it does help.

Old 08-11-2022, 06:47 AM

I seem to gradually be getting better each day, thank God & thank you too, posters! No chest congested feeling here. It was the minor mucous in the throat feeling for me, but that seems to be gone since the other day or so. I've stopped spitting, it seems. The last 2 nights, I've been drinking 2 cups of tea of a different type in addition to the extra vit. C & D3, etc. I rubbed a little Vick's VapoRub on my chest/front neck 2 nights ago. I didn't really see any improvement using that...well, perhaps a tad, so I guess I'll do it again.

How long do you guys take Mucinex before you see that it's not helping? I'd think a full 7 days is a good amount of days to really give it a fair chance, yes?

RamenAddict, no nasal rinsing done. You mean w/ that netti pot thing? That's something I never got.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:53 AM

4,655 posts, read 2,900,077 times
Did you get tested?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness