Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 11:13 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

Going on 2 wks now since last wk of July, I believe, I've developed this cough & have no idea why. I don't have allergies & haven't been sick. There were a couple of days when I thought it was getting better, but it's not. My nose isn't running at all, no sore throat, no fever, just coughing.

The feeling is the URGE to cough & it's even hard to talk sometimes because the cough will come. I can feel mucous in my throat & after coughing, it seems I have to spit more & more. The mucous is clear, thin liquid, sorry for TMI.)

I've always taken lots of vitamins, drank water, etc., so I don't know what's happening. So I've been taking vitamins C, in fact, liposomal C. Also D3, & a lot more. I'll cough & spit every few mins. It hasn't been nearly as bad in the evening/night.

There's been the wildfires & I thought that may be affecting me, but it's not affecting my fiance' at all & I think those are up in northern CA. I'm in southern CA.

Guess I better see the doctor soon, but anyone know what I can do at home in the meantime? Something I can gargle w/, etc.? I try to go as holistic w/ remedies as much as I can. (Never had COVID, btw.)

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-04-2022 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:15 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
You say you haven't had covid, but have you tested? Hubby and I currently have it now, and a mucousy cough is about our only symptom.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:18 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Get to a doctor. A cough can be the first symptom of some serious things.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:18 AM

9,121 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Sounds like the dreaded post nasal drip.

"Post-nasal drip is among the most common causes of persistent cough, hoarseness, sore throat and other annoying symptoms. It can be caused by a number of conditions and may linger for weeks or months. That's the bad news. The good news is that most of the causes can be quickly identified and most will improve with treatment."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ost-nasal-drip

"Postnasal drip is when more mucus than normal gathers and drips down the back of your throat. You may feel like you have a tickle in the back of your throat. Postnasal drip can be a bothersome condition that can lead to a chronic cough.

The glands in your nose and throat are constantly making mucus. This is normal. These glands produce one to two quarts of mucus per day. Mucus has many important functions, such as:
  • Moistens and cleans your nasal lining.
  • Moistens the air you breathe.
  • Traps and clears whatever you inhale.
  • Helps fight infections."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...%20is%20normal.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:39 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Do you take blood pressure medicine? Certain medicines can cause the cough you describe.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:50 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
It could be environmental despite you saying you don't have allergies. Is it unusually hot and dry? What's the air quality like in your area in summer? I don't mean "the sky looks blue so its OK", I mean the measured air quality reading in your area? It might be lower than you think, and particulates (including dust) combined with dryness can increase the respiratory tract's mucus production which in turn increases post nasal drip. The PND can trigger a cough. BTW, you are not your fiancé. Just because he isn't bothered by something doesn't guarantee you won't be either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-04-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 12:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Sounds like you'd better take a Covid test just to be sure!

Old 08-04-2022, 01:23 PM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
I've had a persistent cough for over two weeks now with Covid. I did test positive and had symptoms (had a sore throat, fever, loss of smell), but many people have no symptoms or just what they might expect from allergies or a little sniffle/scratchy throat. Testing now wouldn't really tell you much, since you're likely no longer contagious two weeks later. Since probably half the people I know, vaccinated and not, have gotten covid in the past several weeks, I would think that might be the number one reason.

But you could also have developed an allergy or inhaled something. In Florida last week, there were high levels of Saharan sand from Africa in the air. Some people are sensitive to things like that and will develop a cough. There's also the slight chance that it's something more sinister, like a lung issue.

Probably best to get it checked out. In the meantime, drinking hot herbal tea with honey seems to help me somewhat.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:28 PM

801 posts, read 452,206 times
I would bet you money it is Covid. I just read an article about how many people have it or had it and don't know it.
While for many people Covid is nothing more than a flu (especially if you are fully vaxxed), for others Covid can lead to serious illness, hospitalization and even death (yes, still!) especially if you have co-morbidities like obesity, diabetes, weak immune system, or other serious illnesses.
If it's "just a cough" you'll probably be alright to ride it out but just be prepared in case you have more serious symptoms like high fever, trouble breathing etc.

I would have someone get you a free test at the drugstore, it's easy to do, and see if you test positive for Covid. They usually give you 2 so do one one day and one the next and see if either or both come out positive for Covid. If so please stay home and don't spread it, as some people do get very very sick and end up with long term symptoms, some serious ones.

And if you have not been vaxxed and boosted you are more at risk of complications. This isn't a political statement, it's a common scientific observation based on medical stats .

Old 08-04-2022, 02:24 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Sounds like the dreaded post nasal drip.

"Post-nasal drip is among the most common causes of persistent cough, hoarseness, sore throat and other annoying symptoms. It can be caused by a number of conditions and may linger for weeks or months. That's the bad news. The good news is that most of the causes can be quickly identified and most will improve with treatment."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ost-nasal-drip

"Postnasal drip is when more mucus than normal gathers and drips down the back of your throat. You may feel like you have a tickle in the back of your throat. Postnasal drip can be a bothersome condition that can lead to a chronic cough.

The glands in your nose and throat are constantly making mucus. This is normal. These glands produce one to two quarts of mucus per day. Mucus has many important functions, such as:
  • Moistens and cleans your nasal lining.
  • Moistens the air you breathe.
  • Traps and clears whatever you inhale.
  • Helps fight infections."

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...%20is%20normal.
This. It has been plagueing me for months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness