U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 09:32 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,021,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good question. ...As I understand it, most levo- comes from India & Pueto Rico.. 70% is NOT made in the US. https://www.pharmacychecker.com/askp...roid-cheaper/#!

I've been taking the same dose of whatever generic the pharm is distributing for 25 yrs with no noticeable changes in symptoms or lab tests -- until this last routine, yearly check when my TSH rose from its usual low normal to a high normal value and a mild macrocycic anemia appeared-- typical of low thyroxine levels...??? significant change in bio-availability of the present generic I'm using?...Is quality of generic an issue?

More importantly in the long run-- will a foreign source of our meds become a secutity and supply chain issue, should political circumstances change?
Puerto Rico IS the US. They are not a foreign source. Also, Pharmacychecker couldn't even price out levothyroxine properly. They're another discount rx company like GoodRx. Except they insist that my 100mcg is a capsule (it's not, it's a tablet), and that it'd cost me over $125 each, for a 30-day supply. That's their lowest price.

You can get them at Walmart for $4/30.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 06:20 AM

2,141 posts, read 2,331,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Puerto Rico IS the US. They are not a foreign source. Also, Pharmacychecker couldn't even price out levothyroxine properly. They're another discount rx company like GoodRx. Except they insist that my 100mcg is a capsule (it's not, it's a tablet), and that it'd cost me over $125 each, for a 30-day supply. That's their lowest price.

You can get them at Walmart for $4/30.
Yes $4/30 or $10/90. Mark Cuban $7.51/90.

I personally saw the devastation in Puerto Rico with the passage of that bill. Tens of thousands of jobs lost including 1,100 of my friends and fellow employees. We can thank our Republican led Congress and our Democratic president for the loss of Pharma being made in the US.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:13 AM

15,187 posts, read 24,358,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
Hello. Both prescription drugs are for the thyroid (or for those who don't have a thyroid anymore). Levothyroxine is the generic.

Does anyone know where each or any of them are produced? In other words, are they made in China or the USA?

Thank you.
Because it is generic, companies that make generics make it. So it is made everywhere. It would depend on where the place you get your drugs gets it from.

If you read your bottle in little print and probably with a little detective work as I discovered from Express Scripts — you can find out where the drug is made and by whom. When I used to deal with Caremark , they just told you on the bottle. But now with Express Scripts there’s a universal drug number and you have to look up the universal drug number and that will tell you what it is and who makes it and where it’s made.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM

13,015 posts, read 10,322,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderwomanNot View Post
Thank you for all of your input. All drug manufacturing (both raw products and compilation) should be brought back to the USA.
Not so simple. Honestly India is pretty darn good at making medicine.
And raw materials? That becomes a question of where those raw materials are. If you need a certain base element, or plant that grows in certain climates, that means you can't get them anywhere. You have to mine them where they exist or grow them where they grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Now I wonder if I should take Synthroid rather than generics. Hmm.
It's probably made in the same factory. And I bet if you bought Synthroid brand medicine in Connecticut and compared the bottle to medicine bought in Oregon you'd see a different factory and maybe even maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Something I found online said Mylan Inc produces synthroid in Morgantown West Virginia. Another source indicated Abbot Pharmaceuticals produces this product, but it doesn't say where. I've taken synthroid for years.
^^All of the above are probably true. Well, except Abbott. The synthroid brand is owned by AbbVie which was spun off by Abbott Labs to be it's own company.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:47 PM

15,606 posts, read 10,637,242 times
It really doesn't make any difference at all. Most pharmacies have tight contracts with suppliers. When I worked at Wallyworld, then Humana, before I retired, I couldn't ordet specific NDC codes other than what we had contracted.

As long as FDA says it's equivalent, it's what was used.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:55 PM

5,201 posts, read 10,899,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Now I wonder if I should take Synthroid rather than generics. Hmm.
It's up to you, but the Synthroid is quite expensive at over $1 a pill. My husband's endo told him he needed to take the brand and not generic after his thyroidectomy but he got tired of paying the high price and switched to generic and it hasn't affected him at all.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:04 PM

15,606 posts, read 10,637,242 times
It is highly recommended by Society of Endocrinology, not to switch from generic to brand (or other generics) OR from brand to generic levothyroxine once you are stabilized on one, or the other

Old 08-08-2022, 01:25 PM

9,083 posts, read 4,819,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It is highly recommended by Society of Endocrinology, not to switch from generic to brand (or other generics) OR from brand to generic levothyroxine once you are stabilized on one, or the other
I've heard that before, but don't understand why.
What's likely to happen if you switch?

Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM

2,548 posts, read 1,749,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

I have a family member who has taken levothyroxine from Mylan for years. The one time the pharmacy switched it to Lannett she felt horribly sluggish until she could get more Mylan.

Now that the Mylan factory in West Virginia closed I hope they can find a generic that works for her.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:42 PM

3,496 posts, read 3,025,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It has to do with the inactive ingredients used (i.e. the fillers) your body may notice the difference and cause your TSH to go higher or lower.

I used to take brand name and switched to a generic and got "re-stabilized" on that generic. It could just be a short term change that eventually levels out, or it could cause you to have to go to a higher or lower dose.

Ideally, you just don't want to switch brands often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness