Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 AM

326 posts, read 200,242 times

Advertisements

When I was in Japan in the 90s seeing people wearing masks was very common especially on public transportation but also just out in public. Both in Tokyo as well as the small towns.
I found the people in Japan and the whole were just very considerate and this was an extension of that

Old 08-08-2022, 10:27 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The flu can kill you, as well; especially if you are high risk. Were you wearing a mask all of the time pre-COVID to protect yourself from the flu?
Actually that's what I think people don't get. In some countries it's considered polite manners to wear a mask if one is possibly ill to protect others.

Unless an N95 I don't think that masks protect the wearer from much at all.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:27 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I will both wear and not wear as appropriate for that moment/place.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-08-2022, 11:32 AM

7,741 posts, read 3,778,838 times
When we go to a Las Vegas show, we will mask up with an N95
When we fly on a plane, we will mask up with an N95.

We probably always will.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:56 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
When I was in Japan in the 90s seeing people wearing masks was very common especially on public transportation but also just out in public. Both in Tokyo as well as the small towns.
I found the people in Japan and the whole were just very considerate and this was an extension of that
IMHO, even pandemics have their upsides. Such as the concept of taking simple precautions when one is sick out of consideration for others. That someone might be more vulnerable to illness than you are. That paying more attention to hygiene, hand washing, and social behavior can be good things. Before Covid-19 reared its ugly head, many societies dismissed masking in public as weird and paranoid. Now the idea is in the mainstream because it hit everyone right in the face so to speak. I don't mean that everyone should store N95 masks in their pockets, purse, briefcase, or car, or whip one out at the first sign of a sniffle, but that public health is a thing that touches everyone, not just some grungy, badly dressed panhandler on a street corner. Contagious disease spread happens, it can be socially/commercially devastating, and people can do something about it. It also drove home in a negative way that the reality of a global community means more than commerce. At some point, masking will probably drift back to personal choice. Not a terrible thing. As long as a sick person bothers to consider anyone other than themselves. The narcissistic and truly self-centered folks won't change a thing.

As for what I do these days, I'm older and have a history of asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia. Other than that, I have a pretty solid resistance to the usual circulating bugs. Haven't had a cold, flu or other virus in years. I now pay more attention to hand washing. I live alone but now do a better job cleaning touch surfaces. I'll keep a few masks on hand. Maybe store one in the car. If I'm sick, I might wear a mask around others. Depends on the circumstances. Generally, I don't tend to spend time in crowded situations, but if I see an obviously sick person in an enclosed public place who is showing no consideration for anyone else, I definitely keep my distance.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-08-2022 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-08-2022, 02:08 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
At some point, masking will probably drift back to personal choice.
It hasn't already? For months now the only place I have been required to wear a mask is the occasional medical appointment.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:09 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Not a chance. I had COVID back in December and it was just a minor cold. They finally stopped requiring masks everywhere, including public transportation and Uber, and I'm so glad.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:11 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It hasn't already? For months now the only place I have been required to wear a mask is the occasional medical appointment.
And those are the circumstances that may also go back to personal choice...

Old 08-08-2022, 02:14 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
No. Maybe in certain limited circumstances, such as flying when cases have been ticking up. But, no. not in general. I also hope mask-wearing doesn’t become the general practice: it makes life very difficult for the hearing impaired.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:36 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Unless an N95 I don't think that masks protect the wearer from much at all.
I've always disagreed with this. People spit on each other all the time. I was having this discussion during the worst of the pandemic with a friend. Neither wearing masks. She was getting a bit animated and accidentally spit on me. She didn't know she did. But this happens all the time. Humans sometimes project spittle from their mouths.
Even the worst of masks stop this.

Having said that...I've been done with masks for some time.
I'm vaxxed. Isn't this why we got vaxxed? I finally did get Covid a few weeks ago, from my wife who was at a large event. And it was nothing. Felt bad for one day. No long term after effects. Just felt like a cold for a few days.

Done with masks... until the next pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness