Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 09:55 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I think there's such a mythology around masks that people are seeing a signal that might already be there.
What mythology??? They have been, time and again, proven to work against covid (and other upper respiratory diseases) - assuming, of course, they're worn correctly and consistently.
Quote:
how would you know how much of the effect was due to masks, and how much was due to the other measures?
You wouldn't, not without specific studies conducted to that effect. But my original intent was not to measure it; it was simply to point out it was not zero.
Quote:
You're pretending not to understand the colloquial use of "lockdown," because you're not equipped to answer that poster's question. Kindly knock it off.
Dunning-Kruger much? She's a lot better equipped to answer his question than you are of refuting her points.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:01 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
What mythology??? They have been, time and again, proven to work against covid (and other upper respiratory diseases) - assuming, of course, they're worn correctly and consistently.You wouldn't, not without specific studies conducted to that effect. But my original intent was not to measure it; it was simply to point out it was not zero.Dunning-Kruger much? She's a lot better equipped to answer his question than you are of refuting her points.
We'll see if she answers it, then. While we're waiting, you can take your insult and shove it.

As to your pointing out the effect of mask wearing on flu is not zero, I am not persuaded. I still think it's zero or close. I'm in Ohio, we quit wearing masks pretty early around here, and we still didn't have flu. Nothing you've said has made me view this reality any differently.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
You're pretending not to understand the colloquial use of "lockdown," because you're not equipped to answer that poster's question. Kindly knock it off.
You are making up a definition of "lockdown". China had lockdowns; the US has not.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are making up a definition of "lockdown". China had lockdowns; the US has not.
See, highlanderfil? She's not equipped to do anything other than play semantics games. She won't take the challenge of pointing out instances where a place underwent an intervention that affected the spread of the virus significantly and a different, comparable place eschewed said intervention and paid for it in the form of runaway viral spread. Because said instances don't exist. Because the measures don't work.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:25 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,102,322 times
While cases were rising in Europe, many countries dropped mandates b/c Omicron spread factor was too great.

Japan has buy in on masks, but cases are still through the roof.

Certain nasal sprays(Sanotize,Xlear) and mouthwash gargle(Scope,ACT) actually kill the virus where the infection starts.

Just add to your tooth brushing routine

https://www.trialsitenews.com/a/nasa...n-in-big-media
https://nypost.com/2020/11/17/mouthw...-seconds-study

Old 08-11-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
See, highlanderfil? She's not equipped to do anything other than play semantics games. She won't take the challenge of pointing out instances where a place that underwent an intervention affected the spread of the virus significantly and a places that eschewed said intervention paid for it in the form of runaway viral spread. Because said instances don't exist. Because the measures don't work.
You are the one playing the semantics game.

The presence of a mandate does not mean masks were consistently and properly worn. Even in areas without mandates there were people who were socially isolating.

School children are a major vector for flu. They were not in school and not bringing home flu to their parents and grandparents. People working from home were not being exposed to coworkers who were infected and insisted on working while sick.

There was no "runaway spread" of flu anywhere. There was hardly any flu at all.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:

There was no "runaway spread" of flu anywhere. There was hardly any flu at all.
Exactly. There was hardly any flu at all anywhere, regardless of the extent to which mitigations were undertaken. That's my entire frigging point!

Old 08-11-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Exactly. There was hardly any flu at all anywhere, regardless of the extent to which mitigations were undertaken. That's my entire frigging point!
The totality of the mitigation effort, even though it was imperfectly applied, was sufficient to suppress spread of influenza.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...d-19-pandemic/

Old 08-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The totality of the mitigation effort, even though it was imperfectly applied, was sufficient to suppress spread of influenza.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hs...d-19-pandemic/
First sentence: "...according to experts." LOL. Talking points, like I keep saying.

If you put the statement "flu went away everywhere, because some people in some places wore masks" up to even the slightest amount of scrutiny, it crumbles like a Nature's Valley granola bar. The notion that people in Vermont wearing masks outdoors helped stopped the flu in Holmes County, Ohio, where no one wears masks, is patently absurd -- but some people have an insatiable appetite for credentialed people passing off absurdities as truth.

Old 08-11-2022, 11:05 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
We'll see if she answers it, then. While we're waiting, you can take your insult and shove it.
You really are irony-impaired, aren't you...

(Also, it's not an insult if it's painfully obviously true. But I guess seeing it requires not actually being afflicted by it, so I can see how you'd be confused.)
Quote:
As to your pointing out the effect of mask wearing on flu is not zero, I am not persuaded. I still think it's zero or close. I'm in Ohio, we quit wearing masks pretty early around here, and we still didn't have flu. Nothing you've said has made me view this reality any differently.
I honestly couldn't care less. Having extended conversations with people who will look for any reason not to change their minds, no matter how misguided they may be, isn't really a favorite pastime of mine, so on the ignore list you go.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-11-2022 at 11:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness