U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 07:52 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,489,491 times

Advertisements

Will mask in crowded places indefinitely.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 4,480,252 times
Will also mask in crowded places.
Got covid a few months ago.
I got lax, and didn't wear my mask grocery shopping. 2 weeks later covid got me.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:30 PM

15,115 posts, read 13,993,145 times
Wear a face mask when in public forever? Yeah no that's not for me. I have a hard time breathing with a mask as I have asthma. If you want to wear one, cool. If not, cool.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 13,735 times
Yup. Every time I'm in a building, which is not that often.

Stroke and cardiac deaths all through my family history. No need to invite a thrombotic fever into this scene.

Luckily, for now, I work outside caring for all manner of equid. If I have to go back into the high school English classroom to feed myself and my horse, I'll be wearing my n95 12 hours a day.

This is going to sound inflammatory: the resistance to masks is largely racist hatred for Asians, many of whom have been doing this end of public health right for decades.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:01 PM

35,501 posts, read 37,601,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
People having CoViD and not knowing it has been a core issue since the beginning.

Anyway, I can understand continuing to wear an N-95 or similar in crowded public places.

Schools, classrooms, locker rooms continue to be hot beds for the spread of infections, but we can’t expect children to mask for ever, so those exposed to children just have to accept that risk.
The poster who commented about a mask wearer probably having covid-19 was assuming that a known infection was the reason for the mask.

Children in Japan have been wearing masks for about a century.

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/10...-wearing-japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
...(but never had to wear it in the car, unless going through a drive-thru & will never understand the people in the car driving alone that I'd see wearing a mask).
If you are running errands there is no need to remove and replace the mask between stops. Just leave it on until you finish to minimize handling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
No, not just paranoid people will be wearing masks. There are very valid reasons certain people may choose to continue to wear a mask as previous posters have mentioned. In addition to their own health considerations, other people may opt to wear a mask when they are trying to protect others (i.e. they may have had an exposure to a Covid+ individual, they were, or still are, feeling ill, and they want to decrease the possibility of spread). I put a mask back on while in public for the better part of a week after my 11 yo got Covid until I knew whether or not I was going to get it (I didn't).

Perfectly rational and considerate people may opt to wear a mask. Perfectly rational and considerate people may opt not wear a mask. I don't think it's an either/or.
If there is one take home message from covid it should be that people who feel ill should stay at home. The same for sick kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The flu can kill you, as well; especially if you are high risk. Were you wearing a mask all of the time pre-COVID to protect yourself from the flu?
No, Americans have not worn masks during flu season. We now have evidence that it would be a good idea, along with avoiding crowds and better hand hygiene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Masks. Don't. Work. Even Leana Wenn admitted it on CNN last year.

Follow the science!
Plenty of science says that masks reduce spread. They are intended to be used with social distancing and hand hygiene.

A big piece of evidence is the astounding drop in flu cases when covid mitigation measures were in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Same here, over it! We do see some that wear masks here in central KS as allergies to grasses and trees can be quite severe. We do have here in town, next to a military installation have a higher Asian population, and I have noticed that people that do wear masks tend to be more likely Asian than not. I am not sure why.

I read an article about long term use, which convinced me that I was right about this all along! I had read articles early on about the lack of effectiveness, so we only wore them to medical appointments where required.

https://childrenshealthdefense.org/d...smission-cola/

"In Kansas, counties with a mask mandate had significantly higher COVID-19 case fatality rates than counties without a mask mandate."

And, interesting to note would be that we live in top counties for rejecting the vaccine and also lowest number of cases. Many businesses did not require masks here, so..............

Face diaper was a more descriptive word than face mask.
Were the mandates complied with? Were mandates applied because cases and fatalities were high?

RFK, Jr. is not a good source of info on infectious diseases.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...-masks-prevent

Call it a "face diaper" if you wish. Diapers contain feces and urine and prevent them from getting on other people and the environment.

Face masks contain saliva and nasal secretions and reduce the amount of potentially infectious material others are exposed to.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:16 AM

19,626 posts, read 17,087,668 times
we still are required to wear masks at work in all departments. i work at a large medical center. we tried no masks for about a week, and there was such a spike and huge increase, that they immediately went back to required masks at all times.

other than work because it is required, i don't wear a mask anywhere.
unless it is required, for instance when i go to doctor appointments mask is required at all the places i go: primary care provider, dentist, eye doctor, all of them still require mask to be worn.

but other than that, no i will not be wearing masks.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:41 AM

4,920 posts, read 2,596,929 times
I will wear a mask if required. I am glad not to have to wear it to most places.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:29 AM

42,841 posts, read 57,289,860 times
Ever since wearing a mask I've not caught a cold and my outdoor allergy problems have disappeared.
Spouse & I are both in the risk medium and will continue to wear masks when out in the public. It's the responsible thing to do.

If everyone would have followed instructions at the outset of the pandemic and masked up we probably would not be having these conversations today.

Old 08-09-2022, 03:44 AM

17,977 posts, read 17,718,344 times
Nope. I stopped wearing the mask for good when the mandate was removed in my state, which was back in April.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,227,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

If there is one take home message from covid it should be that people who feel ill should stay at home. The same for sick kids.
I agree. But the other half of that equation would be for employers, schools etc to support people staying at home when they are sick as opposed to treating it putatively. Of course, it has to be within reason, because I can see many people abusing sick time otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.