Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:21 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I was happy when I and others HAD to wear a mask during peak Covid or not enter stores.
I was even happier to quit wearing my mask after Covid was lower because my breathing was difficult with mask, especially warm temps outdoors like garden centers.

I'd wear mask again if I had to be in crowded areas or planes or other enclosed spaces.
People coughing near me makes me nervous.
I've noticed some who continue to wear masks while grocery shopping are older black people. Perhaps they have health
conditions that makes wearing a mask permanently a good idea.
Yep. Older people are high risk. They'd be kind of dumb, I think, to go grocery shopping without a mask. If you're in your 70s, 80s, 90s, good idea to wear a mask. If you're in your 60s, you might have more leeway but some people I've known in their 60s, even vaxxed, got really sick.

Being at high risk, I require all service people who come to the house to wear a mask. Not a handkerchief, but a good mask. That's my requirement. I'm not paying them to come and give me covid.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:06 PM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Fortunately, the Wuhan virus has mutated into less lethal variants and progressively are diminishing, even for older folks with comorbidities.

That said, hopefully those wearing masks are actually wearing ones that help, not just give a false sense of security. One must wear a N95 or N100 to get real protection, otherwise you are just kidding yourself that the face diapers are protecting you.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:13 AM

54 posts, read 32,931 times
My workplace (healthcare facility) requires us to wear masks all day at work. We even have to do a covid rapid test every day at work and a weekly PCR lab test (imagine the $$$ being spent for thousands of workers). So I am used to the mask by now and even wear it in public, except while eating.

Although, I want to test positive already, and in that case I should not be wearing a mask in public so I can get my paid days off.

Can you imagine I have to work around positive patients and be “exposed”, yet never tested positive or gotten a free day off from that since 2020. Meanwhile my spouse who does not work in healthcare is enjoying his second 2 week paid time off from being “exposed” by a positive coworker (even though he’s not positive himself). Must be nice…???

Old 08-10-2022, 06:26 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Y...Being at high risk, I require all service people who come to the house to wear a mask. Not a handkerchief, but a good mask. That's my requirement. I'm not paying them to come and give me covid.

I don't blame you! The few times I've had tohave the apt maintenance & carpet cleaner come here, I've asked them to wear a mask AND...

- I've worn one too while they were here
- had all the window open & ceiling fans on for ventilation
- spray some anti-bacterial air spray & wiped down where they may have touched when they leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaokat View Post
...Although, I want to test positive already, and in that case I should not be wearing a mask in public so I can get my paid days off.

Can you imagine I have to work around positive patients and be “exposed”, yet never tested positive or gotten a free day off from that since 2020. Meanwhile my spouse who does not work in healthcare is enjoying his second 2 week paid time off from being “exposed” by a positive coworker (even though he’s not positive himself). Must be nice…???

That's an odd mentality to have. You WANT to get COVID just to have some measly little days off & are jealous of your spouse who gets a little 2 wks off that goes by in the blink of an eye anyway.

I don't care if I was guaranteed a PAID YEAR OFF, but the catch is, I'd have to have COVID, I'd say hell NO.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't blame you! The few times I've had tohave the apt maintenance & carpet cleaner come here, I've asked them to wear a mask AND...

- I've worn one too while they were here
- had all the window open & ceiling fans on for ventilation
- spray some anti-bacterial air spray & wiped down where they may have touched when they leave

That's an odd mentality to have. You WANT to get COVID just to have some measly little days off & are jealous of your spouse who gets a little 2 wks off that goes by in the blink of an eye anyway.

I don't care if I was guaranteed a PAID YEAR OFF, but the catch is, I'd have to have COVID, I'd say hell NO.
But you already work from home. If you were like those of us that have had to work with the public every day throughout the pandemic, you might enjoy a stay at home week.

But honestly and thankfully, COVID is not bad for most people, even elderly. And if you want to mask still, that's fine of course.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:14 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But you already work from home. If you were like those of us that have had to work with the public every day throughout the pandemic, you might enjoy a stay at home week.

But honestly and thankfully, COVID is not bad for most people, even elderly. And if you want to mask still, that's fine of course.
Wearing a mask shows compassion, caring, and identification with the right values.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:26 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Much of the country will continue to mask for their entire lives. It is one of the many ways that COVID has changed life as we used to know it, forever.

I will pretty much mask in indoor environments, indefinitely. Shopping, traveling, pretty much any time I enter a building.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:33 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
I don't usually wear a mask when going out, but will put one on if it gets too crowded around me. I also monitor the local situation to see if there is an uptick. IMO it's a good idea to remain vigilant. I plan on getting my second booster in the fall.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:45 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Quote:
Much of the country will continue to mask for their entire lives. It is one of the many ways that COVID has changed life as we used to know it, forever.]
Wrong. In most of the country less than 1% of people, and in many cases much less than 1% of people are wearing masks. LA County has issued another mask mandate and only about 30% of the people there are wearing masks, 70% of the people are going maskless even though it is technically illegal to do so.

People are sick of masks and it is not going to become a way of life.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:59 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If everyone would have followed instructions at the outset of the pandemic and masked up we probably would not be having these conversations today.
Instructions at the outset? How soon folks forget. CDC officials advised the public NOT to wear masks, stating it wouldn't help and citing a lack of community spread. The CDC didn't reverse this advice until mid-July 2020, after it had spread far and wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness