U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 08:17 AM

4,959 posts, read 4,105,817 times

Advertisements

I'm probably going to wear one for the observable future (which is unlikely to be short-term) in all high-risk situations (crowds of people or just close prolonged contact with others, public transport (including planes), hospitals, grocery stores, etc. More than a billion people have done so prior to covid to fairly decent effect and I really don't have a problem with it, either, as I don't view masks as infringing on some imagined freedoms I ostensibly have. I've found a mask that works for me and although its fit is not as tight as that of a 3M Aria valve respirator I use for flying (but is uncomfortable to use daily), it's snug enough not to fog up my sunglasses, so I know it's decent. At this point in time it's concern over my own health rather than wanting to protect others, but KN95s and above are pretty OK at doing both.

The office might be the only place where if I'm literally the only person wearing a mask it would be weird. Good thing I'm working from home for the same observable future.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But you already work from home. If you were like those of us that have had to work with the public every day throughout the pandemic, you might enjoy a stay at home week.
With a high likelihood of 38+ fever, body aches, chills, stuffed nose and brain fog in what most would describe as a "mild" case? Not to mention the 1/3 probability of long covid? It's not the vacation you're envisioning...

Old 08-10-2022, 08:34 AM

8,176 posts, read 4,426,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Wrong. In most of the country less than 1% of people, and in many cases much less than 1% of people are wearing masks. LA County has issued another mask mandate and only about 30% of the people there are wearing masks, 70% of the people are going maskless even though it is technically illegal to do so.

People are sick of masks and it is not going to become a way of life.
No, I don't believe your numbers. When I go to the grocery store (or any indoor store), I would say probably 30-40% of people are still masking.

It will be a way of life for many people. Look at how many people on this thread have indicated they will masks for life. This obviously isn't a scientific poll, but this mirrors what I've heard in real life. About 1/3 of people I know have indicated they will be masking indefinitely. Sorry......

Old 08-10-2022, 09:55 AM

2,339 posts, read 1,670,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
That had nothing to do with mask usage. That happened because Covid-19 was a more powerful virus and it sent the flu into "hibernation" for a year.

Please cite your sources on this claim.

Old 08-10-2022, 10:33 AM

11,358 posts, read 12,535,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But you already work from home. If you were like those of us that have had to work with the public every day throughout the pandemic, you might enjoy a stay at home week.

But honestly and thankfully, COVID is not bad for most people, even elderly. And if you want to mask still, that's fine of course.

Whether I worked out there or not during COVID, I will not want a serious virus such as this that can KILL me as it has millions of others around the world just to have a week or two off. Not even worth pondering about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
With a high likelihood of 38+ fever, body aches, chills, stuffed nose and brain fog in what most would describe as a "mild" case? Not to mention the 1/3 probability of long covid? It's not the vacation you're envisioning...

Right, this too! But, doesn't have to even be that severe for me. If I know it can potentially KILL me, I don't want any parts of it.

BTW, thanks to those who have repped my posts in here!

Old 08-10-2022, 11:01 AM

14,402 posts, read 10,538,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Whether I worked out there or not during COVID, I will not want a serious virus such as this that can KILL me as it has millions of others around the world just to have a week or two off. Not even worth pondering about.
I agree.

I'm high-risk. I currently have pneumonia and another lung infection that sent me to the hospital. I don't go anywhere without my mask. I don't see that changing.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 AM

15,134 posts, read 13,999,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I
People coughing near me makes me nervous.
Coughing can be from a million different things. I haven't had Covid and I cough all the time due to my allergies, asthma, and poor air quality. I'm on multiple prescriptions for the allergies and asthma and I still cough quite often.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
No, I don't believe your numbers. When I go to the grocery store (or any indoor store), I would say probably 30-40% of people are still masking.

It will be a way of life for many people. Look at how many people on this thread have indicated they will masks for life. This obviously isn't a scientific poll, but this mirrors what I've heard in real life. About 1/3 of people I know have indicated they will be masking indefinitely. Sorry......
Now, if you apply his numbers to the UK, things get verrrrry different. My wife and I traveled there a couple months ago and we were in the literal 1%. I went to a semi-outdoor event (a Formula 1 race) with 150K+ people and I was the ONLY person wearing a mask. I'm not exaggerating. I was watching for it diligently and did not see a single mask. And that was at the time BA.5 was raging in the UK.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Coughing can be from a million different things. I haven't had Covid and I cough all the time due to my allergies, asthma, and poor air quality. I'm on multiple prescriptions for the allergies and asthma and I still cough quite often.
Pretty sure people know this, but whereas two and a half years ago there wasn't a concern about an additional potentially deadly disease, now there is and that concern (for some) is here to stay.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:24 AM

15,134 posts, read 13,999,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Pretty sure people know this, but whereas two and a half years ago there wasn't a concern about an additional potentially deadly disease, now there is and that concern (for some) is here to stay.
Covid isn't killing people today like it was when it all began. It is much milder now. Some people are so paranoid about it that they think everything is Covid when it's not. There's countless viruses and bacteria floating around us all day long and we think nothing of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.