Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 06:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

They aren't too happy with my BP and one of the things they suggested was less salt.

Well, I am hardly one to use the shaker but looking at the food I eat, from bread to canned tomatoes (and more), it's loaded!

So aside from more careful shopping (I would think with my lack of processed foods diet I was safe) and perhaps baking my own French bread instead of buying it, what else can be done to suck out the salt before it goes over the lips? Open my tomatoes can, put them in with a potato before I put them in my salad?

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-19-2019 at 06:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
A lot of canned veg come in a low or no salt version. Better yet, can you go with fresh veg and prepare them yourself at home? It's a little more time consuming but usually not terribly difficult.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
They aren't too happy with my BP and one of the things they suggested was less salt.

Well, I am hardly one to use the shaker but looking at the food I eat, from bread to canned tomatoes (and more), it's loaded!

So aside from more careful shopping (I would think with my lack of processed foods diet I was safe) and perhaps baking my own French bread instead of buying it, what else can be done to suck out the salt before it goes over the lips? Open my tomatoes can, put them in with a potato before I put them in my salad?
You are using your head for sure, and I know I should as well. I know they will up my BP meds next visit I am on very mild dosage now but BP does seem to be heading up. I have to admit I love my salt and getting upset with so many places where salt isn't even offered: our church dinners, some of our friends homes and even our daughter I hate to ask for the Salt but I can't seem to break my craving for it. I don't want anyone to think I live for salt or I over use, but I do like it.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:

I have to severely limit my sodium intake, so I've eliminated all canned veggies, lunch meats, canned soups, etc. I look at all food labels now for their sodium content and calculate (approximately) how much I can incorporate in my diet for the day. Mainly I stick to fresh fruits and veggies, but I do like rotisserie chickens and the small packets of salmon for dinner. I can eat them plain or in a salad with other ingredients like shredded fat-free cheese and cherry tomatoes. I don't cook much for myself anymore, so these are easy.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are using your head for sure, and I know I should as well. I know they will up my BP meds next visit I am on very mild dosage now but BP does seem to be heading up. I have to admit I love my salt and getting upset with so many places where salt isn't even offered: our church dinners, some of our friends homes and even our daughter I hate to ask for the Salt but I can't seem to break my craving for it. I don't want anyone to think I live for salt or I over use, but I do like it.
My head.....and my heart. I am on an essentially drug free life and I don't want to start now, so it is to modify my diet. T'was referencing Dennis Weaver this morning, about the possibility of going that way. I don't think I can, I like beef and fish too much, but I think I will be cooking a lot more beans, peas, and lentils now. I am sure my brisket seasoning is loaded so now, when I cut it up for the freezer, it needs to be a very thin slice and then, one slice with many days in between.

I was shocked, after I got home yesterday, to find that the lemon pepper I love....is loaded with salt. So maybe I am going to look into whether or not I can make my own, without salt.

When baking calls for salt, be it bread or sweets, is there something else that can be used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
A lot of canned veg come in a low or no salt version. Better yet, can you go with fresh veg and prepare them yourself at home? It's a little more time consuming but usually not terribly difficult.
At one time, I bought the fresh tomatoes but then noticed the cans were cheaper, so I went that way......sigh.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I thought that the newer thinking was that salt had only a moderate association with blood pressure.

But, after DH had bypass surgery in 2000, I had to evaluate our sodium intake. Chief offenders are canned and processed foods and lunchmeats. Luckily, there are lower and low sodium varieties of many products now.

Canned soups are big offenders, and so are hot dogs. When you reduce the sodium drastically, you will develop a sensitivity to its taste. Many, many times I’ve found restaurant dishes aggressively salty. So, you will learn to avoid those places, and patronize places that serve better quality food. Too much salt usually indicates poor quality, IMO.

Go easy on pickles, processed meats, canned veggies unless labeled “low sodium,” bouillon, most commercial broths and condensed soups, and salty snacks. Choose minimally processed foods most of the time.

I also think exercise aids with blood pressure management. I have noticed lower numbers after going to the gym.

You can get a meter at your local drugstore, and track your pressure.

If you need to take a med later, it is not a big deal. Both DH and I take BP meds, and our pressure has been stable for years. If you need it, you need it. But, yeah. Read nutrition labels for sodium, fat and carbs and you will become a savvy health shopper.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
This article is interesting, salt is not always responsible for high Blood pressure

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317099.php

I tend to agree, as when I was first dx with High BP I went on a radical salt free diet, I cooked everything from scratch, including chutneys. My BP did not go down. I belive some individuals are salt sensitive, & those people need to cut & reduce the salt intake. I am not one of those so I use salt every day. You can monitor yourself, by eating low salt & checking your numbers. Like many other things it is no a one size fits all regarding salt.

That article says some peoples BP went UP on a low salt diet.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
I was shocked, after I got home yesterday, to find that the lemon pepper I love....is loaded with salt. So maybe I am going to look into whether or not I can make my own, without salt.

When baking calls for salt, be it bread or sweets, is there something else that can be used?
I don't know about the stores, but sodium-free lemon pepper is available online. I'm sure you could also make it yourself.

My gut reaction is to say that the amount of sodium in a serving of sweet baked goods isn't enough to be concerned about.

My blood pressure is very sensitive to sodium, runs in the family, but I've been lucky enough to have not needed a change in my bp med for 15 years. Watching what I eat is a huge part of it. Good luck! And stay away from PFChangs!

Old 09-19-2019, 10:44 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
My head.....and my heart. I am on an essentially drug free life and I don't want to start now, so it is to modify my diet. T'was referencing Dennis Weaver this morning, about the possibility of going that way. I don't think I can, I like beef and fish too much, but I think I will be cooking a lot more beans, peas, and lentils now. I am sure my brisket seasoning is loaded so now, when I cut it up for the freezer, it needs to be a very thin slice and then, one slice with many days in between.

At one time, I bought the fresh tomatoes but then noticed the cans were cheaper, so I went that way......sigh.
Kind of late for this season, but can you take advantage of farmers markets, road side stands, generous neighbors or co-workers with gardens? (I have found that most home gardeners love to unload, er, I mean share any overabundance of fresh vegetables)
Barring that you could find out when the produce dept at your grocery store does their culling and markdowns for bruised or damaged fruits and veg. They're great for same day cooking in recipes.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My mother in law had the same issue. She developed a little trick, which was since we all put rice in our salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping, she took out the salt and left the rice therefore she could literally shake the saltshaker over her food as much as she wanted. It really worked, it’s a trick of the mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I have to severely limit my sodium intake, so I've eliminated all canned veggies, lunch meats, canned soups, etc. I look at all food labels now for their sodium content and calculate (approximately) how much I can incorporate in my diet for the day. Mainly I stick to fresh fruits and veggies, but I do like rotisserie chickens and the small packets of salmon for dinner. I can eat them plain or in a salad with other ingredients like shredded fat-free cheese and cherry tomatoes. I don't cook much for myself anymore, so these are easy.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but rotisserie chickens are almost always salt brined, and therefore are very high in salt. My sister had the same problem and was told to cut down salt. But it she was still having problems with her BP because she lived on rotisserie chicken. The next time she went to the doctor the doctor asked what she was eating and is soon as she said rotisserie chicken and he said ah-ha! that’s the issue. When she stopped eating them her BP went down to normal with her medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness