Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious. As much as I wish it wasn't true, since COVID's probably going to be around forever, who plans to wear masks when out & about FOREVER? I wish I didn't have to at times, but I actually don't mind it that terribly. I've still been wearing it since the first shut-down so far (but never had to wear it in the car, unless going through a drive-thru & will never understand the people in the car driving alone that I'd see wearing a mask).

From my early adulthood to right up until the 1st shut-down on 3/19/20, I wore a full face of makeup, so it's actually been nice not having to wear it as I have for the last almost 30 yrs because there's no use now since foundation &n lipstick will smear all over in the mask & it saves me a little money (not having to buy makeup). I could just wear eye makeup, but I wear sunglasses every tiem I go out too pretty much.

(I feel for the younger people, but I'm just glad that if COVID had to happen at all that it didn't happen in my younger yrs when I was still in HS, college, or throughout my 20s & 30s when we tended to love dressing up in our nice clothes, wear the makeup, hair done, etc. I really don't care about all that nowadays. I actually only wore nicer clothing for work, but for the last 8 yrs, I don't have to commute to a job, so I could dress way, way down in which it's pretty much shirts, leggings, sunglasses, caps, & sneakers/sandals everywhere I go.)

Last edited by Forever Blue; 08-08-2022 at 07:37 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 06:57 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Not I, nor anyone else in my family.

But, I absolutely expect to see some percentage of people wearing masks forever, and I won't think twice about it ever again. I won't find them odd or "fearful" or "sheep" or automatically assume they are "virtue signaling" or anything else and I certainly won't make snide comments to them about it.

For me, people wearing or not wearing masks has pretty much just blended into the background about someone's appearance and I really don't even notice it anymore.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:11 AM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Not me or anyone I know. We quit wearing masks unless required for travel 2 years ago.

At this point it's so rare to see anyone with a mask on here that I just assume they have covid and are protecting everyone else and trying not to spread it.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:20 AM

984 posts, read 442,017 times
I am 20 days out from having covid now and since I haven't retested, I'll give it one more day and then will stop masking. It's in an effort to protect others since I still have a mild cough.

Now I feel pretty protected, but honestly, once that wears off, I will probably mask during covid waves. This was pretty miserable even after having had three vaccines.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:48 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Maybe not in all situations, but for me, wearing a mask kept me from getting not just COVID, but simple colds for several years. So I can definitely see myself wearing a mask in crowds, while traveling, and when allergy season is bad or I might be under the weather myself but can't stay home. Now that we know that they're relatively effective, it's another tool.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:15 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I plan on continuing to wear it in certain situations like plane travel or other crowded indoor situations like during a theater performance. I do pottery and found that I felt much better afterward when I was wearing the mask, so I will also continue wearing it in the class. When I took it previously, sometimes I’d feel like I had particles in my lungs and nose. This just offers another layer of protection.

As Fleetiebelle has mentioned, I have not gotten sick in a while.

On the immediate front, I may wear masks when I go out because I fell off my bike and got a big scrape/bruise over my lip. I’d rather avoid the looks.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:20 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm just curious. As much as I wish it wasn't true, since COVID's probably going to be around forever, who plans to wear masks when out & about FOREVER? I wish I didn't have to at times, but I actually don't mind it that terribly. I've still been wearing it since the first shut-down so far (but never had to wear it in the car, unless going through a drive-thru & will never understand the people in the car driving alone that I'd see wearing a mask).

From my early adulthood to right up until the 1st shut-down on 3/19/20, I wore a full face of makeup, so it's actually been nice not having to wear it as I have for the last almost 30 yrs because there's no use now since foundation &n lipstick will smear all over in the mask & it saves me a little money (not having to buy makeup). I could just wear eye makeup, but I wear sunglasses every tiem I go out too pretty much.

(I feel for the younger people, but I'm just glad that if COVID had to happen at all that it didn't happen in my younger yrs when I was still in HS, college, or throughout my 20s & 30s when we tended to love dressing up in our nice clothes, wear the makeup, hair done, etc. I really don't care about all that nowadays. I actually only wore nicer clothing for work, but for the last 8 yrs, I don't have to commute to a job, so I could dress way, way down in which it's pretty much shirts, leggings, sunglasses, caps, & sneakers/sandals everywhere I go.)
Is this in the right forum?

Ask yourself why your only two choices are either wearing makeup or wearing a mask and sunglasses.

It sounds like you've traded one mask for another, as if you can't go outside without a makeup mask or a paper mask and sunglasses.

And why does wearing a mask and sunglasses mean that you can dress "way, way down"? What was preventing you from doing that before COVID? You were already working remotely before the pandemic. Peer pressure?

Old 08-08-2022, 08:21 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Maybe just the paranoid folks!

Old 08-08-2022, 10:05 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Maybe just the paranoid folks!
No, not just paranoid people will be wearing masks. There are very valid reasons certain people may choose to continue to wear a mask as previous posters have mentioned. In addition to their own health considerations, other people may opt to wear a mask when they are trying to protect others (i.e. they may have had an exposure to a Covid+ individual, they were, or still are, feeling ill, and they want to decrease the possibility of spread). I put a mask back on while in public for the better part of a week after my 11 yo got Covid until I knew whether or not I was going to get it (I didn't).

Perfectly rational and considerate people may opt to wear a mask. Perfectly rational and considerate people may opt not wear a mask. I don't think it's an either/or.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

\
The flu can kill you, as well; especially if you are high risk. Were you wearing a mask all of the time pre-COVID to protect yourself from the flu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness