Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 11:10 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,062,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Plenty of people are barely living their lives these days.
Just curious - what do you consider to be the evidence of this?

Old 08-10-2022, 11:30 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,914,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Actually, no, he's not. Mask wearing was definitely one of the reasons fewer other upper respiratory infections happened in the most covid-heavy times. It's been proven countless times; links were even provided in this very thread.
If it had "been proven," you would be able to explain to me why flu disappeared even in places where people didn't care about masks. But you can't do that, because it hasn't "been proven," it's just a talking point. And having flu disappear regardless of mask wearing is a reality that is very inconvenient to that talking point.

It's like claiming the sun came up because your village did a sun dance at 5 a.m., and then going to the neighboring village and finding out that they didn't do a dance and the sun came up anyway, but still insisting that the sun dance is what caused the sun to come up.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:35 PM

5,604 posts, read 4,152,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm not ridiculing anyone for wearing a mask. If you want to go for it. I already said that on this thread. There's a difference between wearing a mask and living your life in fear. Plenty of people are barely living their lives these days.

I took this as ridicule

"Some people are so paranoid about it that they think everything is Covid when it's not."

Old 08-10-2022, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
flu disappeared even in places where people didn't care about masks. <...> having flu disappear regardless of mask wearing is a reality
Do you have any scientific proof of this? Literally every single medical journal I've read on the subject cites mask-wearing, social distancing and an increase in flu vaccination as reasons for flu season being weaker in 2020-2021. By the way, when there's less of a virus circulating in communities that are masking, social-distancing and vaccinating, there's less of it to go around in the communities that are doing none of those things. But if you can cite a study that compared the two populations and saw no difference in flu infections, by all means, I'll give it a read.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 08-10-2022 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-11-2022, 04:26 AM

850 posts, read 740,723 times
I’m wearing a mask when I’m indoors around other people. Not sure if and when I’ll stop. However, I’m living my life to its fullest. I go wherever I want - just masked if inside.

Old 08-11-2022, 07:33 AM

2,995 posts, read 2,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Plenty of science says that masks reduce spread. They are intended to be used with social distancing and hand hygiene.
Would these be the junk science studies with no control group or cherry-picked locations?

You don't even need a study to see masks don't work. Dr. Ted Noel demonstrates that aerosols go through and around masks. https://rumble.com/vu00zo-dr-ted-noe...-viruses..html

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you are running errands there is no need to remove and replace the mask between stops. Just leave it on until you finish to minimize handling it.
So this finally explains people riding around alone in their car with a mask on.

I challenge anyone who thinks masks or lockdowns worked to point to cases, hospitalizations or deaths over time, in any place that used these measures, to find on a chart when these measures started or compare them to similar places that didn't mandate these measures.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 10 days ago)

34,416 posts, read 16,517,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't usually wear a mask when going out, but will put one on if it gets too crowded around me. I also monitor the local situation to see if there is an uptick. IMO it's a good idea to remain vigilant. I plan on getting my second booster in the fall.
Did that on May 27.
Quote:
I'm probably going to wear one for the observable future (which is unlikely to be short-term) in all high-risk situations (crowds of people or just close prolonged contact with others, public transport (including planes), hospitals, grocery stores, etc. More than a billion people have done so prior to covid to fairly decent effect and I really don't have a problem with it, either, as I don't view masks as infringing on some imagined freedoms I ostensibly have. I've found a mask that works for me and although its fit is not as tight as that of a 3M Aria valve respirator I use for flying (but is uncomfortable to use daily), it's snug enough not to fog up my sunglasses, so I know it's decent. At this point in time it's concern over my own health rather than wanting to protect others, but KN95s and above are pretty OK at doing both.

The office might be the only place where if I'm literally the only person wearing a mask it would be weird. Good thing I'm working from home for the same observable future.
It is dehumanizing. One of the cues that people give off is facial expression. Masks eliminate that.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:53 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,914,669 times
Quote:
Do you have any scientific proof of this? Literally every single medical journal I've read on the subject cites mask-wearing, social distancing and an increase in flu vaccination as reasons for flu season being weaker in 2020-2021. By the way, when there's less of a virus circulating in communities that are masking, social-distancing and vaccinating, there's less of it to go around in the communities that are doing none of those things. But if you can cite a study that compared the two populations and saw no difference in flu infections, by all means, I'll give it a read.
Do they show it (actual science), or do they just say it (talking point)?

I think it's common knowledge that the flu went away everywhere, and it's common knowledge that there was (and still is!) tremendous variation in mask-wearing based on geography, so I do not think I need to cite anything.

Do you have anything showing that, say, Vermont or New York had less flu, say, than Ohio or Nebraska?

Old 08-11-2022, 08:54 AM

22,831 posts, read 28,056,422 times
The mask makers need to get creative. Let's be honest. No one wants to wear this:

But hey, make masks like these? I'll wear one everywhere!

Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It is dehumanizing. One of the cues that people give off is facial expression. Masks eliminate that.
"Dehumanizing" is far too strong a word for it and masks don't eliminate it entirely. As I've said before, Asian cultures took up masking long before covid and they don't seem to have a huge issue with it. That said, it would be pointless to argue that masked interaction is the same as non-masked. This is why my wife is planning on going maskless when teaching a language at a university this fall. But she's making a conscious risk assessment for the benefit of her students, most of whom will be vaccinated and boosted and some of whom will be masked. And she will maintain as practical a distance as possible. I just wish more people made this decision in a similar way rather than "I dunwanna!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.