Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2022, 11:42 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

About 30% of the population is salt sensitive, as are almost half of those who are hypertensive.

The genetics behind it are being investigated.

https://newsroom.uvahealth.com/2018/...ensitive-salt/

"In this era of personalized medicine, physicians are recommending individualizing diet and exercise routines because everyone reacts differently to these lifestyle choices. Previously, the UVA researchers demonstrated that each individual is genetically programmed with a 'personal index of salt sensitivity,' suggesting sodium chloride dietary guidelines should also be personalized. The approximate 30 percent of the population that is sensitive to salt will have a higher incidence of strokes, heart attacks, kidney failure and blindness because of the inability to eliminate sufficient sodium."

"The research reveals that a gene defect causes a sodium transporter called NBCe2 to overwork. This brings too much sodium filtered in the kidney back into the body, especially after a high-salt meal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 01:12 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXzo3qRgu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwufIYWKFE

Old 08-14-2022, 04:25 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
As Suzy points out above, there are genetic sub-populations of "normal" people that handle salt differently.

If we test Vit C supplements, let's say, our results will depend on how many people with scurvy are in the test group. ..Same with testing salt diets --

Averages found in testing only apply to the group, not the individual.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:49 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
About 30% of the population is salt sensitive, as are almost half of those who are hypertensive.

The genetics behind it are being investigated.

https://newsroom.uvahealth.com/2018/...ensitive-salt/
^^^This.

I'm 68 with untreated BP of about 115/70, has been this level give or take a few points my entire life. I actually have pretty severe salt cravings at times (I was actually checked for Addison's at one time, but don't have it). Never affects my BP at all - I check it at home fairly regularly.

My sibling, on the other hand, has had essential hypertension since his 20s, and salt intake really affects his BP levels.

When people say salt doesn't CAUSE high blood pressure, they're talking about people like me. Salt did not CAUSE sibling's high blood pressure, but excess sodium certainly exacerbates it.

If I had high blood pressure, I would watch it.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:33 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
When I was overweight there was a direct correlation between my sodium intake and my blood pressure.

When I became fit there was no correlation at all. In fact now I have to take electrolytes with salt to avoid problems like muscle cramps.

Salt played a role in my high blood pressure, but it's obvious my high blood pressure was caused by being overweight.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
BP 86/56. Geeze.
LOL you say that like it's a bad thing.

OK I give platelets regularly. I have to have a sort of mini physical to give them, which includes checking my blood pressure. It's been below the 90/60 mark (what they consider to be "normal") several times, and averages about 100/70. I am 60. I've had doctors ask me in the past if I feel alright, which I do. At that point they say "Well, as long as you feel good, that's really all that matters." It's been 85/50 before and yet I've felt fine. I may not be average but for me, "low" blood pressure is normal blood pressure. If mine was ever 120/80 I'd be worried!

Anyway, I don't watch my salt intake at all. In fact, I may need to eat a bit more of it since lately I've had a few leg cramps at night.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
When I was overweight there was a direct correlation between my sodium intake and my blood pressure.

When I became fit there was no correlation at all. In fact now I have to take electrolytes with salt to avoid problems like muscle cramps.

Salt played a role in my high blood pressure, but it's obvious my high blood pressure was caused by being overweight.
I've also been taking the electrolytes with salt for a few months. My health conscious daughter does as well. I do feel great and my BP is always good.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:08 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
From what I've read, it's important to our health to keep our minerals in balance.

We Americans consume way too much sodium and not enough potassium and magnesium...

The imbalance often leads to various health issues. Some of them very serious.

There's lots of info on the net from reputable sources about this.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From what I've read, it's important to our health to keep our minerals in balance.

We Americans consume way too much sodium and not enough potassium and magnesium...

The imbalance often leads to various health issues. Some of them very serious.

There's lots of info on the net from reputable sources about this.

trust your kidneys

Old 08-15-2022, 11:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
trust your kidneys
Ya know ...after my MD said increase my salt
(for severe LBP)---I made an appt with a Cardiologist. I passed their tests and he asked," WHY!!!?"
did I come in...like I was crazy.
I said my reasons and asked about my kidneys specifically! He said, I'll be fine...salt's not gonna hurt anything.
Just sayin' what happened with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness