U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2022, 02:29 PM
 
15,598 posts, read 10,623,941 times
Reputation: 29351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I have POTS , I am my own 'Study'.... POTS: all that means is severe LBP esp standing up.
So the doctor said to increase my salt intake, that did nothing...WHY?
Because Miss Smarty Pants was doing pink Himalayan salt...that doesn't raise your BP much.
So I switched to the iodized Table Salt and VOILA! I can walk to the mailbox and not feel faint
and with no tachycardia, 156 beats...fast heart rate. (the 'T' in POTS)

It constricts my vessels...thank God.
Ha, someone with HBP would not want that.
I'm pretty much a normal person now...also daily Rosemary tea, while on the BP subject.

But forget one morning ?---bad news, it's like I have Mono, no energy at all. BP 86/56. Geeze.
In 40 minutes after salty broth with added salt, I'm normal for many hours.

I'm glad that switching worked for you. But, salt is salt.


https://www.webmd.com/diet/himalayan-salt-good-for-you


Quote:
It is, however, able to contribute ample sodium to your diet, since it’s nearly pure sodium.
The traces of other minerals in Himalayan salt are responsible for the mineral’s pink tint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2022, 05:29 PM
 
15 posts, read 2,862 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just one of the numerous studies that shows salt does not increase blood pressure. Why do medical pros keep insisting that it does?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tant-as-sodium

Likely this is propaganda funded by Big Salt and the Salt Industrial Complex. I saw a similar article saying that you can add more salt to your meal and it won't make the meal taste more salty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2022, 03:51 AM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
8,690 posts, read 4,403,898 times
Reputation: 4431
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm glad that switching worked for you. But, salt is salt.


https://www.webmd.com/diet/himalayan-salt-good-for-you
Not really. Table salt is not just sodium salt - it also contains sodium aluminosilicate. Pink salt does not. And that basically is the only difference (apart from trace minerals that give it the pink color).

I have taken to mixing potassium salt in with my sodium salt. I need to recheck the proportions. My understanding is that the downside of consuming too much sodium salt is that the body flushes all salts indiscriminately, resulting is deficiencies in other salts like potassium salts.

Quote:
Sodium aluminosilicate: Linked to Alzeihmers and nerve damage, bone diseases, kidney damage, neurotoxicity.
Quote:
Sodium aluminosilicate: Aluminium is known to be neurotoxic and aluminium toxicity has been implicted with Alzheimers disease.
https://foodadditives.net/anticaking...licoaluminate/
Quote:
As an aluminum-containing food additive, it is common that sometimes consumers have questions whether sodium silicoaluminate is bad for our health and what are the possible health risks. It is generally considered safe but may be related to Alzheimers and other possible side effects.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2022, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
1,333 posts, read 939,458 times
Reputation: 3598
"It is, however, able to contribute ample sodium to your diet, since it’s nearly pure sodium.
The traces of other minerals in Himalayan salt are responsible for the mineral’s pink tint."


That's not true. Table salt and Himalayan salt are sodium chloride, and by weight is more chloride than sodium. Someone was sleeping in chemistry class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2022, 08:50 AM
 
1,813 posts, read 699,550 times
Reputation: 4342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
"It is, however, able to contribute ample sodium to your diet, since it’s nearly pure sodium.
The traces of other minerals in Himalayan salt are responsible for the mineral’s pink tint."


That's not true. Table salt and Himalayan salt are sodium chloride, and by weight is more chloride than sodium. Someone was sleeping in chemistry class.

Mammals need chloride for proper food digestion - to make gastric acid. The older people do not make enough of that and can not utilize nutrients from their food - even if they have a good wholesome diet.
We need chloride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2022, 03:07 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,123 posts, read 478,063 times
Reputation: 2746
I am one who has had extremely low blood pressure for a lifetime. Last month it was 90/58 during my physical (top number has been in the 80s a lot so was actually higher than usual that visit). In the past I discovered with donating blood or giving blood for any reason that I had more success if I increased my salt intake a few hours before as well as drinking more water than usual. I'm not sure if it was the salt or the water or both but it made a huge difference in my blood flow for giving blood. I had some horrible experiences before that trick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2022, 08:38 AM
 
770 posts, read 259,991 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Street View Post
Likely this is propaganda funded by Big Salt and the Salt Industrial Complex. I saw a similar article saying that you can add more salt to your meal and it won't make the meal taste more salty.
I think you may be on to something. At the beginning of the article it mentions Lynn L. Moore, an associate professor of medicine at Boston University, and that she completed the study with her team.

And they did so by taking data from a Framingham Offspring Study. Then they tell you how many people were in the study and that their ages ranged from 30 to 64 when the study began, and also that all of them had normal blood pressure.

Without anymore details than that, this appears to be another one of the many misleading reductionist studies, because no one knows for sure exactly what each participant was doing during the 16 years of the study. For example were there any vegans in the study? Vegetarians? Were some of them practicing the Paleo diet? The Mediterranean diet? The Standard American Diet? There are to many possible variables to come to any reliable conclusion.

What is a reductionist approach from a medical standpoint? (Having a narrow focus)

https://www.google.com/search?q=What...ionist+approac


Limits of Reductionism in Medicine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1459480/

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-26-2022 at 08:50 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2022, 08:45 AM
 
8,795 posts, read 3,168,806 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just one of the numerous studies that shows salt does not increase blood pressure. Why do medical pros keep insisting that it does?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tant-as-sodium
I suffer from low blood pressure and can pass out.
I know that soy bullion or another salty drink will raise my BP almost immediately.
Happened during an exam at the doctors office last month (covid related). BP was 70/40.
I saw my bp rise real time with each drunk cup. i needed 3 cups. Doctor took BP readings every 2 minutes.
Water would not have the same effect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2022, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,435 posts, read 11,545,168 times
Reputation: 13723
From the various books I've read about sodium & blood pressure, the issue with blood pressure is the balance between sodium, potassium and magnesium.

We Americans consume a very heavy sodium load--and a much lighter potassium/magnesium load. In fact, many of us are mag deprived--and the same for potassium.

I know when I eat a whole lot of salads or vegetables steamed or in soup, my BP goes down.

Why? Because I'm getting a good amount of mag/potassium.

I don't salt my soup--just add lots of good herbs and a bit of cayenne to flavor it.

It takes effort to get enough magnesium/potassium-rich foods into our diets.

But Oh! That salt shaker is within easy reach, isn't it??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2022, 09:08 AM
 
770 posts, read 259,991 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
From the various books I've read about sodium & blood pressure, the issue with blood pressure is the balance between sodium, potassium and magnesium.

We Americans consume a very heavy sodium load--and a much lighter potassium/magnesium load. In fact, many of us are mag deprived--and the same for potassium.

I know when I eat a whole lot of salads or vegetables steamed or in soup, my BP goes down.

Why? Because I'm getting a good amount of mag/potassium.

I don't salt my soup--just add lots of good herbs and a bit of cayenne to flavor it.

It takes effort to get enough magnesium/potassium-rich foods into our diets.

But Oh! That salt shaker is within easy reach, isn't it??
You're right because you're looking at it from the perspective of an overall, healthy, nutritious diet.

But the study itself was led by Lynn L. Moore, associate professor of medicine.

All the more reason for the study to have a narrow reductionist perspective, as I mentioned in my post above.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top