Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 12:20 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times

Advertisements

Friends, I'm wondering if I should be screened for aortic aneurysm, and I am trying to assess the benefits and risks of such a procedure. A doctor has made a tepid recommendation for it. Can you help?

I have no symptoms, wonderful lab test results, healthy diet and exercise and sleep habits. I fear frailty and incapacity more than death.

What are the odds of a false positive from the screening?
What is the mortality rate for elective abdominal aneurysm repair?
What is the rate of significant non-fatal complications for elective abdominal aneurysm repair?
What is the rate of hospital-acquired infections for surgery patients?
What is the rate of incidence of abdominal aneurysm crises in unscreened healthy people?

Male, into retirement years. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 01:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 1,543,613 times
do you have a family history? The one man I know who died from an aortic aneurysm, never thought about his father dying from the same thing, so was never screened. Both were in their 50s. Otherwise, I wouldnt bother. Dont know anyone who has been screened.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:33 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
All I can say is that of the two people I personally know who died of aneurysms - one had just turned 40, the other in his 60s - neither had ANY symptoms at all.

Why did your doc recommend that you be screened?

Old 08-15-2022, 01:42 PM

23,281 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Care to expand on what may have led your doc to make this "tepid" recommendation? Family history? Do you have risk factors or test results suggesting a possibility for one? Can't recall anyone I know receiving such a recommendation.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:48 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
No family history, I smoked a pipe when younger so doc is extrapolating that to say I fit this recommendation:

" The Task Force recommends one-time screening with an
ultrasound in men ages 65 to 75 who currently smoke or have smoked 100 cigarettes or more in the
past. This is a B recommendation."

SOurce: https://www.uspreventiveservicestask...ecbulletin.pdf

Here's what a "B" recommendation means: "The USPSTF recommends the service. There is high certainty that the net benefit is moderate or there is moderate certainty that the net benefit is moderate to substantial."

Old 08-15-2022, 06:39 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
My 29 year old grandson died unexpectedly six weeks ago from a brain aneurysm.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:53 PM

564 posts, read 677,666 times
No problem. I was just screened because my father died from it. It's not even a five minute abdominal cat scan with contrast. No need to worry.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:09 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
I have an Iliac aneurysm found on a scan of the lower abdomen for something completely unrelated. Have to get it checked from time to time in case it enlarges. The scan is no big deal.
Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:16 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,026,236 times
My Mom had one, found accidentally, surgery quite soon after, I would say go for it.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:06 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Friends, I'm wondering if I should be screened for aortic aneurysm, and I am trying to assess the benefits and risks of such a procedure. A doctor has made a tepid recommendation for it. Can you help?

I have no symptoms, wonderful lab test results, healthy diet and exercise and sleep habits. I fear frailty and incapacity more than death.

What are the odds of a false positive from the screening?

This screening if I read your info correctly is merely a recommendation and not a screening (which would require some sort of exam/test). There is always a "chance" for an error. Ultrasounds are pretty accurate and the interpretation reliable. I've seen hundreds of carotid ultrasounds. Easy peasy! Next good test is a CTA scan . . . computed tomography Angiography . . . it's a cat scan with injected contrast ... good test and good readability. MRA which is a MRI showing vascular structure and inflammation. Again well interpreted and probably the next to best test. Lastly an arteriogram , which is invasive, gives the best images IMO. All these tests are appropriate for diagnosis and very reliable so low odds.

What is the mortality rate for elective abdominal aneurysm repair?

Here's the stats from one Google site: "Mortality risks after elective AAA repair increased with age: 28-day mortality ranged from 3.3% to 27.1% in men and 3.8% to 54.3% in women, 5-year mortality from 12.9% to 78.1% in men and 24.3% to 91.3% in women"

What is the rate of significant non-fatal complications for elective abdominal aneurysm repair?

Although I'd like to answer this I feel you are bordering on fear and worry. See two respected surgeons independantly and ask these questions

What is the rate of hospital-acquired infections for surgery patients?

Different from hospital to hospital and region to region. Ask the prospective surgical facilities these rates.

What is the rate of incidence of abdominal aneurysm crises in unscreened healthy people?

I'm not going to Google research this item, you can. I will say i saw AA's frequently on basic assessment exams at shift beginnings. Some I could palpate but many I could hear via auscultation (stethoscope), they are not uncommon.

Male, into retirement years. Thanks in advance.

A few thoughts.

If it were me and I need a surgery to mediate concerns and worry I will do them even if risky.

Aneurisms are familial maladys.

If you have high blood pressure manage it and drop it as it is an issue if you have an acute aneurism (one determined to be high risk to leak or rupture).

Get a second opinion from a highly regarded vascular surgeon but do some preliminary screening (ultrasounds) and then get a 2nd opinion if anything is found. I'm a huge believer in that tact. If 2 independents say the same thing your trust level should go up exponentially.

If this is based on a light history of smoking I think this is a bunch of hoo ha . . . JMPO. You're a healthy and asymptomatic man!
30 year retired Neuro ICU nurse with 30 years experience in the field. This is more of a cardio vascular issue but we would frequently recover and care for these patients due to risk of stroke post procedure.I'll try to give my thoughts on this and a few other posts above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness