U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 02:30 PM

15,598 posts, read 10,626,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My wife and I both see our doctors together at the same time. Our doctors even encourage it. That way we get to know what our health conditions are and what needs to be done if necessary to correct any problems. This way we can remind each other if we forget what the doc said or forget to take medicines on time etc.
Everyone should know what the health conditions are of their spouse and/or loved ones. Support and care are very important.

Same here. MrsM and I always make double appointments (other than urologist of gyno, where we go together)

4 ears are always better than 2.

I love it when we go to the dermatologist and she walks in and says, "I see you two decided to get naked together, I wish more of my patients did the same"

BTY, all of our docs, except ENT, are female. Female doctors spend more time listening than talking!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 02:54 PM

27,585 posts, read 30,386,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
. You know how there's that thing about doctors not taking female patients as seriously.
I don't want to discard this statement, just because it can be true. Someone I know very casually just went through a very traumatic medical situation. She'd gone to several doctors with her suspicion of what was wrong, and they laughed her off and sent her away with antibiotics. Meanwhile, she was going into sepsis. Finally the situation resolved itself, she's on the mend, and it turns out she was right about what was happening. Did the doctors dismiss her because she was a woman, or because they were looking for horses and in this case the hoof sounds were actually from zebras? Who can say, but having an advocate isn't terrible idea, but maybe it's not necessary for a general well visit.

Old 08-16-2022, 03:48 PM

9,360 posts, read 12,476,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I Meanwhile, she was going into sepsis. Finally the situation resolved itself,
Sepsis does not just "resolve itself"

Old 08-16-2022, 04:31 PM
Status: "I have decided to be happy because it is good for my health" (set 27 days ago)

14,333 posts, read 10,440,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Usually when it resolves itself you end up with a room temperature pt.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:21 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,306,095 times
I only see female doctors for my female health issues. That started when I was young and had a couple of really negative experiences with male doctors.

It only stands to reason that even though he knows the plumbing he has no clue what it's like to live with it.

Where I live there is always a nurse in the room also to protect the doctor from false accusations, I imagine. I'm glad to have that extra person there.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:28 PM

27,585 posts, read 30,386,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
No, but the condition causing the sepsis did--she had an errant tampon lodged in her uterus, and it finally dislodged and she could remove it herself (since the doctors didn't take her seriously.)

22,830 posts, read 11,969,321 times
Quote:
have your spouse/SO come into the exam room w/ you & then do you have them come in usually or most of the time? I'm not really talking about urgent care or ER visits. I'm mainly talking about a regular, old doctor's appt. I ask to mainly you FEMALE patients out there because bringing in your husbands/SO might just help the doctor take you more seriously. You know how there's that thing about doctors not taking female patients as seriously.

Would it matter if the doctor you're seeing is a female too?

I'm about t see a new doctor (female) & my fiance' will gladly always go in w/ me to show support, but sometimes, I like that privacy to just talk 1-on-1 w/ the doctor since she's a female too. If the new doctor was a male, I'd definitely have my fiance' come in there w/ me.
Um, no.

Frankly, seems a bit creepy to me. But - to each their own.

8,090 posts, read 7,398,095 times
Quote:
..You know how there's that thing about doctors not taking female patients as seriously.

Would it matter if the doctor you're seeing is a female too?

I'm about t see a new doctor (female) & my fiance' will gladly always go in w/ me to show support, but sometimes, I like that privacy to just talk 1-on-1 w/ the doctor since she's a female too. If the new doctor was a male, I'd definitely have my fiance' come in there w/ me.
First, I am sixty-six and I have NEVER had another person attend a physician's visit with me, as an adult. I have NEVER had a doctor not take me seriously. I don't know where you are getting this from, because I've never heard of any such problem from anyone.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:31 PM

40,899 posts, read 53,086,026 times
As a male I would never expect Mrs. NBP to go into the examining room at a doctor's visit with me unless it's one where the bad news is likely (cancer diagnosis or some such) and she would be involved in the treatment.

Strangely coincidentally, she has an appointment tomorrow with a new primary doctor. Our previous one just retired so she'll be the first one of us to visit the replacement.

She did, however, wait in the waiting room when I had my heart attacks (the second one I got stents) as well as prostate biopsies. I waited, actually was in the room, for childbirth (that might be an "of course") and was in the waiting room when she had her shattered elbow glued, pinned and screwed back together (there was also a tightening of the screws a couple years later) and for her cataract surgery.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:07 PM

9,360 posts, read 12,476,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No, but the condition causing the sepsis did--she had an errant tampon lodged in her uterus, and it finally dislodged and she could remove it herself (since the doctors didn't take her seriously.)

Nope..a tampon cannot get into the uterus. And with the "miraculous" occasion that it happened, there would be no way it could "dislodge" with her removing it herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness