Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 12:05 PM

17 posts, read 16,627 times

Advertisements

Got this after staying at a Chicago hotel. What is this bug? Flee? Bed bug? What is the name of these skin rash conditions? I want to at least google the condition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 12:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Looks like Noseeums. Harmless but annoying.

You were bit while in the hotel? They are usually outside

Old 08-16-2022, 01:46 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
You've got scabies buddy. Getting more common from staying in motels because you can't always depend on the housekeeping help to change the sheets after each stay. Even in fancy upscale hotels, if someone sleeps in that bed with these and the sheets aren't changed and laundered, you can get them.

You need to go see a doctor and they will prescribe a cream to spread over your ENTIRE body. 14 days later, you repeat the process and the little bastards will be gone.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:54 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
As someone who had bed bugs, I consider myself an expert on them. Those are definitely not bed bug bites nor is that the bed bug insect in your picture.

I agree with the other poster, looks like scabies.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:59 PM

17 posts, read 16,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
You've got scabies buddy. Getting more common from staying in motels because you can't always depend on the housekeeping help to change the sheets after each stay. Even in fancy upscale hotels, if someone sleeps in that bed with these and the sheets aren't changed and laundered, you can get them.

You need to go see a doctor and they will prescribe a cream to spread over your ENTIRE body. 14 days later, you repeat the process and the little bastards will be gone.
Thanks! You mean it's a human-to-human infection or is it just because the person with scabies usually have the insects on their skin?

Old 08-16-2022, 07:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,229,422 times
I'm no expert but I think those are chigger bites not scabies. Scabies are transferred by skin-to-skin contact, and chiggers are picked up from tall grass and water sources. So neither have anything to do with the hotel room. They can't live in sheets or bed frames or inside suitcases. Also neither are visible to the naked eye, so whatever that bug is, it's probably not related to the bites.

If you've never had scabies before, it takes 2-6 weeks before the rash appears (if you have past exposure, the rash develops within a few days). Chiggers take about an hour for the initial welt to appear and itching begins around 12-24 hours. They tend to bite along hem lines and the edges of shoes.

And since scabies burrow and live under your skin until treated, you will continue to get more welts. Chiggers don't live on your skin, they just feed and move on. Once you moved out of their environment they found another food source. So unless the number of welts are continuing to increase, it's not scabies. Chigger welts wouldn't continue to increase, unless the source is actually at your home.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
I'm no expert but I think those are chigger bites not scabies. Scabies are transferred by skin-to-skin contact, and chiggers are picked up from tall grass and water sources. So neither have anything to do with the hotel room. They can't live in sheets or bed frames or inside suitcases. Also neither are visible to the naked eye, so whatever that bug is, it's probably not related to the bites.

If you've never had scabies before, it takes 2-6 weeks before the rash appears (if you have past exposure, the rash develops within a few days). Chiggers take about an hour for the initial welt to appear and itching begins around 12-24 hours. They tend to bite along hem lines and the edges of shoes.

And since scabies burrow and live under your skin until treated, you will continue to get more welts. Chiggers don't live on your skin, they just feed and move on. Once you moved out of their environment they found another food source. So unless the number of welts are continuing to increase, it's not scabies. Chigger welts wouldn't continue to increase, unless the source is actually at your home.
It's scabies. I hate to say it, but I'm an "expert". Involuntarily so and not that long ago. The ONLY possibility was at the hotel.

A lot of what you stated about scabies is true in that you won't generally notice it right away. Scabies from a hotel bed is common to get around the bottom of your body. You don't need skin to skin contact. Mine started on my feet just like the OP's and progressed up my legs. Everything I had looked EXACTLY like those pictures. I was nowhere near laying in grass to get chiggers. One thing about chiggers, those nasty little creatures usually love to exist, like you said, around hem lines and specifically around your waist and areas where your clothes fit tighter. My wife and a daughter got them from sitting in grass at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City once. They were itching and being driven crazy within hours.

OP, you need to go see a doctor. If it's scabies like I suspect, not only do you need to get a prescription for Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, but you'll also have to wash all your bedding and any clothes that you were in contact with.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:27 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,565,712 times
Here is some more awful, but important info on scabies. They are mites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies

Old 08-17-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
It's scabies. I hate to say it, but I'm an "expert". Involuntarily so and not that long ago. The ONLY possibility was at the hotel.

A lot of what you stated about scabies is true in that you won't generally notice it right away. Scabies from a hotel bed is common to get around the bottom of your body. You don't need skin to skin contact. Mine started on my feet just like the OP's and progressed up my legs. Everything I had looked EXACTLY like those pictures. I was nowhere near laying in grass to get chiggers. One thing about chiggers, those nasty little creatures usually love to exist, like you said, around hem lines and specifically around your waist and areas where your clothes fit tighter. My wife and a daughter got them from sitting in grass at Worlds of Fun in Kansas City once. They were itching and being driven crazy within hours.

OP, you need to go see a doctor. If it's scabies like I suspect, not only do you need to get a prescription for Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream, but you'll also have to wash all your bedding and any clothes that you were in contact with.
Made a mistake on the type of cream used to fight Scabies. It's actually called Permethrin Cream.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:14 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I've had scabies and the rash didn't look anything like your bites. It looked like this:

https://nltimes.nl/2018/06/06/scabie...dutch-students
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness