U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 01:04 PM

14,187 posts, read 25,025,750 times

Advertisements

I know I always post about "ask your doctor" - but.... my doctor left the practice to go concierge - saw the replacement once, not too impressed.
Anyway, I am pretty night blind and had gone to a neighbors house to pick something up after dark on Thurs. evening - I had forgotten how dark it is there and there are two diff. sets of steps (slate if that matters) - and tripped on a level and landed on my knee (he opened the door and then apologized as he knows I'm night-blind) - Anyway, kneecap was swollen, red and hot for several days - still now swollen - not hot. Tried icing (I don't have a compression, can't find my Ace bandage) - thoughts? Too late to get an Ace bandage?

The walk-in places are $$$ - if I need that fine, but don't want to hear "ice, elevation, etc.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 02:02 PM

18,439 posts, read 12,007,700 times
So, this is more a matter of "do as I say, but not as I do"?

Your knee being "red and hot" suggests more of an injury occurred than you thought. However, you're past that point now. What about OTC anti-inflammatories? Did you ever use any? Ice and proper use of a compression wrap can ease swelling and support your knee as it heals, possibly preventing further injury as you limp around trying to avoid pain. I would never attempt a diagnosis here. Regardless what it will cost you, you know what you need to do if it doesn't improve OP.

Old 08-16-2022, 05:40 PM

8,816 posts, read 5,344,313 times
Much pain or difficulty moving the knee? It's never too late for an Ace bandage or knee brace.

Probably a case of "it will get better" with time but then again, could be a break. Doctor might want to manipulate the knee to assess potential damage and/or get you an X-ray.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Much pain or difficulty moving the knee? It's never too late for an Ace bandage or knee brace.

Probably a case of "it will get better" with time but then again, could be a break. Doctor might want to manipulate the knee to assess potential damage and/or get you an X-ray.
Thank you - I got a bandage today (CVS doesn't have Ace brand, only theirs) - seeing how this works out (directions are confusing as are what I could find online, LOL) - thanks. I figure if it's still bad next week, might have to do something more.

Old 08-18-2022, 06:48 PM

699 posts, read 290,720 times
I just had a fall, really a crash, 9 days ago. Got up at about 6:30am and didn't have my slipper on fully and caught the corner of a rug and flew into a table and literally crashed full down on my knees. I'm a hearty woman so this really was a crash. Scared the hell out of me. When I righted myself, I checked my knees and if I had some horrible pain. Surprisingly, I had very little pain, more shock that it even happened. I rubbed my knees, and nothing was painful at all. This was quite a relief as I have a knee replacement in one knee and thought I might have ruined it. But luckily it was ok. Got myself up after a bit of maneuvering.

What I did was see if I could weight bear, walk and bend both knees. I could do all of those, but they were swollen and eventually horrible bruised. I did the ice, elevation and anti-inflammatory thing and figured I would just wait it out. There really wasn't anything else to do. After working in a hospital for 47yrs, going to the Dr., I knew what they would say to me, exactly what I had been doing. Today, the swelling is still there a bit, bruising is still there but less, and I still take anti-inflam. and ice a bit.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:24 AM

Thanks! I figured that's all a doctor or walk-in place would tell me. Same when I went down icy steps winter before last and think I fractured something in my foot. I taped it up, iced it, took it easy, etc. - fortunately, I'm only about 100 lbs. or both injuries probably would have been worse. Hope you feel better soon!

Old 08-19-2022, 09:23 AM

699 posts, read 290,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Thanks! I figured that's all a doctor or walk-in place would tell me. Same when I went down icy steps winter before last and think I fractured something in my foot. I taped it up, iced it, took it easy, etc. - fortunately, I'm only about 100 lbs. or both injuries probably would have been worse. Hope you feel better soon!
Thanks, much better here. I hope the same for you too. Although, thinking about getting rid of some area rugs.

Old 09-02-2022, 02:42 PM

Thought I would check w/you and see how you are doing now. Still hurting here (not as bad as before thank goodness) just decided to try Voltaren on it to see if that would help. Last night was 3 weeks and I know that we don't heal as quickly as younger days. Fingers crossed here.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:58 PM

Last Thursday night was 5 weeks - still having issues

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

16,750 posts, read 36,259,657 times
Well, here is my story. Last Thursday I fell off my bike. Landed HARD on my left knee buckled and bike on top of me. Many abrasions, I was bloody. Now mind you I usually think like you and tend to let things heal on their own, but this was serious - I knew I had to be seen right away. I went to Urgent Care and they were wonderful. They cleaned me up, took Xrays gave me crutches and a knee immobilizer. With my insurance I only had a copay of $10. So grateful

I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND you get yourself to an ortho - the longer you wait the worst it is going to be.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness