Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 01:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth2 View Post
Thank you, thank you. Yes the alcohol is a thing of the past for us too, and I agree people do not understand and try to get you to just take 1 drink! Ah, no.
I do hope this was an isolated incident, but I want to be prepared knowing what the onset signs are, what to do if it starts, etc. This is a crazy disease (if that is what it's called) The more you get into it the more confusing it is!
Again, thank you .
I forgot to mention that have small meals so as not to overstimulate the pancreas. When people are found lost and haven't eaten for days if they are fed right away then there is a high chance of pancreatitis. What they do is slowly give IV solutions and introduce solid food slowly. You don't give a person that has been starving for a few days a hamburger and stuff then.

Portions are important to not overdo it on special occasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 01:54 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,659,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
the weird thing about it was that I had a really bad stomach ache the day before. not necessarily unusual for me but husband had very severe pain 24 hrs later. which was dx as pancreatitis and he was in the hospital for a couple days. Related? Who knows?
Yeah see, it makes me wonder, is it something we ate? That's what has me so unnerved, the not knowing what caused it so we wont do it again. This was a very scary situation that I dont want my husband to ever repeat.

Old 08-18-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I forgot to mention that have small meals so as not to overstimulate the pancreas. When people are found lost and haven't eaten for days if they are fed right away then there is a high chance of pancreatitis. What they do is slowly give IV solutions and introduce solid food slowly. You don't give a person that has been starving for a few days a hamburger and stuff then.

Portions are important to not overdo it on special occasions.
Yes, that's what they did to my husband, first nothing by mouth, then after days when the pain subsided, with morphine, then they gave clear liquids. Man this is scary stuff.
Do you know what the signs are that an attack is coming on?

Old 08-18-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's what they did to my husband, first nothing by mouth, then after days when the pain subsided, with morphine, then they gave clear liquids. Man this is scary stuff.
Do you know what the signs are that an attack is coming on?
Signs? Things observered or visible by another? There's no outward signs that suggest an attack is on the way. The symptoms are a result of the pancreatic enzymes doing damage. Those are late symptoms. One has discomfort that isn't relieved by laying down. Most people are bent over up and some have pain radiating on the left side to the back. I personally try to expand the pants belt one hole to reduce pressure while eating. That's just me. Whatever makes him feel more comfortable I would go by that. I would also go by slow eating rather than fast just to control everything.

Do whatever it takes to avoid another attack which usually means that one needs to have a nice comfortable meal and avoid extremes.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
that happened to mine too. the drs never had a clue what caused it. They also tried to blame it on alcohol but my husband almost never drank. Been a few years and nothing further.
The highest incidence of pancreatitis is alcoholism and gallstones. The other cited are infectious causes in about 10% of cases.

I think the point though is that once you come down with pancreatitis that regardless of the initial trigger that one doesn't want to introduce other known causes into a known damaged pancreas.

I would hope they looked for gallstones apart from alcoholism. Infections can sometimes be evident based on symptoms. Sometimes they show up on blood tests.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:01 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
The highest incidence of pancreatitis is alcoholism and gallstones. The other cited are infectious causes in about 10% of cases.

I think the point though is that once you come down with pancreatitis that regardless of the initial trigger that one doesn't want to introduce other known causes into a known damaged pancreas.

I would hope they looked for gallstones apart from alcoholism. Infections can sometimes be evident based on symptoms. Sometimes they show up on blood tests.
yes they looked for other things etc but there was nothing. they also scoped him. saw some inflammation if I remember but no cause. blood work normal.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:03 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Yeah see, it makes me wonder, is it something we ate? That's what has me so unnerved, the not knowing what caused it so we wont do it again. This was a very scary situation that I dont want my husband to ever repeat.
made me wonder too. sure was a coincidence if there was no connection between my bad stomachache and his pancreatitis.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Signs? Things observered or visible by another? There's no outward signs that suggest an attack is on the way. The symptoms are a result of the pancreatic enzymes doing damage. Those are late symptoms. One has discomfort that isn't relieved by laying down. Most people are bent over up and some have pain radiating on the left side to the back. I personally try to expand the pants belt one hole to reduce pressure while eating. That's just me. Whatever makes him feel more comfortable I would go by that. I would also go by slow eating rather than fast just to control everything.

Do whatever it takes to avoid another attack which usually means that one needs to have a nice comfortable meal and avoid extremes.
Signs, as in my husband can feel so he knows one is coming on. Yes, you are well informed. Thank you for teaching us.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
yes they looked for other things etc but there was nothing. they also scoped him. saw some inflammation if I remember but no cause. blood work normal.
Yes mine too, every test imaginable. Nothing, came up with he has acid reflux so 'maybe' that set it off.
Gave him a prescription for that.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:23 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
A colleague spent 6 weeks in the hospital with pancreatitis. He was on IV drip for nutrition, as every time he tried to eat something, it made the pancreatitis worse. After 6 weeks, he was allowed to slowly start eating food again, and told not to drink alcohol for another 6 months. He's been OK since then. He did have long standing cholesterol issues, which contributed to the severity of the pancreatitis. This was in the Houston area, so he had some really good doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness