Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 10:48 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
In my opinion, for an antibiotic there's no reason to read the printed material. For anything else, the large sheet of very small print can go on and on forever, and they must know that the average person will find it difficult to follow for any length of time.
The material the pharmacy provides is usually one or a few pages on 8 by 10 paper in an easy to read format, not the product insert. I am looking at one for DH's amlodipine. It is less than two pages. It is from a mail order pharmacy and includes a number to call to speak with a pharmacist.

Refusing to read provided information is deliberately choosing to be ignorant about the medication.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:32 AM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I didn't like my knee surgeon. I knew him from High School where we were students at the time. Didn't like him then, either. He was a jock, a frat boy, an obnoxious self-entitled jerk.

But he's a damned good surgeon, one of the best knee guys in the country. I didn't select him as my doctor because he was likeable. I don't give a flying fart if the doctor is likeable or not. I care ONLY if he can a) explain in a way I can understand, b) direct me to useful resources if needed, and c) do the job he's hired to do in the least invasive way, with the lowest risk for complication, and the shortest recovery time.
All that proves is that you don't belong to an HMO.

And maybe you found a rating service that said, "...one of the best knee guys in the country."

Old 08-29-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The material the pharmacy provides is usually one or a few pages on 8 by 10 paper in an easy to read format, not the product insert. I am looking at one for DH's amlodipine. It is less than two pages. It is from a mail order pharmacy and includes a number to call to speak with a pharmacist.

Refusing to read provided information is deliberately choosing to be ignorant about the medication.
The medication I was talking about was a one time deal that lasted about one week. Otherwise I don't take medications. If it was something I had to take for the rest of my life it would have been a different story.

But I did talk to someone in the doctor's office who was supposed to be knowledgeable like an assistant to the doctor. She led me to believe it could be an infection when it wasn't and that's the only reason I took the medication. It turned out the red blotch under my left eye was from a bruise caused by a novocaine injection(s) needed for a root canal.

After taking the medication for the allotted time the bruise was a little better but still there. So I went back to the doctor's office for the second time. And, finally, he agreed to see me in person and gave a brief exam. That's when he explained that the red bruise was not caused by an infection. Evidently he gave some very deep injections that went all the way up near my left eye.

The first time I inquired about the redness under my eye he must have been too busy to see me in person. So his assistant took a picture of my eye then walked into the next room and showed it to him. If you know anything about this you would know that one big worry about root-canals is the possibility of infection not being cleaned out during the procedure. And the assistant told me that the nerve from the tooth runs up toward the eye. So, not having enough correct information led me to believe it was an infection. Otherwise, why was I not told I had a choice? I could either take the medication or not and just wait for the bruise to heal by itself. It was incomprehensible to me that a doctor would prescribe a medication to help heal a bruise.

During the exam when I told him I was worried that it was an infection, he said, "No!, it was bruising from the novocaine injections. But his poorly trained assistant had not told me that. Not knowing that, I naturally thought the medication was for an infection. And nothing on the insert seem to indicate exactly what it was for. It mostly talked about possible side effects.

Ignorance can also be on the part of those who think they know better when they don't know the whole story, because of the difficulty of explaining the whole story of what happened several months after the event. And I never imagined any doctor could be so stupid as to prescribe a medication for a bruise.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-29-2022 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I don't have a problem just calling it all health care. It's fewer syllables than, for instance "injury care," and so what anyway? You call it whatever you want and I'll do the same.

The last time I went to the doctor was for an injury and whatever they called it, they fixed it and restored my health, which was excellent before and is excellent again. That's really all I care about anyway.

Semantics and all that.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I didn't like my knee surgeon. I knew him from High School where we were students at the time. Didn't like him then, either. He was a jock, a frat boy, an obnoxious self-entitled jerk.

But he's a damned good surgeon, one of the best knee guys in the country. I didn't select him as my doctor because he was likeable. I don't give a flying fart if the doctor is likeable or not. I care ONLY if he can a) explain in a way I can understand, b) direct me to useful resources if needed, and c) do the job he's hired to do in the least invasive way, with the lowest risk for complication, and the shortest recovery time.
Bingo.

The orthopedic surgeon that did the surgery on my elbow fixed it, in spite of his terrible bedside manner. TERRIBLE. He was so awful that I actually filed a complaint against him and the hospital administrator called me - and when I went back for the followup the doctor was sweet as peaches to me. But in my complaint, I said "His bedside manner is terrible but he did a fabulous job on my elbow which in the end is all I really care about. That being said, being an orthopedic surgeon doesn't give anyone the right to be an arse hole." Which is true. But if I had to choose between arse hole who does great work, or great guy who does God only knows what - give me the arse hole.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't have a problem just calling it all health care. It's fewer syllables than, for instance "injury care," and so what anyway? You call it whatever you want and I'll do the same.
What you're really telling me is you're all upset about me giving my opinion.

Quote:
The last time I went to the doctor was for an injury and whatever they called it, they fixed it and restored my health, which was excellent before and is excellent again. That's really all I care about anyway.
Well, good for you!!!!

Quote:
Semantics and all that.
Yeah, the heck with semantics!!!!

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 08-29-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-29-2022, 12:55 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Someone who has such disdain for the medical field, maybe they'd be happier in alt-med.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:25 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Low good cholesterol is not a disease, and yet every time I get my test results my Standard Medical Doctor says I can improve it with more aerobic exercise and specific dietary modifications. So I guess that's health care.

Old 08-29-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
What you're really telling me is you're all upset about me giving my opinion.

Well, good for you!!!!

Yeah, the heck with semantics!!!!
No, if I was "really telling you that," I'd just tell you that. What I am "really" saying is what I really said, which was you call it whatever you want to and I'll call it whatever I want to.

I mean, so what? I don't want to call it "injury care" but maybe you do. So have at it.

My health was restored though so there's that.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:27 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, if I was "really telling you that," I'd just tell you that. What I am "really" saying is what I really said, which was you call it whatever you want to and I'll call it whatever I want to...
Bingo. Health care for me has been just that, health care. I've been in hospital for an inguinal hernia which is said to be congenital, and for PSVT catheter ablation, also congenital.

I've never had a disease and don't take medications, therefore the descriptor "disease care" does not make much sense in my case.

A friend of mine has only been in hospital once, for malaria picked up in Africa. He is also one who never goes to a doctor otherwise. So I guess he could call standard medicine "disease care" in his case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness