Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 02:34 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times

Advertisements

Unless you're going to a medical doctor for a routine check-up, you have to have a definite complaint.

If you have a pain, for example, the doctor might prescribe something to relieve the pain. That's a good example of standard disease care. The idea is to wait for something to go wrong and treat the symptoms, and not seek to find the root cause.

And many patients have come to believe that if they take a pill that makes them feel well, then they consider themselves to be in "good health." Or reducing cholesterol to "normal" levels, means, to them, they are in good health.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:03 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Well, not all health problems arise from disease or that other popular boogeyman "lifestyle choices". There are other reasons people request services from medical providers. Ever heard of injuries? Are you implying someone's congenital defect, fractured leg, collapsed lung, or damaged spinal cord shouldn't receive "standard healthcare" interventions? Of course you're not...are you?

Old 08-18-2022, 03:05 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

Old 08-18-2022, 04:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Not all ailments are diseases. At annual checkups they check not only for diseases but changes wirh your body. The same system that looks after and disease you may have but also vaccines and injuries.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Not all ailments are diseases. At annual checkups they check not only for diseases but changes wirh your body. The same system that looks after and disease you may have but also vaccines and injuries.
My annual checkup is preventative. That's why it's called a checkup. To make sure you're still on the path of "health." If your body has strayed in some way, they'll take steps to bring you back to health. If your body is still healthy, then they tell you, and send you on your way.

Old 08-18-2022, 05:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Unless you're going to a medical doctor for a routine check-up, you have to have a definite complaint.

If you have a pain, for example, the doctor might prescribe something to relieve the pain. That's a good example of standard disease care. The idea is to wait for something to go wrong and treat the symptoms, and not seek to find the root cause.

And many patients have come to believe that if they take a pill that makes them feel well, then they consider themselves to be in "good health." Or reducing cholesterol to "normal" levels, means, to them, they are in good health.
You're making no sense at all. Why would you go to a medical doctor for a NON-routine visit, if you don't have a complaint? Do you think we should call our doctor and say "I know my checkup two months ago said I'm fine, and my meds are perfect, my weight is good, my health is excellent, and my fitness and cognitive abilities are spot-on. But I'd like to come in again next month. Why? Oh - just because I want to. How's Thursday the 10th sound, in the morning?"

Old 08-19-2022, 05:57 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Well, disease is health. It is -health (negative health). So there! Solved that for you!

Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, not all health problems arise from disease or that other popular boogeyman "lifestyle choices". There are other reasons people request services from medical providers. Ever heard of injuries? Are you implying someone's congenital defect, fractured leg, collapsed lung, or damaged spinal cord shouldn't receive "standard healthcare" interventions? Of course you're not...are you?
Your first one "injuries" would come under the heading of "injury-care."

Your second one "congenital defects" are "genetic diseases" and would come under the heading of "disease-care". You've heard of congenital heart disease?

Old 08-19-2022, 07:47 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post

There is a standard of care for those as well. Before my dad retired, he was working on standards for a specific set of conditions with the idea that insurance would pay out for that treatment regardless of whether the patient pursued that treatment. I don’t know what ended up happening with that, but the idea was that this would prevent providers from automatically recommending the most expensive treatment if it wasn’t the treatment option that provided the most benefit for the price. For example, if a medicine is $20 and effective with 95% of patients, while another medicine is $1000 and effective with 97% of patients, there is now no incentive to offer the $1000 pill- especially when we are talking disease care that will likely require this medication over months instead of a short course of 5 pills.

Certainly doctors DO look to find the root cause of a disease. For example, if you have diabetes, it’s not unusual to go to a dietician to look at your diet and figure out how to improve your A1c through eating properly. If you have heart problems, you’ll likely be encouraged to improve your diet and exercise. However, doctors can’t just rely on those tools.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?
That's a North Beach problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness