Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 01:06 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times

Advertisements

Just one of the numerous studies that shows salt does not increase blood pressure. Why do medical pros keep insisting that it does?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tant-as-sodium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 01:27 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
That is an unreliable source, in that it doesn't provide any link to the research that it's actually quoting (where do the quotes come from?) It also does not appear that Lynn Moore presented at the conference in 2017 that the article claims. This is why double-checking sources is important.

Searching on the researcher herself, it looks like these papers might be based on the studies mentioned:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33011774/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7832857/

The earlier paper does claim that the increased risk of cardiovascular disease is linked with intake of more than 5g of salt a day, which is more than the current recommended quantity.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:55 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,114,371 times
You can find numerous studies that have concluded that salt does not cause high bp in most people.

and this study is listed

“These long-term data from the Framingham Study provide no support for lowering sodium intakes among healthy adults to below 2.3 grams per day as recommended. This study does support the finding of a clear inverse association between potassium, magnesium, and calcium and blood pressure change over time.”

Old 08-13-2022, 02:20 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Just one of the numerous studies that shows salt does not increase blood pressure. Why do medical pros keep insisting that it does?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...tant-as-sodium
The salt restriction thing is a combination of its place in medical history and the tendency for researchers to always find problems rather than find they don't exist-- It has to do with ensuring future research grant money...No problem = no more money.

Prior to the development of anti-hypertensive meds (not that long ago-- 70 yrs or so), the only way to treat elevated BP was to place the pt on a strict "rice & water" diet-- that would provide practically no Na at all. The pt would become dehydrated & hyponatremic. Blood volume and, therefore, BP fell (but not all that much).

The first effective drugs for BP were diuretics-- more Na excreted and water had to follow-- same effect as before, but at least now the pt could take in some food (like meat/protein) that has a little Na in it...but tradition always is slow to vanish in medicine, so the low salt diet advice was continued.

Pts with fairly severe kidney, liver or heart disease (CHF) and a few endocrine problems need to limit Na intake. Nobody else does, although some people do abuse the freedom...I just want to walk over and slap those goofs at a pizza parlor who start pouring the salt all over their pie even before they taste it.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:41 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Yeah, a study is not a person.

My BP is normal now, snice I started closely watching my salt intake.

Before, I had seen it as high as 160/110.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:01 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You can find numerous studies that have concluded that salt does not cause high bp in most people.

and this study is listed

Please show us reliable studies

And, if you want salt, eat salt! It's your body

Foe me, I'll pass on the salt

Old 08-13-2022, 03:05 PM

722 posts, read 598,373 times
I don't have any studies or articles, but what I understood to be the case is that salt won't give you high blood pressure, but if you have high blood pressure you should restrict salt. That it aggravates underlying high BP. Not true?

Old 08-14-2022, 12:33 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Salt (sodium) is essential to our bodies. Normally your kidneys control your level of salt. If you consume too much salt, the kidneys pass it into the urine. But when our salt intake levels are very high, the kidneys might not be able to keep up, and the salt can remain in the body.1

Salt attracts water to balance the concentration in the blood. When there is too much salt in the blood, the salt draws more water into the blood. More water increases the volume of blood, which raises blood pressure.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/salt-...ood%20pressure.

Old 08-14-2022, 02:01 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
^^^ basically right, but much more complicated than that...A healthy person has the ability to compensate for increased blood volume by allowing elastic blood vessels to stretch, keeping BP down, and by adjusting the output in the renin/angiotensin system to reduce blood volume...Older folks have stiffer blood vessels, so they don't stretch and kidney function deteriorates with age, so Na/water/blood volume becomes less able to respond adequately...That's why a simple diuretic can be so effective in lowering BP in the elderly.

There are fancy formulae for calculating how much water & electrolytes need to be replaced in pts on IVs-- very important for nephrologists handling things in a renal failure case...Med students and the occasional intern get bent out of shape tying to make use of the formulae when ordering routine IVs in a routine hosp pt..... I always told them to forget the math, just order a little more than the normal daily requirement-- healthy kidneys will make adjustments way more efficiently & accurately than you can ever do it by calculations.

We need salt--- and it's difficult to get from just "natural" food. That's why salt licks are so important in the wild. We have a natural drive to seek it...Roman legionnaires were paid in salt-- hence the word "salary."...Just don't go nuts for it, and if you have those certain maladies, then restrict it.

For those who demand more proof-- take your pick
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=avast&q=ne...gerated&ia=web

Old 08-14-2022, 11:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Default My weird salt story

I have POTS , I am my own 'Study'.... POTS: all that means is severe LBP esp standing up.
So the doctor said to increase my salt intake, that did nothing...WHY?
Because Miss Smarty Pants was doing pink Himalayan salt...that doesn't raise your BP much.
So I switched to the iodized Table Salt and VOILA! I can walk to the mailbox and not feel faint
and with no tachycardia, 156 beats...fast heart rate. (the 'T' in POTS)

It constricts my vessels...thank God.
Ha, someone with HBP would not want that.
I'm pretty much a normal person now...also daily Rosemary tea, while on the BP subject.

But forget one morning ?---bad news, it's like I have Mono, no energy at all. BP 86/56. Geeze.
In 40 minutes after salty broth with added salt, I'm normal for many hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness