Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 12:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times

Advertisements

Some points from ENT's about swimmers ear and how to treat it and when to seek additional help. It's a part of the choosing wisely campaign to aid PCPs.

https://www.choosingwisely.org/patie...ar-infections/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 01:23 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Swimmer's Ear is usually caused by water activating spores of Pseudomonas in the external auditory canal...Preventiion can be accopmpished by merely using a hair dryer to dry out your ears real good after swimming, bathing, being water-boarded, etc.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:13 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Good to know. Think he is going to stop swimming for awhile. LOL

No need to stop swimming. Just hit the ear drops once he gets out of the pool. You can get a small bottle of it at Walgreens, etc. and it goes right in my swim bag.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:25 PM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Swimmer's Ear is usually caused by water activating spores of Pseudomonas in the external auditory canal...Preventiion can be accopmpished by merely using a hair dryer to dry out your ears real good after swimming, bathing, being water-boarded, etc.
Pseudomonas is an aerobic gram negative rod that is a the group of lactose non-fermentors and non-spore forming.

The single characteristic that everybody remembers and quite unique is the green fluorescent protein it produces on media.

Old 08-31-2022, 05:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If someone is being water-boarded, I would think Swimmer's Ear would be the least of their concerns!

Old 08-31-2022, 06:52 PM

840 posts, read 773,289 times
The purpose / function of :

- rubbing alcohol is to help dry it out faster & effectively (& thereby prevent fungal infection);

- vinegar is to kill or prevent fungal infections (which often cause itching, initially);

If I put any oil in my ear, I use pure/organic Coconut Oil (a natural: anti-viral, anti-fungal, antibiotic, &

an 'anti-tiny-parasitic'. It's also a great natural anti-inflammatory, & keeps the ear canal from getting too dry!

Old 08-31-2022, 07:52 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i love swimming, but as a teenager and young adult had to stop altogether swimming with my head underwater, and even avoid getting water in my ears at all even when i shower, because i kept getting ear infections so bad. So for decades all my swimming (i still love to swim) has has been with my head above water.

with every accident or injury i've ever had, getting in the pool has aided my recovery time, comfort level, and decreased pain significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness