Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2022, 06:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My dad used to have a saying "It's hell getting old!" He said this in his Spanish accent, which added to the whole drama of it all. Yeah, I am 73 this month, and all the big problems for me started right when I turned 70. Trying hard to keep positive. I am sure you feel that yourself. We are due for some good things for sure!
And I am ready for them!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 07:16 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
We never thought we were old until DH tripped over something in the middle of the night and ended up in hospital with some broken things.

Since then we have tried to be super aware of things that could go wrong in future and installed more grab bars, some at the beginning and ends of stairs, and ditched the throw rugs (well, most of them, anyway), and tried to think before we do silly things like carrying an armload of stuff so big we can't see where we're going, and always carry our phones if we're going out without each other.

All you can do is do the things people keep ranting about online and elsewhere, and hope most of them work. (Hope you're doing better by now, KA)

Old 09-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Update: Out of the sling for the most part and my arm is weaker and still hurts but not badly if that makes sense. Going back to the doctor in a few weeks. It was a long fracture, not a complete break in two so I think things are going well. We'll see, I guess!

Old 09-28-2022, 09:13 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,167 times
Sounds like the worst part is over and you are on your way to healing. I think things will go very well for you!

Old 09-28-2022, 09:51 AM

7,475 posts, read 3,215,853 times
Oh good, start using it as you can to build back the muscle. We atrophy so darned fast, but, it takes a long time to recover. Kind of like how easy it is to gain weight and how hard it is to lose weight.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh good, start using it as you can to build back the muscle. We atrophy so darned fast, but, it takes a long time to recover. Kind of like how easy it is to gain weight and how hard it is to lose weight.

Haha, good analogy! I am starting to move first my elbow and now my shoulder as well. So far so good.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:42 PM

The really really weird thing about all this is that the night before I fell, alone in my house, I had a very vivid dream that I was saying "Alexa, call 9-1-1. Alexa. Call 9-1-1." I didn't actually say that but I thought it was weird that 1) I am not afraid to be alone but 2) my subconscious was apparently trying to let me know that I'd be OK no matter what happens. It was like it was trying to prepare me for a semi catastrophe that was coming.

Things could have been so, so much worse.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:57 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
My, my, my. So you had ruptured your achilles tendon & I don't know the cause or how long ago that was. Now your arm too!

Now, I've never broken a limb, but I'm seeing that once you're in your 40s, things do seem to start happening.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:32 AM

3,423 posts, read 2,390,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My, my, my. So you had ruptured your achilles tendon & I don't know the cause or how long ago that was. Now your arm too!

Now, I've never broken a limb, but I'm seeing that once you're in your 40s, things do seem to start happening.
Maybe that's how it's happening for her.

For me, I broke my arm when I was 10 by skipping across the street to the school bus stop and slipping on the ONLY patch of ice on the road.

Then, when I was 20, I was in a crash (I was a passenger) and broke my left femur, left radius and ulna, clavicle, two ribs, had spinal trauma, jarred my upper front teeth loose, and had multiple bruises on the left side of my body.

By age 30 I had developed degenerative disk disease from the crash 10 years prior.

Fast forward - I'm 61 and will likely need a hip replacement next year. But I haven't broken a bone since. I do have osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, another disk is disintegrating on my spine, and had to have my third and last cortisone shot for the hip a few months ago. I'm not allowed to ever have another one (which is why the next stop is hip replacement - I'm bone on bone).

I've become MORE graceful than I was when I was a kid. My balance has improved, I can stand on one foot almost indefinitely, I can still sit cross-legged, I can still do a cartwheel, and I know more dance moves now than I did when I was a latin hustle competitor in the late 1970's.

My secret: after the accident the doctor told me I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. I set out to prove him wrong. I embraced this mantra: move until you can't. I'm still moving.

Old 10-02-2022, 06:20 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Maybe that's how it's happening for her.

For me, I broke my arm when I was 10 by skipping across the street to the school bus stop and slipping on the ONLY patch of ice on the road.

Then, when I was 20, I was in a crash (I was a passenger) and broke my left femur, left radius and ulna, clavicle, two ribs, had spinal trauma, jarred my upper front teeth loose, and had multiple bruises on the left side of my body.

By age 30 I had developed degenerative disk disease from the crash 10 years prior.

Fast forward - I'm 61 and will likely need a hip replacement next year. But I haven't broken a bone since. I do have osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, another disk is disintegrating on my spine, and had to have my third and last cortisone shot for the hip a few months ago. I'm not allowed to ever have another one (which is why the next stop is hip replacement - I'm bone on bone).

I've become MORE graceful than I was when I was a kid. My balance has improved, I can stand on one foot almost indefinitely, I can still sit cross-legged, I can still do a cartwheel, and I know more dance moves now than I did when I was a latin hustle competitor in the late 1970's.

My secret: after the accident the doctor told me I'd be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. I set out to prove him wrong. I embraced this mantra: move until you can't. I'm still moving.
This is very encouraging to me. I too have degenerative disc disease. Have almost the same issues as you. As I posted previously I broke my patella and it is the most horrible debilitating thing ever. I have a long road back. But I really want to do my long walks and dance again so I cling to hope. There are days I think I can't make it. Strange for me, because I am always the "forever optimist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness