Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 06:46 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...sk-about-guns/

Quote:
I know I’m not the only one who dislikes, postpones or even attempts to avoid doctors’ visits. There are just not many places where one can feel so vulnerable and so violated … and where so many ultra-personal medical and non-medical questions may be thrown at you as if you were participating in some uncomfortably inquisitive dating game.

You know the routine. After waiting and filling out paperwork (and waiting some more), you must honestly address the list of questions: “When was your last check-up?” “How often do you exercise?” “Do you smoke?” “How many alcoholic drinks do you consume in a week?” “Is there a gun in your home

FYI, excellent article from USCCA

In 6 decades I've only been asked 2 of those. "Do you/did you smoke" and "How much do you drink." Both of which are quite relevant to one's health, and helpful for the doctor to consider or rule out certain conditions.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:10 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

Because USCCA isn't biased at all.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Instead of asking the question, perhaps doctors should just give patients brochures on safe storage of firearms and on firearm safety, topics where far too many people who own firearms sadly have no clue at all. Basic things, like "If there are young children around, don't keep you handgun on the coffee table".

Old 09-12-2022, 10:46 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Accidents are the 4th leading cause of death in this country, which includes accidental shootings, and medical personnel are paying more attention to what they can do to prevent these deaths. The question of gun ownership, as well as seat belt usage, are usually now included in a wellness exam for that reason. Pediatric practices ask because of the risks of children finding unsecured guns and shooting themselves or someone else, along with questions about car seat usage, etc. It's no different than doctors asking questions about smoking, exercise, diet, and alcohol/drug use to help with disease prevention, except it's directed at trauma rather than disease. It has nothing to do with promoting a political agenda. We spend billions in this country every year to treat preventable diseases and trauma.
A sane response.

Old 09-12-2022, 11:24 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
I thought you all were so very proud of your guns? you should be answering 'damn right there are'?

Old 09-13-2022, 05:15 AM

6,409 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I thought you all were so very proud of your guns? you should be answering 'damn right there are'?
People are "proud of their guns", however they are also VERY aware of the Government's desire to either take them away from the general public, or greatly restrict their ownership. For instance, look at what was just proposed, that any credit card transaction that involves the purchase of a gun or ammunition, will have to be reported to some Federal agency.

Problem is, the people who are creating the "gun violence issues" are the least likely to have a valid credit card, in the first place. And secondly, look at NY Governor Kathy Hochul. She's trying to "out California" with her proposed anti-gun legislation. She's essentially trying to turn NY into a "gun free STATE".

"Gun free" for those who follow the law, that is...............

Old 09-13-2022, 05:20 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Sounds like this is the new government data mining.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:33 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Accidents are the 4th leading cause of death in this country, which includes accidental shootings, and medical personnel are paying more attention to what they can do to prevent these deaths. The question of gun ownership, as well as seat belt usage, are usually now included in a wellness exam for that reason. Pediatric practices ask because of the risks of children finding unsecured guns and shooting themselves or someone else, along with questions about car seat usage, etc. It's no different than doctors asking questions about smoking, exercise, diet, and alcohol/drug use to help with disease prevention, except it's directed at trauma rather than disease. It has nothing to do with promoting a political agenda. We spend billions in this country every year to treat preventable diseases and trauma.
Do you have a vehicle at your house, do you drive it? Do you have more than one? Do you keep them locked up in a garage in a secure place....LOL!!

Old 09-13-2022, 06:04 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Sounds like this is the new government data mining.
This was my feeling, too. The form in question is used annually and required by medicare. I am not at all embarrassed to say I have a gun in the house, but don’t think it’s the government’s business.

On the other hand, I doubt there is enough competence or follow through in either doctors offices or the government to be keeping track of senior citizens forms.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:13 AM

938 posts, read 390,375 times
Just had my wellness checkup yesterday and there were no questions regarding guns in the house. I was fully prepared to say it was none of their business. Dr was in and out in just a couple of minutes and didn't seem too interested even when I described an episode where I was having chest and upper back pains.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness