Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 09:02 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,758,541 times

Advertisements

I got the Pfizer bivalent booster on 10/7. On 10/26 began to feel a bit ill, tested positive for Covid the next day.

My wife preceeded me in getting sick by almost a week, so we're pretty sure I got it from her. She had a non bivalent booster in August before a trip to SE Asia.

Obviously, neither kind of booster prevented us from becoming infected. Nevertheless, I still believe they are likely to decrease odds of both infection and more prolonged/severe disease. My wife had sore throat, sneezing and drippy nose but these symptoms didn't slow her down a bit and she's now testing negative after about a week of being positive.

Sore throat and drippy nose for me, no sneezing. I will test later next week, hopefully by then it will be a negative for me too.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:58 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I got the Pfizer bivalent booster on 10/7. On 10/26 began to feel a bit ill, tested positive for Covid the next day.

My wife preceeded me in getting sick by almost a week, so we're pretty sure I got it from her. She had a non bivalent booster in August before a trip to SE Asia.

Obviously, neither kind of booster prevented us from becoming infected. Nevertheless, I still believe they are likely to decrease odds of both infection and more prolonged/severe disease. My wife had sore throat, sneezing and drippy nose but these symptoms didn't slow her down a bit and she's now testing negative after about a week of being positive.

Sore throat and drippy nose for me, no sneezing. I will test later next week, hopefully by then it will be a negative for me too.
It doesn't sound like the shots did anything for either of you because the symptoms you had are the symptoms of the new COVID. My daughter had the same thing, she's not vaccinated. She's had omicron in January.

You can google the symptoms of new COVID. It's like a cold now. The flu symptoms are worst than new COVID.

Old 10-30-2022, 09:54 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,334,564 times
So far I have not felt sick, but if I did get flu like symptoms, I do not think I would bother getting tested. Why bother if you have had all four Covid vaccinations? It will not change anything.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
So far I have not felt sick, but if I did get flu like symptoms, I do not think I would bother getting tested. Why bother if you have had all four Covid vaccinations? It will not change anything.
Possibly to be a bit more careful about avoiding spreading it to others?

Don't need flu symptoms either, simply mild cold symptoms can be an indication.

Now I don't seem to have any symptoms, yet still test positive with the at home kits.

Old 10-31-2022, 11:16 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
It will HOPEFULLY change your behavior as to risking others to exposure.

Old 10-31-2022, 03:49 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Got my bivalent Thu. evening. I'd been having a bit of a cold with headache earlier in the week so was worried I might have finally gotten COVID but I tested negative - otherwise I'd have had to reschedule. I had a pretty sore arm for about 48 hours and felt a little spacey/out of it but part of that may still have been my cold. But not much different than my other COVID shots so it was fine.

I'd waited 5 months since my last booster but wanted to be a bit ahead of whatever the season brings. And I got my regular flu shot the weekend before so now I'm set!

Old 10-31-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Possibly to be a bit more careful about avoiding spreading it to others?

Don't need flu symptoms either, simply mild cold symptoms can be an indication.

Now I don't seem to have any symptoms, yet still test positive with the at home kits.
I have heard those home test kits are far, far from reliable. I have never used one and do not intend to do so. Friend have told me getting tested is painful, so no for me. I have had 4 Covid vaccinations, and that is good enough for me. If I become sick, I am not going to try to figure out if it is Covid, flu, or just some mundane cold. I know other people want to know what it is if they feel sick, but I really do not care.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It will HOPEFULLY change your behavior as to risking others to exposure.
Risking others to exposure?? Seriously?? I do not leave my home even on a weekly basis many weeks much less on a daily basis. While so many people were whining that they just could not stand being away from friends, etc., during lockdown, I thought to myself, what in bloody hell are you complaining about??? I have lived that way for MANY years since I retired. I see and talk to fewer people in 6 months than most people do in one week. So, even if I did contract Covid, I am not bloody likely to pass it on to anyone else.

The upshot here is you do NOT know what other people's lives are like, so do not proselytise about the spread of Covid, okay?

Old 11-01-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I have heard those home test kits are far, far from reliable. I have never used one and do not intend to do so. Friend have told me getting tested is painful, so no for me. I have had 4 Covid vaccinations, and that is good enough for me. If I become sick, I am not going to try to figure out if it is Covid, flu, or just some mundane cold. I know other people want to know what it is if they feel sick, but I really do not care.
At the onset of Covid the early testing was arguably painful, though I'm a bit squeamish and did not find it to be.

Regarding the home tests, I had an illness in April of this year that was a bit nasty and long lasting. Tested myself three times during those three weeks and never got a positive. Several other people in my community caught the same bug and were tested at clinics, all negative. One guy tested for flu and strep, both negative. What the heck was it?

During this recent bout of very mild Covid for my wife and I, both of us have tested positive. She's now testing negative. Given these experiences, my impression is that the home tests are fairly accurate if performed properly.

As a health care provider, it's important for my wife to know so as not to pass it on unwittingly. She tests every week, symptoms or not.

For me, I have an immunocompromised sister who I do not want to infect. Also, I believe it's just common courtesy to either avoid the public or wear a mask when out while infectous.

Other than for these reasons, it's not important for me to know. I suspect that for some people they'd be better off NOT knowing, so they'd be less likely to "freak out" about it.

With 4 vaccinations, if you get the virus it will likely be quite mild or asymptomatic.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:15 PM

I had my flu shot this morning, so I am all set for season now. Any time I do go out, I wear a mask, and I wash my hands frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness