Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:50 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I worked in an Emergency Room the night shift, and after I retired, I began to see problems with my ability to sleep.

Can someone please recommend good-over-the counter ones. I have used Somnapure and Midnight, neither one has helped me.....

Thank you so very much.....
Are you having problems falling asleep or staying asleep? Melatonin can help with falling asleep. If your problem is staying asleep, I would recommend consulting a doctor for any underlying health conditions which may wake you up (sleep apnea, pain that interrupts your sleep, etc.)

Like was mentioned earlier, if you wake up in the middle of night and don't immediately fall back to sleep, get out of bed and do something (read a book, meditate, stretch, listen to music), more than likely you will get tired and fall back asleep again. Tossing and turning, waiting for sleep to come isn't productive at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2022, 11:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
My wife and I each take 1/2 of a Delta 8 gummie in the evening around 8pm and they have greatly improved our ability to fall to sleep and sleep through the night. Now if I can get the dog to stop waking us up at 5am to go out?

These Gummies are derived from Hemp and I believe are available in all 50 states as of now and can be purchased online and mailed directly to you.
THIS^^ I've had great luck curing my restlessness and insomnia by taking a Delta 8 gummie around 6 pm....by 9 I am tired and sleep through the night. Highly recommend.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:24 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I've never tried using CBD for sleep, but I do use Cannabis (THC).

Marijuana is far safer than any of those pills people are recommending. I also found it suppresses my dreams and allows me to remain asleep longer. Physically, it's pretty much non addictive. Psychologically you can develop dependencies on it for sleeping, no different than the pills.

Try doing some micro dosing with edibles if your state is legal.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Zzzzz or Zzzzquil is also dyphenhydramine, BTW. Save some money; buy the generic. Also, if you're practicing intermittent fasting, a simple pill swallowed doesn't interfere with it like sugary liquids or flavored dissolvables/chewables.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
THIS^^ I've had great luck curing my restlessness and insomnia by taking a Delta 8 gummie around 6 pm....by 9 I am tired and sleep through the night. Highly recommend.
Delta 8 is getting some bad press on a certain trash TV reality show I watch; after seeing that, I'd be afraid to try it, although I see it advertised on my small town's Main Street...

Old 09-20-2022, 06:55 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times
I have suffered from chronic insomnia for many years. For several years, I averaged four or less hours of sleep a night. I have tried most meds (both OTC and prescription), got a sleep study (which showed I did not have sleep apnea). I have tried Cognitive Behavior Therapy, various beddings and sleep sound machines, sleep hygiene practice (pretty much what L00k4ward suggested.) I tried sleep journals and even Guatemalan Worry Dolls (https://www.amazon.com/Six-Large-Wor.../dp/B009BCN59G) There was no magic bullet, various things worked at various times. Over the years, I have been able to improve from four hours a night to usually 6 to 7 hours.

One thing I found highly useful was to get a wrist fitness monitor and a fitness app that monitors sleep stages, heartrate, heartrate variability, breaths per minute, SPO2 etc. That is not as good as a clinical study, of course, but it can allow you to compare sleep and vital sign trending over time as you try different things. What works for others may or may not work for you. For example, many people swear by OTC diphenhydramine. It seemed to help me sleep more soundly, but I was very surprised when I reviewed my sleep data. My normal 13 breaths per minute sleeping spiked to 32 per minute, and my heart rate variability from 14 to 35 msec. I thought that was a fluke so tried it on several different nights with the same results. So, I won't be using diphenhydramine. Long boring monotonous books (Plato's Republic) and podcasts (Sleep With Me) help me sleep faster, as I put them on a timer and my fitness app shows I've dropped off to sleep well before they are finished. If I wake up, I may ask my smart speaker to play Sedative Meditation Music at low volume or special sound effects (running stream and crickets is a favorite.)

My sleep is often interrupted, and I have a hard time getting back to sleep. If I am still wandering around at O.M.G. AM after 30/45 minutes, I fix myself a night toddy of 8 oz milk, a teaspoon of honey, a quarter teaspoon of ground nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of brandy to it, and then heat the mug contents gently in the microwave. That concoction often puts me back to sleep but it always cheers me up. The hot milk and nutmeg are known sedatives. Be sure not to add much more than a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg, as it can be toxic at high levels (2 tsp or more), and higher concentrations of alcohol may help you sleep faster, but it won't help you sleep longer.

Good Luck. Know thyself, and you should be able to make things better with time.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:17 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Hydroxyzine knocks me out for 7 hours. I had a bad case of eczema last year and basically spent the night scratching. My dermatologist prescribed it and I'm out within 20 minutes. I quit taking them after the rash went away so now I guard the remaining tablets with my life and only take one when It's 2AM and I'm wide awake.

Old 09-21-2022, 09:48 PM

6,945 posts, read 6,869,734 times
As Norty Flatz said earlier, I think anyone who used to work in the Emergency Department will need some therapy to get over the trauma of all those patients. Whether you realise it or not, you will have absorbed the fear and suffering of those people and it will probably affect you unless you take steps to release it.

I am not surprised you cannot sleep as your subconscious is reliving and processing all those events you experienced. If you are worried about the cost of therapy, then I suggest you look up EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and similar therapies as they are often free to learn and effective at releasing persistent thoughts and worries as well as deeply embedded issues. I have posted about EFT in other threads on here.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:12 PM

I don't see the OP claiming that she can't sleep due to "trauma"; it's more likely because she's now trying to sleep at night whereas formerly she slept during the day and worked nights. Her internal clock is messed up and needs to be reset...

Old 09-21-2022, 10:14 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,996,667 times
It's a liquid rather than a pill, but I've had good results from Zzzquil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness