Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 05:07 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,157 times

Advertisements

I worked in an Emergency Room the night shift, and after I retired, I began to see problems with my ability to sleep.

Can someone please recommend good-over-the counter ones. I have used Somnapure and Midnight, neither one has helped me.....

Thank you so very much.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 05:19 PM

6,966 posts, read 4,807,617 times
Most otc sleep aids rely on dyphenhydramine as the active ingredient. It works, but tends to give some a groggy feeling the next morning.

The one that is different is Unisom, which has doxcylamine as the active ingredient. This works well, but, for me at least, does not have that groggy effect the next day.

There are combo otc sleep aids, most use dyphenhydramine. I also seem to build a resistance to dyphenhydramine, moreso than doxcylamine.

Then there is melatonin, which is a natural sleep aid. I have read that you shouldn’t take that for longer than, say, a week. You can also find blends which include melatonin. You should take tge smallest amount of melatonin that works for you at first.

You have to read the ingredients closely.

And then there’s cannibis.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:35 PM

728 posts, read 463,392 times
My doctor told me that I can safely take 10 mg of Melatonin every night for as long as I want or need. It really helps. But you should ask your doctor to be sure.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times
I have used dyphenhydramine in the past which is in many over-the-counter sleep aids and anti-allergy pills such as Benadryl. Unfortunately there have been studies done that link diphen to Alzheimers, it's a correlation, not a cause. So as much as I LOVE this sleep aid I stay away unless nothing else gets me sleep.

Today I read about a breathing practice called 478 that is effective for sleeping. Google it and see if it might help. I think CNN ran the article but 478 has been around a long while and is safe. Basically you breathe in your nose count of 4, hold your breath for count of 7 and breath out your mouth count of 8.

Good luck

Old 09-17-2022, 10:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 776,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
I worked in an Emergency Room the night shift, and after I retired, I began to see problems with my ability to sleep.

Can someone please recommend good-over-the counter ones. I have used Somnapure and Midnight, neither one has helped me.....

Thank you so very much.....
Do you sleep at the same time and wake up at same time everyday? You need melatonin.

Old 09-18-2022, 12:05 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Some people take Gr*vol. Years ago I used N*Quil (the packets to mix as a hot drink other than the syrup).

Visit a health store and see what different remedies they have.https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/herbs-for-sleep

There are non-narcotic prescriptions you may need to investigate but I think you could develop a dependence if used for a long time. Steer away from Zopaclone or Ativan. Evidence shows these can induce sleepwalking including wandering and operating vehicles while in a funk, not remembering it next day.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:49 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Most otc sleep aids rely on dyphenhydramine as the active ingredient. It works, but tends to give some a groggy feeling the next morning.

The one that is different is Unisom, which has doxcylamine as the active ingredient. This works well, but, for me at least, does not have that groggy effect the next day.

There are combo otc sleep aids, most use dyphenhydramine. I also seem to build a resistance to dyphenhydramine, moreso than doxcylamine.

Then there is melatonin, which is a natural sleep aid. I have read that you shouldn’t take that for longer than, say, a week. You can also find blends which include melatonin. You should take tge smallest amount of melatonin that works for you at first.

You have to read the ingredients closely.

And then there’s cannibis.
thank you, for your help.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,822,579 times
I've been taking Kirkland (Costco) Brand sleeping pills nightly for 30 years. The active ingredient is Doxylamine Succinate 25mg which I believe is used by Unisom as well. I take two.

These have always worked for me while Benadryl-based (diphenhydramine) products don't. Melatonin gives me vivid nightmares.
Fortunately, I haven't become immune/resistant to them, which can happen.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:13 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
I have found chamomile tea very effective in helping me get to sleep. It's cheap, has minimal side effects, and has a pleasant taste. Why not try it?

Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future

"Traditionally, chamomile preparations such as tea and essential oil aromatherapy have been used to treat insomnia and to induce sedation (calming effects). Chamomile is widely regarded as a mild tranquillizer and sleep-inducer. Sedative effects may be due to the flavonoid, apigenin that binds to benzodiazepine receptors in the brain. Studies in preclinical models have shown anticonvulsant and CNS depressant effects respectively. Clinical trials are notable for their absence, although ten cardiac patients are reported to have immediately fallen into a deep sleep lasting for 90 minutes after drinking chamomile tea. Chamomile extracts exhibit benzodiazepine-like hypnotic activity. In another study, inhalation of the vapor of chamomile oil reduced a stress-induced increase in plasma adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) levels. Diazepam, co-administered with the chamomile oil vapor, further reduced ACTH levels, while flumazenile, a BDZ antagonist blocked the effect of chamomile oil vapor on ACTH. According to Paladini et al., the separation index (ratio between the maximal anxiolytic dose and the minimal sedative dose) for diazepam is 3 while for apigenin it is 10. Compounds, other than apigenin, present in extracts of chamomile can also bind BDZ and GABA receptors in the brain and might be responsible for some sedative effect; however, many of these compounds are as yet unidentified."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

Old 09-18-2022, 11:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Maybe try working with your doctor on this? A prescription may be better for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness