Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 05:34 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,241,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
As you age your sleep habits change
Older people are known to require less sleep than a younger person
You could just live with the fact that you need less sleep
See if you can stay up later so you wake later

I myself sometimes take Benadryl to help me sleep
My dr suggested I take a Tylenol cold which has benedryl and mild pain relievers as sleep aid
If i could force myself to stay up to a 11 maybe that would help. TV is so boring and my body shuts down around 9pm to the point i can't stay awake blake. Maybe i only need 5 hours. I went thru hell with my sister that lived with me and her bad health. Last 10 years was bad and the last 6 months she was alive about killed me. During that time i could not even go to sleep.

But when i stopped smoking my sleeping really changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 07:17 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
I have had insomnia for 7 years since I started hormone blockers after breast cancer. My doctor gave me Lunesta (generic) to try and it's not bad. I slept pretty well with the lowest dose. Still woke up a couple of times but before I was having vivid dreams all night and waking up feeling like I hadn't slept a wink. The first three nights on Lunesta, I didn't dream much so I feel much more rested. It's not perfect. Still feel a little drugged in the morning. And you get an icky taste in your mouth but that's improving a lot on Day 3. Tonight, I am not taking it. It's an experiment to see if your clock resets itself. I doubt it will for me but I think you can take it long term. Check with your doctor.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:38 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
As you age your sleep habits change
Older people are known to require less sleep than a younger person
You could just live with the fact that you need less sleep
See if you can stay up later so you wake later

I myself sometimes take Benadryl to help me sleep
My dr suggested I take a Tylenol cold which has benedryl and mild pain relievers as sleep aid
I was going to say this

When I was young - I could sleep all day

Now - Maybe three hours at a time - gotta get up and go to the bathroom -

Trazadone - whenever I see that, I just remember that is what the vet gave my pup. I guess meds can be for human or canine.

OP - try Nyquil or Baby Benadryl.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Some people need serotonin. For them Trazadone works to help them sleep. For me, it makes me a little bit dizzy and then I'm awake the rest of the night.

Other people need gaba. They need something like Clonopin. That's what my dr gives me and I sleep great with it. My insomnia was caused by another pill they gave me and there is no way I can sleep without a pill now. I hate it. Please don't take up smoking again unless maybe to try some of these cannibis strains people talk about. See if they'll give you Clonopin. It's like Xanax--and I don't care what anyone says. They give us pills that cause side effects such as lifelong insomnia, then they'd better give us something to fix what they did. Nothing else works for me, not the teas, the melatonin, or any supplement that's supposed to help you sleep. My dr finally agreed with me and she said I am not an addict any more than anyone else who takes a pill for something. It's the only medication I take and for my age, that's pretty amazing. (I do take Flonase for a few months during allergy season.) I only have one other suggestion and that's to take the amino acid L-Glutamine. It is said to increase gaba. Clonopin helps with gaba but only temporarily. L-Glutamine may increase the levels permanently. Apparentely the experts are finally looking into amino acids as cures--you could google it.
It's very true everyone's brain chemistry is different. Trazadone does nothing for me either, but my wife sleeps like a log with it.

Benzos like Klonopin can build up a tolerance, but it sounds like it's not an issue for you. Trouble is finding a doctor willing to write the script, they are all so gun-shy these days about any "controlled" substances.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:16 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have had insomnia for 7 years since I started hormone blockers after breast cancer. My doctor gave me Lunesta (generic) to try and it's not bad. I slept pretty well with the lowest dose. Still woke up a couple of times but before I was having vivid dreams all night and waking up feeling like I hadn't slept a wink. The first three nights on Lunesta, I didn't dream much so I feel much more rested. It's not perfect. Still feel a little drugged in the morning. And you get an icky taste in your mouth but that's improving a lot on Day 3. Tonight, I am not taking it. It's an experiment to see if your clock resets itself. I doubt it will for me but I think you can take it long term. Check with your doctor.
The problem with Lunesta and Ambien is that over a few weeks you generally start building a tolerance and must increase the dosage to get the same effect.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:27 AM

377 posts, read 274,487 times
It doesn't work well for most people. Seems like Benadryl is the best sleep med out there.

Old 09-20-2022, 01:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
It doesn't work well for most people. Seems like Benadryl is the best sleep med out there.
I thought I heard there was a connection between Benadryl and Alzheimer's. Be careful.

Old 09-20-2022, 02:48 PM

21,925 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I thought I heard there was a connection between Benadryl and Alzheimer's. Be careful.
Same for Xanax. My doctor told me there's a link between long term use and dementia.

Old 09-20-2022, 06:36 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I'm pleading with you to only use sleeping meds (including "off label") for a short term fix! Do not go down the road of dependence on medications to sleep.

I am currently on that journey. My sleep cycles were severely altered by the birth of my first child. It all started with benadryl...first on occasion, then regularly. Didn't take long for my body to become completely dependent on substances to do a job that it capably did on its own. Until it didn't. When that drug failed, then it was on to the next, and on to the next in order to sleep. Now it's gabapentin, and it's the absolutely worst. The brain fog side effect is no joke and has interfered with my job. I am trying to kick the medication habit for good and detox at the same time.

Check out cognitive therapy for insomnia and try it. I waited too long (15 years) and now getting off the meds is harder and will probably be more expensive.

PS Trazodone never worked.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:50 AM

30,430 posts, read 21,241,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I'm pleading with you to only use sleeping meds (including "off label") for a short term fix! Do not go down the road of dependence on medications to sleep.

I am currently on that journey. My sleep cycles were severely altered by the birth of my first child. It all started with benadryl...first on occasion, then regularly. Didn't take long for my body to become completely dependent on substances to do a job that it capably did on its own. Until it didn't. When that drug failed, then it was on to the next, and on to the next in order to sleep. Now it's gabapentin, and it's the absolutely worst. The brain fog side effect is no joke and has interfered with my job. I am trying to kick the medication habit for good and detox at the same time.

Check out cognitive therapy for insomnia and try it. I waited too long (15 years) and now getting off the meds is harder and will probably be more expensive.

PS Trazodone never worked.
I DON'T NOTICE ANY change since i started taking it 5 days ago bro. Always wake up around 2 no matter what time i go to bed fred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness