Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 08:57 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,247,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
WHAT IS your opinion of Fosamax and Bovina?
I take the generic for fosomax (alendronate). It doesn't affect my vitamin D levels at all.

Boniva (not Bovina, which is not a drug, it's a place) also doesn't affect vitamin D levels at all.

The OP is asking about low vitamin D levels, because the OP is low on vitamin D levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 09:20 AM

3,499 posts, read 1,704,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Dangerously false info. Readers Beware!

Rickets is the bone disease caused by low Vit D in developing bones, ie- in kids.
Osteomalacia is the disease caused by low Vit D in adults.

Old bone is constantly being absorbed and new bone being laid down throughout our lives. As we age, the rate of new bone replacement slows more than the absorption part, so our bones get weaker. Problems with PTH/Calcitonin/Ca & P levels/Vit D affect the relative balance between the two parts of the process.
I don't understand why my advice is dangerous, you posted about osteoporosis yourself to answer the OP's question, and I said maybe Ezorb would help and to ask his doctor. Anyway, to those of you who don't lack vitamin D and take calcium supplements, Ezorb calcium might be a good choice, it doesn't affect the kidneys or the heart like other forms of calcium. I found out about it on the osteoporosis web-sites and I attended an osteoporosis seminar in a state sanctioned osteoporosis medical center and was told by the medical team this type of calcium is safe to take. I've been taking it for years, and I'm pushing 70 years old with no bone issues so far.
Additionally, I learned never to take a calcium supplement which includes magnesium because they go through the same channels in your system and could cancel each other out.

I will never again comment on medical issues I don't have a full understanding of, or maybe not respond at all to questions about medical conditions, it's too complicated. I was trying to help but I should have known better, thanks for the response.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:30 AM

3,280 posts, read 2,247,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post

I will never again comment on medical issues I don't have a full understanding of, or maybe not respond at all to questions about medical conditions, it's too complicated. I was trying to help but I should have known better, thanks for the response.
Or, you could respond to the question that's actually being asked and not allow other peoples' comments about related - topics that aren't the ACTUAL topic, to send you into a derail about something the OP isn't asking about.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Or, you could respond to the question that's actually being asked and not allow other peoples' comments about related - topics that aren't the ACTUAL topic, to send you into a derail about something the OP isn't asking about.
Good point! When I read the OP's comment about weak bones my mind went to osteoporosis and the need for vitamin D participation with certain calcium supplements. I'm guilty of going off the OP's topic many times, thanks for the reminder, I'll try not to do it again. I've always been accused of trying to be "over-helpful to a fault", so I go overboard with these posts sometimes.

Anyway, I asked the moderator to delete my dangerous post, I would never want somebody to be harmed from what I wrote, ever.

Thanks for your response.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:22 PM

427 posts, read 403,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2021 View Post
Every time I take vitamin D supplements it makes another chronic condition even worse...
I have Crohn's, Psoriasis, Arthritis, and Hypothyroidism.
I have to watch for -itols, soy products, fillers, etc in Vitamins.
I'm on D pills from my doc - they do seem better than otc vitamins.
For B vitamins I have to get methylated to feel any effect.
Iron I need the gentle formula or my stomach is in knots.

Point being: maybe it's not the vitamin D, it's the other stuff in the Vitamin.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:41 PM

7,120 posts, read 4,956,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I don't understand why my advice is dangerous,......Ezorb calcium might be a good choice, it doesn't affect the kidneys or the heart like other forms of calcium. ...... told by the medical team this type of calcium is safe to take......
People with certain problems of metabolism (parathyroid problems, kidney problems and such) need to avoid taking exrra Ca....There is no "safe" form for them.....Intuitively--- once it's in your body, how do your organs "know" where it came from?

We've had many threads here on the various forms of supplements of many kinds.....Some forms of, say, Ca are absorbed better than others in terms of percentage of the dose that actually makes it into your system...

The doses recommended on the labels take that into account so you wind up getting the right amount, regardless of the form in the pill. Eg- If 10 mg of supplement X is needed each day, and Form A is 50% absorbed, then the pill of From A will be a 20mg-er...And Form B may be 25% absorbable, so Form B will be a 40 mg pill. Either way, you absorb the 10mg you need.

The OP has CRF bad enough to be under the care of a nephrologist. He may well have secondary hyperparathyroidism + inadequate Vit D synthesis. He shouldn't be listening to advice from naive & misinformed internet contributors.
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/...parathyroidism

Old 09-19-2022, 05:11 PM

453 posts, read 294,195 times
Quote:
Every time I take vitamin D supplements it makes another chronic condition even worse which ends up causing me to lose time from work. I thought it was just a coincidence at first. But years later the same thing happens
Stop diagnosing yourself and see a PROFESSIONAL DOCTOR. And stop believing what a bunch of random fake doctors on the internet say.

Some people say yes some say no on the benefits of Vit D and bones.

GOOGLE IT.

And go get a bone density scan.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:13 PM

4,160 posts, read 2,523,355 times
Quote:
People with certain problems of metabolism (parathyroid problems, kidney problems and such) need to avoid taking exrra Ca....There is no "safe" form for them.....Intuitively--- once it's in your body, how do your organs "know" where it came from?

We've had many threads here on the various forms of supplements of many kinds.....Some forms of, say, Ca are absorbed better than others in terms of percentage of the dose that actually makes it into your system...

The doses recommended on the labels take that into account so you wind up getting the right amount, regardless of the form in the pill. Eg- If 10 mg of supplement X is needed each day, and Form A is 50% absorbed, then the pill of From A will be a 20mg-er...And Form B may be 25% absorbable, so Form B will be a 40 mg pill. Either way, you absorb the 10mg you need.

The OP has CRF bad enough to be under the care of a nephrologist. He may well have secondary hyperparathyroidism + inadequate Vit D synthesis. He shouldn't be listening to advice from naive & misinformed internet contributors.

My my, that was certainly rude, and self-aggrandizing by being insulting all because of a simple link to a product. The OP should know enough about all their various conditions, of which there are many, and be able to figure out which comments would help, or hinder since they have to weigh each comment on the internet anyway. Everyone should do their due diligence, and be their own health detective. No one doctor knows everything.

The person you were crabbing about did nothing wrong. Nothing that countless other posters have done when a product is recommended. If the OP can't use that link, then maybe someone else can benefit from it. The scrolling function would not be inhibited one bit by their conditions.

Btw, Vitamin D is extremely important for many, many issues in humans, not just calcium absorption. In fact since vitamin d influences the immune system most/many of those with covid had very low vitamin d levels. This is common knowledge, and easy to search out. In fact, I will include a link to the search results for this.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=covid+19+a...=v139-1&ia=web

"Most people know about the benefits of vitamin D for bone health. Vitamin D also has benefits for the immune system, cardiovascular health, autoimmune diseases such as diabetes, and multiple sclerosis, skin, and has been linked to lower incidence of many forms of cancer"

https://vitamindsociety.org/

---------------------

Old 09-20-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:

There must be something wrong with your reading comprehension. I never suggested Ezorb was safe for the OP, even my original post stated, "ask your doctor" but you conveniently left that part out when you quoted me.

I take Ezorb because the powdered form of calcium asparate doesn't affect the kidneys or clog your arteries, due to the fact
it's absorbed in your small intestine (unlike other forms of calcium). The calcium absorption rate wasn't the main factor in my decision to use Ezorb, it's because E-zorb doesn't have the possible negative side effects of other forms.

You call me naive and misinformed? Well I'm pushing 70, and have no medical problems besides muscolo-skeletal problems from injuries like car accidents, so I must be doing something right! I don't even have a primary doctor. Besides, I was my mom's caregiver for 10 years and she lived until 93 years old (she passed in Dec 2021 from a torn pelvic muscle while on warfarin, nothing I could do to save her). I can't even tell you how many times I stopped doctors from giving her dangerous drugs, or insisted on getting her a stress test when the docs didn't want to order one for her (the test saved her life). My mom probably would have passed a long time ago if I was so "naive and misinformed" as you stated. One of my mom's good doctors said she wished I wasn't retired because she desparately needs a knowledgeable assistant like me to work for her!

Last edited by wp169; 09-20-2022 at 09:28 AM..

Old 09-21-2022, 12:01 PM

18,481 posts, read 15,431,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin2021 View Post
I had low vitamin D for many years now. It's due to not getting enough sun but I can't due to eczema and other skin conditions. Every time I take vitamin D supplements it makes another chronic condition even worse which ends up causing me to lose time from work. I thought it was just a coincidence at first. But years later the same thing happens. It's the supplements. Can low vitamin D cause the bones to get so weak that injuries can occur easier and take long to recover? Can it cause the back to get injured? I heard a loud pop in back of my top back weeks ago. Ever since then I have back pain when using those muscles and left arm also hurts and feels weak when using it. I feel like I am easily getting injured now for no reason since I didn't do anything incorrect when it happened. That part of upper back still feels swollen.
Speak to your doctor about getting your bone density checked. You could have osteopenia without very specific symptoms. I have known it to happen in my family...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness