Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 11:57 AM

120 posts, read 130,825 times

Advertisements

I am new to Medicare and now find Drs. want you to come in almost monthly for crazy reasons. I always went every 6 months for BP meds only. Blood work is very good and I have no medical issues. Since Covid I feel like they have lost their minds. Has anyone used a teledoc service or just bought their meds online somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 03:42 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Not my experience and I've been on Medicare for several years. I have a couple of cardiac arrhythmia prescriptions so follow up with my cardiologist once a year. Meds are refilled upon request through the practice patient portal/local pharmacy. No office visit necessary. I see my PCP once a year for routine preventative care unless there's something specific going on. Usually there isn't.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecup View Post
I am new to Medicare and now find Drs. want you to come in almost monthly for crazy reasons. I always went every 6 months for BP meds only. Blood work is very good and I have no medical issues. Since Covid I feel like they have lost their minds. Has anyone used a teledoc service or just bought their meds online somehow?
Most doctors are extremely busy these days. Maybe yours is an exception? What do you think of as a crazy reason?

I've been buying my meds from Costco Online for years. Very happy.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:07 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I am tired of trying to find a Dr. like you describe. A lot of Drs. and dentists have retired and now I am finding them to be corporate owned and its no longer about the patient. Makes no sense why a Dr. would hold back on a patients blood pressure meds. Chronic meds should always be available.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Most doctors are extremely busy these days. Maybe yours is an exception? What do you think of as a crazy reason?

I've been buying my meds from Costco Online for years. Very happy.
Crazy reasons like redoing bloodwork every month for numbers that are a digit or two high. I have never experienced this especially since he didn't even want to see any of my other test results.....thats crazy! He is only open 20 hours a week and this is the second Dr. who insists on many visits as a condition on refilling. Don't you need a prescription for Costco?

Old 09-19-2022, 04:23 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Crazy reasons like redoing bloodwork every month for numbers that are a digit or two high. I have never experienced this especially since he didn't even want to see any of my other test results.....thats crazy! He is only open 20 hours a week and this is the second Dr. who insists on many visits as a condition on refilling.
If this is the 2nd doctor wanting monthly bloodwork, then it is something about your condition that is bothering them or it is a requirement for being on the drug. It would not be any different if you were not on Medicare.

I have been directed to get monthly bloodwork when I've changed medication. Never had to do it more than twice.

Quote:
Don't you need a prescription for Costco?
Yes. But then you need a prescription for just about anyplace, including Canada, Mexico, and India. Trust me, you DO NOT want to buy from an online pharmacy that does not require a prescription.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:29 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Makes no sense why a Dr. would hold back on a patients blood pressure meds. Chronic meds should always be available.
The trend in conditions such as high BP can easily change over time. Sounds as if yours may be unstable enough to warrant more frequent checks. You certainly don't want to self-diagnose or treat using some fly-by-night drug peddler.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:13 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Got my meds on line from Humana. Fast, cheap en you speak with an actual person in the US.....

Old 09-19-2022, 11:07 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Got my meds on line from Humana. Fast, cheap en you speak with an actual person in the US.....
My mom was directed to Humana for meds as part of her part D plan (it was a Medicare advisor who determined that Humana online would be her best option, costwise). And it was much less expensive than the local pharmacy she had been using and very dependable, with good customer service.

The only downside for my mom was that Humana does not prepare med packs (pre-sorted day-by-day meds in individual packets). For most people, it is a matter of creating their own “med packs” but my mom got to the point were she was taking multiple meds multiple times a day and keeping it all straight was a task. Humana’s model to keep prices low do not include the option for med packs, so she had to move on to a pharmacy that would. But when she could use Humana, it was very good for her on many levels - no complaints at all (if they added med packs as an option, she would go back to them, no question).

Old 09-19-2022, 11:16 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:

Sounds like you need to find a new doctor. I assume your old one retired since you said a lot of them left practices.

I go to a university medical group, they have a GP plus all sorts of other doctors, so my records go to each doctor. It's so much easier.

I'm in South Jersey, all of our hospitals seems to have doctors associated with each. Maybe that's an option for you if there is no university medical center near you.

I would expect you to have to go regularly until they know you're stable on BP meds while you're a new patient. I don't think it has anything to do with medicare.

Maybe you'd have better luck with a cardiologist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness