Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2022, 03:33 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I don't know of anyone that is getting censored for asking questions. I know a few people who have gotten into trouble are the ones inventing facts and not asking honest questions. The practice of medicine is regulated by law so individuals who haven't gone to medical school and are not licensed have no right to practice medicine. Even a few who are licensed are being scrutinized for their practices.
sometimes it seems that the medical profession feels that the patient, who hasn't gone to medical school, but lives 24/7 in their own body, doesnt know anything about medicine and how it might affect them. So in a way it could be said that the patient is practicing medicine without a license which annoys the drs and govt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2022, 03:51 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I am very hands-on and proactive when it comes to my health. I have absolutely no idea how my body would react to covid. It doesn't matter how well I know my body or not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-21-2022, 04:03 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That is not what we heard.

From what we saw it was the preferred treatment.

There were stories floated by unscrupulous individuals/groups that started from a poor understanding of a single in vitro experiment that showed that ivermectin would kill Covid in a petri dish in a dose 400x the safe human dose and another alleged 'study' that turned out to be completely falsified.

There were some places that were convinced to try it out of desperation. It didn't work. It didn't work at all. Nearly three years of contrary evidence later, and this nonsense is still being floated?

I think it's time for me to take another vacation from this funny farm again. It seems like I get slapped every time I come back.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:29 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
sometimes it seems that the medical profession feels that the patient, who hasn't gone to medical school, but lives 24/7 in their own body, doesnt know anything about medicine and how it might affect them. So in a way it could be said that the patient is practicing medicine without a license which annoys the drs and govt.
I don't know any unconscious patients in the ICU having an active part in their care. If one is talking about living at home and deciding what food to eat or if one should take an aspirin or not then no one out there is saying they are practicing medicine. When a person gets on TV or YouTube and starts telling others what to take or not take and comes up with invented facts then I can clearly see where people might see that as crossing the line. Individual rights end five inches from nose and after that societal rights take hold.

We already went through the Invermectin thing and patient hosptial demands and the rights of hospitals, doctors and the legal requirements of practicing medicine. We don't need to go over that again.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:34 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I don't know any unconscious patients in the ICU having an active part in their care. If one is talking about living at home and deciding what food to eat or if one should take an aspirin or not then no one out there is saying they are practicing medicine. When a person gets on TV or YouTube and starts telling others what to take or not take and comes up with invented facts then I can clearly see where people might see that as crossing the line. Individual rights end five inches from nose and after that societal rights take hold.

We already went through the Invermectin thing and patient hosptial demands and the rights of hospitals, doctors and the legal requirements of practicing medicine. We don't need to go over that again.
the title of this thread is about poorer countries. many countries/cultures still use native practices that go back hundreds of years. They werent trained in medical schools and licensed by the state. Their knowledge comes from tradition. Just because those practitioners of their craft didn't attend medical school, doesn't make their knowledge and experience worthless. Many westerners use accupuncture. for many it works very very well. Ive known people who have gone to Chinese herbalists. Helped when tradition medicine couldnt. i wouldnt poo poo those who practice "medicine" and didnt go to medical school. Theres a whole world out there. Where did some of our drugs come from? Plant sources orginally? Theres alot that we ,esp in the west, dont know.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:33 PM

578 posts, read 303,859 times
Covid is more likely to kill a country than its entire population get some popcorn, a big bag, watch the economic crash that is its finale.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:33 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
the title of this thread is about poorer countries. many countries/cultures still use native practices that go back hundreds of years. They werent trained in medical schools and licensed by the state. Their knowledge comes from tradition. Just because those practitioners of their craft didn't attend medical school, doesn't make their knowledge and experience worthless. Many westerners use accupuncture. for many it works very very well. Ive known people who have gone to Chinese herbalists. Helped when tradition medicine couldnt. i wouldnt poo poo those who practice "medicine" and didnt go to medical school. Theres a whole world out there. Where did some of our drugs come from? Plant sources orginally? Theres alot that we ,esp in the west, dont know.
I agree with your historical perspective on the basis of experience-based medicine. The problem with experience-based medicine and even evidence-based medicine is that when confronted with a new virus that we know nothing about then experience-based medicine has nothing to fall back on. We had no experience with CIVID before. COVID has not existed before that we know of so using folklore medicine doesn't work. Native Americans died because the medicine man was confronted with viruses that they had no clue about. They died.
Significant parts of the population died in epidemics. Their folk medicine was not cloaked in pseudoscience trying to convince the masses. It was practiced in a cultural context. Folklore is filled with superstitions. Full of metaphysical beliefs. It is full of placebo and that is what most of the experience-based medicine is comprised of.

So I would be interested in seeing how poor countries treat a new viral disease that would give them a better survival rate than other countries with regard to COVID. I am not prejudging. I simply want to see the facts. I would like to see that in contrast or within the context of poor countries having reduced lifespans. Something is killing them. Are they not going to traditional healers that are experienced-based?

The traditional explanation is that poor countries lack modern medical interventions that can save lives. They are socioeconomically deprived. That same explanation has been applied to ethnic minority groups with regard to access of healthcare.

Bring on the studies.

Old 09-21-2022, 07:57 PM

7,018 posts, read 11,310,963 times
COVID deaths are highly skewed towards older, obese, diabetic, and another "1st world" medical conditions. Yes, young people did/do die from the virus. Yes, healthy people did/do die from the virus. But this disease was a killer of the demographic groups that make up a much higher percent of the population in developed nations.

The other points are valid too, many deaths in developing nations are just.....deaths. You got sick from something and died. There isn't a highly developed medical reporting system tracking all deaths and coding them with specific causes.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Right- waaay too much over-thinking on an issue that was beat to death daily two years ago.

Countries with "older" populations suffered worse - this is, mainly, USA and Western Europe. Certain Asian nations have an older population - but they overcame the COVID with strict isolation.

Many nations in Africa, for instance, were unlikely to see many deaths from a disease that MAINLY killed "old" people.

It's simply math. Why aren't they older? Same question, same answer: They're poor. (not my words, exactly)

Old 09-22-2022, 08:54 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
After hearing President Biden has confirmed Covid isnt the danger it was . I began to wonder about third world countries without health care etc..why werent they wiped out when we in the UK and other countries losing so many to this virus... Isnt this strange..
The death rate is very low. And poorer countries tend to have a younger population which has even a lower death rate from covid.

How can a country be wiped out from a virus with way less than 1% fatality rate? 99% will survive even if everyone gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness