Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 11:12 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again. It doesn't take three days to get into ketosis. Maybe do some reading up on it.
I did read up on it. What I read said 2 - 4 days. To have a benefit.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:17 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,190,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I just meant a fast. No calories, just drinking coffee and tea, etc.

And you supposedly get into ketosis after 3 days.
Ketosis was very helpful to lose a substantial amount of weight for someone I know.
They followed Atkin’s

If the Atkin’s done correctly - you have to achieve the ketosis first - a lot of people are doing it for weight reduction.
The diet got twisted, that it is “low carb” - it doesn’t have to be.

One suppose to determine how many carbs their body tolerates without you gaining weight.
The diet consist of 4 stages - with the induction stage - 2 weeks - is the most restrictive of carbs - only 20 g of net crabs allowed - fiber doesn’t count.

Some people need longer than 3 days to go into ketosis - hence the Atkin’s requires a minimum 2 weeks on extremely limited carbs.
Some are so resistant that they may need 3-4 weeks to get into ketosis.

As you don’t have any calories/ carbs - coffee have a little amount of carbs - then 3-4 days should put you in ketosis - which you could confirm with ketostrips - testing your urine - buy in pharmacy

If done right - this is the only diet where you don’t feel hungry at all while losing weight.

To summarize: there is no hunger while in ketosis.
The side effects: a specific breath odor - not too bad and could be remedied with mint.

Not sure if staying on keto for life is beneficial or even necessary.

In your case - once you start adding food slowly - I would start with very light and easy digested meals after your fast may help you determine if you have some food sensitivity - that is your goal, right?

That and to try re-set the immune system - not sure if it works.

However, The moment you start your regular meal regimen on the 4th day -you will be out of ketosis - so technically - you are not in ketosis for long at all - 3 days of fasting clears sugars from you system - if you reach ketosis - meaning the body use ketones for energy instead of sugars or alcohol - but then you immediately out of ketosis on your 4th day.. not sure if there is a point.

The Atkin’s will help you determine how many carbs you tolerate: athletes or people doing physical labor may need 200-300 g of carbs per day for energy, but someone older and sedentary may start gaining weight from 40 g of carbs per day.

There are some diseases which could go into remission on keto - then it could be a necessity.

The keto diet shouldn’t harm you - but it is difficult to do. True keto is when most of your calories come from fats.
Fiber is essential to have. For bulk.

If you consume a lot of protein thinking that you are doing keto - it gets break down by body into sugars - the same as eating carbs - hence you may experience hunger while dieting.

Keto flu - is 2-3 days discomfort during transition from your body switching to using ketones for energy instead of sugar - doubt you experience this as you are not in ketosis for long with the way you intend to do it

Last edited by L00k4ward; 10-05-2022 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-05-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Ketosis was very helpful to lose a substantial amount of weight for someone I know.
They followed Atkin’s

If the Atkin’s done correctly - you have to achieve the ketosis first - a lot of people are doing it for weight reduction.
The diet got twisted, that it is “low carb” - it doesn’t have to be.

One suppose to determine how many carbs their body tolerates without you gaining weight.
The diet consist of 4 stages - with the induction stage - 2 weeks - is the most restrictive of carbs - only 20 g of net crabs allowed - fiber doesn’t count.

If done right - this is the only diet where you don’t feel hungry at all while losing weight.

To summarize: there is no hunger while in ketosis.
The side effects: a specific breath odor - not too bad and could be remedied with mint.

Not sure if staying on keto for life is beneficial or even necessary.

The Atkin’s will help you determine how many carbs you tolerate: athletes or people doing physical labor may need 200-300 g of carbs per day for energy, but someone older and sedentary may start gaining weight from 40 g of carbs per day.
I was not trying to lose weight, just trying to get rid of the autoimmune intestinal problem. But I had heard of the Atkins diet years ago, and it made sense to me. I never did it, because I didn't need to lose weight. However, I have been careful about carbs, especially refined. I actually knew since I read some book about white sugar when I was very young. Amazing how so many Americans don't know about this. Start the day with a sugary donut and the whole day will be highs and lows, and eventually you get diabetes.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:15 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
You are claiming that you have IBS. If you have IBS, you need to do these things, according to the Mayo Clinic:

1) Experiment with fiber. Fiber helps reduce constipation but also can worsen gas and cramping. ...
2) Avoid problem foods. Eliminate foods that trigger your symptoms.
3) Eat at regular times. Don't skip meals, and try to eat at about the same time each day to help regulate bowel function. ...
4) Exercise regularly.

That's how you treat IBS. Going on a "keto fast" is contrary to item #3.

Here's according to the National Institutes of Health: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...bowel-syndrome

Meanwhile, IBS is NOT an "autoimmune intestinal problem." It is a functional bowel disorder and not related to your immune system being out of whack.

So again - it's possible that you don't have IBS at all. It's possible you have something else. If you really DO have IBS, then it wouldn't be caused by a vaccine (since IBS is not related to your immune system), and fasting will make it worse (which you have already discovered, which you explained in post #21:
Quote:
I did 72 hours, ending last night, because I had severe intestinal distress
So it's possible you have IBS, unrelated to any vaccine.
It's also possible you have an ulcer.
It's also possible you have something related to the vaccine, that is not IBS.

It's possible your choice of treatment is the equivalent throwing fistsful of garbage at the wall and hoping that you notice when something sticks.

Old 10-05-2022, 03:41 PM

310 posts, read 323,287 times
Quote:
I had some very bad side effects from covid vaccines, from 8 months ago. Especially intestinal. Someone at a different CD forum suggested doing a keto fast. So I thought why not. I already have been doing intermittent fasting for many years and I love it.

So I thought I would gather together all my willpower, and I started last night before 9pm. So far it's just like my normal intermittent fasting. Starting to get a little hungry and thinking wouldn't it be nice to get some halal. But I am not anywhere near looking at bugs on the sidewalk and thinking maybe they would taste good.

Has anyone here done a keto fast? Did it help with intestinal autoimmune disorders? How many hours did you go for?
How do you know your issues are directly related the the vaccine?
Have you been checked out by a gastroenterologist or are you just spitballing with your diagnosis?

Old 10-05-2022, 03:44 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
If you regularly fast (intermittent fasting), your glycogen levels are already low. You will go into ketosis after some number of hours. So let's say it's 7 hours, and you fast for 10. You'll spend 3 hours in ketosis. You'll reap the benefits of ketosis for that three hour period. I suppose you could do keto for your eating window, and stay in ketosis, if you wanted to. Maybe that would be a keto fast?

Old 10-05-2022, 05:24 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,236,257 times
Quote:
It's called a keto fast because it continues long enough to go into ketosis. There is also a keto diet, which means no carbs.

I did 72 hours, ending last night, because I had severe intestinal distress, and wanted to hopefully fix that. Next time maybe I won't go as long.

I normally do intermittent fasting -- starting in the evening and going to the next afternoon. So I guess that's about 16 hours.

Intermittent fasting makes me feel good, especially if I drink black coffee. This keto fast didn't bother me so much. I feel pretty good so far. I have eaten once so far, last night.

I have the same problem. But, after years and years of extended water fasting this year my digestion did not recover so well after a 21 day water fast (and I think I had Omicron around this time too).. But, I just fasted 5 days and had some relief. So, it is very hard to tell. I try to fast longer because your body does use more protein the first 14 days. So, repeated short fasts are not the best. Intermittent fasting is fine and OMAD is fine (but, too many 3 day fasts I don't think you get too much benefit and it's better to go at least 5-7 to get the best results). This is from my reading and practice (but, I've also never been able to get beyond 23 days either)...

I'd say, it's counterintuitive, but, get some probiotics. There are simple things we need to do; but, it gets boring and we also forget. Or, you find yourself off the wagon for three days and then you already need a reset.

One of the best things I did was go strict Keto for six months. Boy did that put me through the paces back in 2017; but, I have felt much better since I did that overall and I keep building on that improvement. But, I cycle off and do healthy carbs to make my body shift in and out so that in case I am ever stuck with nothing but carbs. I want to do a lot of extended fasting in the next year with my ultimate goal to be able to handle being plant based again (not sure I will get back to that in my old age -- but, I'll give it a whirl).

My experience with doctors and getting diagnosed was only good when it came to big issues. Everyday issues may fit into the box of something you've already been diagnosed with (such as asthma and severe allergies). I did go through a period when I got a bunch of stuff diagnosed; but, it was not fun at all. It helps when there is something there that can be identified.

I only recently realized that digestion issues may be related to having had Covid a couple of times. I already had one doctor agree with me that some heart troubles I was having maybe have been caused by the vaccine. Yeah, we all did not fare super well over the last three years. But, it was a pandemic and we did survive it. I'm not sure what we expect.

Old 10-05-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You are claiming that you have IBS. If you have IBS, you need to do these things, according to the Mayo Clinic:

1) Experiment with fiber. Fiber helps reduce constipation but also can worsen gas and cramping. ...
2) Avoid problem foods. Eliminate foods that trigger your symptoms.
3) Eat at regular times. Don't skip meals, and try to eat at about the same time each day to help regulate bowel function. ...
4) Exercise regularly.
The Mayo Clinic knows nothing about intermittent fasting. I have been doing it most of my life, I KNOW it is good for me, and LOTS of people like it. There is NO WAY I would stop doing it because the Mayo Clinic says don't skip meals. They are ignorant about many things, especially any kind of natural or holistic health. Fasting is GOOD.

And WHY would I experiment with fiber to reduce constipation if that is the OPPOSITE of the problem?

And I EXERCISE every day, more than most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness