U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,057 times

Advertisements

Had an eye infection in my left eye in July and another eye infection in my right eye in August. This is likely due to having to wear masks at work, prior to wearing masks I never had an eye infection.

We take them off when we are at our desk and then put them back on when we are up and about. Likely one of the areas I was sitting at was probably dirty.. I used a hot compress (one eye at a time) and that got rid of the infection/swelling in both eyes.

However, several weeks later (now in October) when I shut my eyes and look upwards I feel like I have sand in my eyes. My PCP prescribed me Pataday thinking it may be related to allergies but I have been taking it for a week and there has been no change.

Any thoughts as to what this might be? I've never had this feeling/sensation before. I do not have teary eyes or any other eye issues, just the feeling of sand/grit when I look up with my eyes shut. When I look up with my eyes open, I barely feel anything at all, trying to determine what this would indicate.

Last edited by mrawfish11; 10-18-2022 at 02:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 02:34 PM

72 posts, read 25,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrawfish11 View Post
Had an eye infection in my left eye in July and another eye infection in my right eye in August. This is likely due to having to wear masks at work, prior to wearing masks I never had an eye infection.

We take them off when we are at our desk and then put them back on when we are up and about. Likely one of the areas I was sitting at was probably dirty.. I used a hot compress (one eye at a time) and that got rid of the infection/swelling in both eyes.

However, several weeks later (now in October) when I shut my eyes and look upwards I feel like I have sand in my eyes. My PCP prescribed me Pataday thinking it may be related to allergies but I have been taking it for a week and there has been no change.

Any thoughts as to what this might be? I've never had this feeling/sensation before. I do not have teary eyes or any other eye issues, just the feeling of sand/grit when I look up with my eyes shut. When I look up my eyes open, I barely feel anything at all, trying to determine what this would indicate.

I am going to be Miss Captain Obvious here. I dont think none of us here are doctors so please go to your doctor if you are really concerned. Having eye issue is not something that you dont want to wait.

It sound like you are suffering from dry eyes . Google state this " Do your eyes ever burn, itch, or feel like they have sand or grit in them? You could be suffering from dry eyes, an under-recognized eye condition"

Hope is nothing major and is something that can be easily fix.

Old 10-19-2022, 10:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,792 posts, read 71,319,905 times
My wife is suffering from dry eyes, and our ophthalmologist prescribed the use of "Refresh" drops 3-4 times a day, and every evening, using a warm compress that looks like an eye mask and gets heated in the microwave. Eyes are kind of important, so I would recommend getting seen by a doctor, though, rather than self-treating. Refresh is over the counter, and can't hurt, but you need to make sure there is nothing serious going on. Eye issues can be signs of other problems in the body, such as diabetes, and high cholesterol, and then there is the possibility of cataracts and Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Hopefully yours is just a minor condition easily treated.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:08 PM

21,926 posts, read 29,458,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My wife is suffering from dry eyes, and our ophthalmologist prescribed the use of "Refresh" drops 3-4 times a day, and every evening, using a warm compress that looks like an eye mask and gets heated in the microwave. Eyes are kind of important, so I would recommend getting seen by a doctor, though, rather than self-treating. Refresh is over the counter, and can't hurt, but you need to make sure there is nothing serious going on. Eye issues can be signs of other problems in the body, such as diabetes, and high cholesterol, and then there is the possibility of cataracts and Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Hopefully yours is just a minor condition easily treated.

I normally do not have eye issues but there have been times when I've gone to Walmart to grab a bottle of eye drops because I was having an issue where I felt like I kept getting pollen in my eyes. I wish I could remember which drops I did get. I don't recall it being an allergy one like the OP's GP prescribed.

The refresh drops shouldn't hurt, who knows they may help.

Sounds like it's time OP considers seeing an actual eye doctor that deals with eye infections and irritations which IIRC is an ophthalmologists not optometrist. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

GP's are not trained to deal with eye issues.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:06 PM

4,759 posts, read 2,968,316 times
Are you at the beach by any chance?

Old 10-21-2022, 02:00 AM

6,152 posts, read 3,327,558 times
The gritty feeling/sand-in-your-eyes feeling indicates conjunctivitis-- the "-itis" being non-specific--could be infection, foreign body, allergy, trauma or "dry eye."...Usually an infection has a rapid onset, is accompanied by mattering, even pus, and redness of the conjunctiva, and so irritating that you don't stay home and wonder about it for weeks.

Your case is unusual in the specifics of only getting the symptoms when looking up (suggest foreign body or trauma). You say you had an "infection"-- who diagnosed it? You or a doc? Was it treated with antibiotic drops?...Do you wear contacts?

You need to be examined by someone who knows eyes. Prescribing non-specific allergy drops for a pt without a history of allergies is questionable logic.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 PM

27,840 posts, read 30,648,153 times
In the meantime, until you see your eye doctor, don't touch your face or rub your eyes. If you use eye drops, always, always wash your hands first.

Old 10-23-2022, 01:45 PM

12,762 posts, read 6,921,398 times
I went thru this.
One girl at work insisted I needed emergency eye surgery because my eye ducts were clogged!
What I ended up doing was going to my eye doctor. He knew right away. Prescribed
An eye gel . After day three it was a moot issue.
Yup thera-gel, replens, are my go to.
When it's gritty sand like.. it's best to start simple and work with the eye doctor.
Stay clear of visine or clear eyes. My eye doctor said they perpetuate the symptoms and don't heal the real issue.

Oddly ( learned this last week when I had pink eye)- a smidge of warm milk and honey with an eye dropper did the trick!
Homeopathic neighbor taught me that one

Old 10-25-2022, 02:06 AM

6,152 posts, read 3,327,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Oddly ( learned this last week when I had pink eye)- a smidge of warm milk and honey with an eye dropper did the trick!
Homeopathic neighbor taught me that one
That was just symptomatic relief at best. The milk & honey just lubricated the conjunctival surfaces so they didn't feel gritty anymore...Viral conjunctivitis is self limiting in a day or two anyways....Your maneuver could have cost you dearly had it been a more serious cause and diagnosis & treatment was delayed.

That home remedy is also good for keeping elephants away. I used it last week and haven't seen any elephants around here. It must work.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:55 AM

21,926 posts, read 29,458,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That was just symptomatic relief at best. The milk & honey just lubricated the conjunctival surfaces so they didn't feel gritty anymore...Viral conjunctivitis is self limiting in a day or two anyways....Your maneuver could have cost you dearly had it been a more serious cause and diagnosis & treatment was delayed.

That home remedy is also good for keeping elephants away. I used it last week and haven't seen any elephants around here. It must work.

No way would I put milk and honey in my eye. I'd be afraid to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness