Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2022, 10:03 AM

6,089 posts, read 3,330,622 times

Advertisements

I was watching some videos on this theory, which they backed up with scientific studies.

But the consumption of vegetable oils (soybean, corn, canola, cottonseed, peanut, safflower, sunflower, grape seed, rice bran, etc.), particularly when they are heated up to cook or fry food, is allegedly incredibly dangerous to your health and longevity.

One video even stated that the only thing you could do worse to your body than consume vegetable oil is to smoke or drink alcohol.

They explained that our obesity epidemic started when we moved away from butter and lard in the mid 20th century and started using vegetable oil.

The problem is that so many foods sneakily contain vegetable oils, especially restaurants. The best way to completely cut these out of your diet is to prepare your own meals at home, using recipes so that you are 100% sure they don’t have these oils in there.

Anyway, does anybody out there know about this theory, and if you do, do you believe it wholeheartedly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 10:19 AM

310 posts, read 322,805 times
I think it is an extreme take on oils that does more harm than good. People should just stop eating fried foods at the rate they are. Fried foods are calorie laden gut bobs that are nutritionally deficient for the most part.

Those oils are not going to harm anyone if eaten in moderation. I use olive oil for almost everything except some higher heat sautéing. I like peanut oil for that. I do have a canola oil in my cupboard.

What you need to do is site the studies in your post. Find the links and post them. If the studies are not peer reviewed they are pretty much useless. They are handy however for selling books. Chances are there are some Doctors with books about this very thing and they really want to sell them to you.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:33 AM

1,147 posts, read 860,413 times
Weston A Price Foundation paleo diet stuff. Poor science behind it. Founded by a dentist looking at teeth etc. Way out there.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
It's the fried foods, not the oils themselves. Consider what is cooked in those oils: French fries and tots, donuts, hush puppies,
funnel cakes, processed chicken nuggets, potato and corn chips, corn dogs, churros.

Old 10-26-2022, 03:24 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
Anyway, does anybody out there know about this theory, and if you do, do you believe it wholeheartedly?
Wholeheartedly? Nope. If you are someone who chooses to eat a lot of food saturated in vegetable oil you're probably going to end up with more health problems than someone who doesn't. Eating healthy is a matter of balance and moderation, not all or nothing no matter what some pundit says. Lots of "authorities" know now to lie with statistics.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,390,232 times
What I believe wholeheartedly: watching videos about this or that food is better or worse than that or this other food, can cause more health problems than just - eating in moderation.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:54 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I believe this. My late husband fried everything he and we ate. He also smoked like a chimney and drank. By age 30 he was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease but probably had it while he was in elementary school when he was diagnosed with stomach ulcers. I don't know what his diet consisted of before we met, but the Crohn's diagnosis should have been an eye opener. Every night, he consumed fried food. At the age of 63, after a lifetime of pain, he was diagnosed with renal cancer, and dead within 3 weeks. If you beat your body up it will give up earlier than if you hadn't. I always objected to the frying of food, but his gastroenterologist wouldn't back me up and he used this against me for decades.

Old 10-26-2022, 09:17 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I was watching some videos on this theory, which they backed up with scientific ....
Links, please.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:33 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
From what I've read (sorry, no citations), it's the processing of some oils that's the problem. They are subjected to high heat, solvents, and bleaches.

Cold pressed olive, avocado, and coconut oils are supposedly okay, but canola and safflower oils are bad.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:44 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
From the Mayo Clinic

Quote:
Health concerns about canola oil are unfounded. Canola oil, which is extracted from the seeds of the canola plant, is generally recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration.

Misinformation about canola oil may stem from the fact that the canola plant was developed through crossbreeding with the rapeseed plant. Rapeseed oil contains very high levels of erucic acid, a compound that in large amounts can be toxic to humans. Canola oil, however, contains very low levels of erucic acid.

Canola oil is also low in saturated fat and has a high proportion of monounsaturated fat, which makes it a healthy and safe choice when it comes to cooking oils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness