U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 12:34 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,732,783 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that there's much in the media about avoiding red meat? High in saturated fat, I suppose. Not so good for our hearts and arteries.

Add in the salt, high fat from the fries and the cheese (if a cheeseburger) and the sauces, the sugar and additives from a soft drink, I think we have a popular meal that bears careful thought before ingesting.

Once or twice a month? Likely not so harmful. But so many eat way more than that. Then there are wings and other fun meals filled with saturated fat.

There are calories...and then there are calories.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 01:10 PM

1,825 posts, read 363,093 times
About fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNHvogMFDI

Old 11-10-2022, 01:44 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,732,783 times
Ah, the Big Fat Debate!

We need the healthy fats for sure! No debate there...

But those saturated unhealthy artery-clogging, heart attack fats such as in cheeseburgers and fries are killers:

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/...fects-arteries

Old 11-11-2022, 12:31 AM

20,108 posts, read 17,372,601 times
that's isn't a favorite meal for a lot of people.
i thought the thread would be about what is our favorite meal, and is it healthy
that to me would be more interesting

Old 11-11-2022, 02:49 AM

23,048 posts, read 29,785,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just idle curiosity...but my question is whether one of our national favorite meals--cheeseburger, French fries, soda--has the worst health/nutritional outcomes for our well-being?

I wonder how this meal compares with other nations' favorite meals??
I don't think it's everyone's "favorite meal" anymore. Perhaps for teenagers in the 1950s?

It has a terrible health profile - white, refined, processed roll, French Fries - deep fried anything is very bad for you. That's especially true of potatoes. You can google that. The meat used in a typical fast food restaurant is fatty and not of the best quality. Soda is pretty much toxic. Cheese? Again, mostly in Fast Food places you are talking about processed American cheese.

It's pretty much a nutritionist's nightmare.

So I would agree that yes, it has one of the worst nutritional outcomes. Since the advent of fast food, double cheeseburgers with bacon, and all of the other awful meals sold at fast food places, the profile or should I say shape, of the US has changed. The incidence of obesity in the US has skyrocketed.

I really wish fast food would go away.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:22 AM

13,037 posts, read 6,540,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
There's nothing inherently bad about burgers. Unlike fries and soda, at least it has a decent amount of protein and a light serving of veggies. And keep in mind, nobody is suggesting to eat burgers in isolation. I'm assuming you're also eating veggies, fruits and sources of protein throughout the day too.

Notice that in fast food places, over the years, the portion sizes of burgers remained the same or have gotten smaller. While french fries and soda portions have been supersized. This is telling.

I lost 100 lbs and I like to remind people that I go to Burger King more often now than when I was fat. I just order 1 burger but I skip the fries, soda and desserts.
I agree that there is nothing inherently bad about burgers. At home for burgers I cook a quarter pound of 96% lean beef on a George Foreman grill. I squeeze out any small amount of grease that might be left after cooking. I add at least as much lettuce, tomato and onions. So the burger is at least 50% or more veggies. The only possible negatives is that I add mayonnaise and teriyaki glaze, which is probably not great, but I think the quantity is small enough that it's not going to affect my health much.

For fast food I also go with Burger King. The good thing about a Whopper is that the beef is pretty minimum and it comes with a generous amount of veggies. The negative is, the beef is not lean. I would be surprised if they use even 70% lean beef. It's all fat. If you want to see how bad the problem is take a Whopper apart and microwave the beef. Which totally ruines it. You end up with a piece of shoe leather and a plate full of grease.

Which is really the problem with any fast food or even a good restaurant burger. Do they use lean beef and get rid of the grease? Probably not. As far as french fries and soda goes, that is just bad. I don't know how you could possibly make healthy french fries. They are nothing but salt and grease. Fortunately even when I was young and not as much into health, I was never big on french fries. I tended to order two burgers instead of a burger and fries. Which I think was a good choice, and often cheaper. For example a buy one get one free sale.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 3,531,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree that there is nothing inherently bad about burgers. At home for burgers I cook a quarter pound of 96% lean beef on a George Foreman grill. I squeeze out any small amount of grease that might be left after cooking. I add at least as much lettuce, tomato and onions. So the burger is at least 50% or more veggies. The only possible negatives is that I add mayonnaise and teriyaki glaze, which is probably not great, but I think the quantity is small enough that it's not going to affect my health much.

For fast food I also go with Burger King. The good thing about a Whopper is that the beef is pretty minimum and it comes with a generous amount of veggies. The negative is, the beef is not lean. I would be surprised if they use even 70% lean beef. It's all fat. If you want to see how bad the problem is take a Whopper apart and microwave the beef. Which totally ruines it. You end up with a piece of shoe leather and a plate full of grease.

Which is really the problem with any fast food or even a good restaurant burger. Do they use lean beef and get rid of the grease? Probably not. As far as french fries and soda goes, that is just bad. I don't know how you could possibly make healthy french fries. They are nothing but salt and grease. Fortunately even when I was young and not as much into health, I was never big on french fries. I tended to order two burgers instead of a burger and fries. Which I think was a good choice, and often cheaper. For example a buy one get one free sale.
I used to make oven baked fries with olive oil, but no more......carbs.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I used to make oven baked fries with olive oil, but no more......carbs.
Breakfast is probably my worst meal. I usually have two eggs, two linked sausages, and hash browns. I brown the frozen hash browns in olive oil on a griddle. I know the linked sausages are bad, but thy are better than bacon, and pretty small. I'm not sure how bad the hash browns in olive oil are. But the hash browns are only about 80 grams a meal, so I don't worry too much about it. Still I should probably find a better solution for breakfast.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 3,531,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Breakfast is probably my worst meal. I usually have two eggs, two linked sausages, and hash browns. I brown the frozen hash browns in olive oil on a griddle. I know the linked sausages are bad, but thy are better than bacon, and pretty small. I'm not sure how bad the hash browns in olive oil are. But the hash browns are only about 80 grams a meal, so I don't worry too much about it. Still I should probably find a better solution for breakfast.
Yup....I am now eating alot of oatmeal and avacado toast....frozen hashbrowns are wonderful, but so bad for you.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Yup....I am now eating alot of oatmeal and avacado toast....frozen hashbrowns are wonderful, but so bad for you.
What is so bad about hash browns? The hash browns themselfs or the olive oil? I have read that you should not use oil with hash browns, but I'm not sure how to brown them with no oil. The netrition value doesn't look bad. The carbs are 16 grams, 5%.

What is kind of scaring me is that I'm looking at the nutrition facts for my eggs. The cholesterol in one egg is 185mg 62%. Yikes the two eggs is 124%. I don't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness