U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2022, 11:23 AM
 
215 posts, read 217,269 times
Reputation: 775

Advertisements

I think fast food joint burgers and fries and much different from home made burgers and fries. I think fast food anything is just awful for anyone no matter what item it is on the menu. Fast food = junk food 99% of the time.

We will make burgers and fries at home - more often than not we make black bean burgers, but we do beef as well. The fires are made in the oven. Either sweet potato or russets. They need a bit of olive oil but that is it. This still may not be the healthiest meal, but it does not compare to the sodium laden, questionable meat, deep fried potatoes burger bought at a Fast Food place.

Moderation is the key. And fast food joints are the enemy no matter what you order.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-13-2022, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,590 posts, read 11,731,602 times
Reputation: 14268
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
I think fast food joint burgers and fries and much different from home made burgers and fries. I think fast food anything is just awful for anyone no matter what item it is on the menu. Fast food = junk food 99% of the time.

We will make burgers and fries at home - more often than not we make black bean burgers, but we do beef as well. The fires are made in the oven. Either sweet potato or russets. They need a bit of olive oil but that is it. This still may not be the healthiest meal, but it does not compare to the sodium laden, questionable meat, deep fried potatoes burger bought at a Fast Food place.

Moderation is the key. And fast food joints are the enemy no matter what you order.
I tend to agree. From what I've read about what's in fast food burgers, I'd not want them to enter my body. Scary ingredients. For one, I don't want antibiotics in my beef mix.

It's all about profits and not about good nutrition for those corporate chains.

And oven, home-roasted sweet or white potatoes are very different from deep-fried in cheap oil fast food fries--you're right!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2022, 04:59 PM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Wonderland
65,093 posts, read 54,481,324 times
Reputation: 96162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Not sure if that would even be a favorite meal to most.

I'll take a filet mignon, bleu cheese salad, roasted veggies and water to drink.
Bingo and a doggie bag as well. In fact, that's what I'm having in a bit! Left overs from last night!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 06:47 AM
 
Location: On the edge
6,978 posts, read 3,161,029 times
Reputation: 12626
Here's what a Wendy's "baconator" sandwich has:
Calories 950

Fat 62 grams total

Sodium 1650 grams

But, hey, you're also getting a whopping 2 grams of fiber.

And this doesn't include the fries or the soda.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 09:39 AM
 
15,722 posts, read 14,071,275 times
Reputation: 22484
If you make it at home they can be healthy or healthy-ish.

We use a lean ground beef and season it to our taste before cooking. Use a whole grain no sugar added bun or no bread at all for a small hamburger steak. We buy Or-Ida frozen fries and bake them in the oven. For my wife and I we can bake them in a toaster oven.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,590 posts, read 11,731,602 times
Reputation: 14268
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If you make it at home they can be healthy or healthy-ish.

We use a lean ground beef and season it to our taste before cooking. Use a whole grain no sugar added bun or no bread at all for a small hamburger steak. We buy Or-Ida frozen fries and bake them in the oven. For my wife and I we can bake them in a toaster oven.
We make our own less fat fries by cutting whole potatoes into slices, mixing with a bit of olive oil and some herbs and oven roasting @ 425 degrees until crispy on outside. About 15 minutes. Really good.

We leave the skin on for added nutrients...can use any kind of potatoes, including sweet potato.

After roasting you can sprinkle on some sea salt -- or not if you're avoiding sodium.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 11:58 AM
 
215 posts, read 217,269 times
Reputation: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We make our own less fat fries by cutting whole potatoes into slices, mixing with a bit of olive oil and some herbs and oven roasting @ 425 degrees until crispy on outside. About 15 minutes. Really good.

We leave the skin on for added nutrients...can use any kind of potatoes, including sweet potato.

After roasting you can sprinkle on some sea salt -- or not if you're avoiding sodium.
We make these all the time with both russets and sweet potatoes.
My husband calls them, 'artisanal, hand cut, seasonal fries'.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,590 posts, read 11,731,602 times
Reputation: 14268
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
We make these all the time with both russets and sweet potatoes.
My husband calls them, 'artisanal, hand cut, seasonal fries'.
Even with baby reds or Yukon Golds--all good! Love 'em...almost addictive!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Sheffield, England
4,845 posts, read 1,413,919 times
Reputation: 2185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just idle curiosity...but my question is whether one of our national favorite meals--cheeseburger, French fries, soda--has the worst health/nutritional outcomes for our well-being?

I wonder how this meal compares with other nations' favorite meals??
I don't think I'd even consider that a "meal".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
6,590 posts, read 11,731,602 times
Reputation: 14268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I don't think I'd even consider that a "meal".
I know what you mean..but for many Fast Food customers, I guess it is...lotsa calories and bad fats and excess sugars all rolled into a burger, bun, fries and fake shakes...it's filling and kinda lethal...the documentary Supersize Me is eye-opening--at least it was for me...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top