U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do people think your older or younger than your actual age?
Younger 70 93.33%
Older 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2022, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Minnesota
1,169 posts, read 512,117 times
Reputation: 2899

Advertisements

I used to look very very young for my age. When I was 23 and traveling through airports on my own, I was actually asked if I needed an adult escort lol.

Several years ago (I am 50 now) I first learned about my husband's pulmonary fibrosis and need for an oxygen tank. It has rapidly progressed and now we are trying to get him a lung transplant halfway across the U.S. I care for him around the clock while working full time. Add in my mother in a nursing home with dementia who barely remembers me, and a sister with paranoid schizophrenia in and out of hospitals who needs my help as we have no other family here and I have literally no help and no support. My skin now has patches of dry, scaly, itchy dermatitis all over and my face is aging rapidly. Right now I just don't care. I do maintain a bmi of 19 and work out like a mad dog but that's how I handle stress and I don't eat much when I am highly anxious.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2022, 06:47 AM
 
982 posts, read 333,577 times
Reputation: 1828
I think everyone tells other people they look young. Who would say, "wow, you're only 65? I would have guessed 80 for sure!"

That being said, people are routinely surprised when I tell them the ages of my young adult children. I've had several people say, "wow, you started very young, huh?" I was 25 when my first was born.

But then again, referring back to my first thought, they're likely just being polite. It would be rude for them to say "ah, I assumed you were his grandmother," when referring to my son in his early 20s.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 07:16 AM
 
7,102 posts, read 3,967,379 times
Reputation: 11312
I'd like to know the age of the deniers on this thread. When I was 50, I thought 70 was old. Now that I am 71, I see that age is relative. There are a lot of factors. I know for damn sure that people are not lying to me. One co-worker even kept denying that I was 70 at the time, so I whipped out my driver's license and showed them.

But you know, you guys do you. Let's see how you look when you are 70. I am willing to bet that some of you will not "look 70."

Bunch of gaslighters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 09:07 AM
 
13,515 posts, read 9,522,815 times
Reputation: 36142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'd like to know the age of the deniers on this thread. When I was 50, I thought 70 was old. Now that I am 71, I see that age is relative. There are a lot of factors. I know for damn sure that people are not lying to me. One co-worker even kept denying that I was 70 at the time, so I whipped out my driver's license and showed them.

But you know, you guys do you. Let's see how you look when you are 70. I am willing to bet that some of you will not "look 70."

Bunch of gaslighters.
We don't know you. But if we start with the premise that there is a certain "average" way people of a given age look, it's impossible for 94% of them to look younger than they are. That's what the poll is saying. And obviously it's a very small and nonscientific sample. Maybe people choose not to respond if their answer would be "older." The poll is flawed because there is no option for "I look my age" (which is what I would choose and why I didn't vote). But there is nothing wrong with discussing why 94% of the people who did answer this poll think they look younger than their age. And politeness/flattery from others is a legitimate reason, if not the only one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 09:12 AM
 
385 posts, read 112,039 times
Reputation: 464
I'm in my early thirties, still get carded. Someone at the store once said they thought I looked sixteen. No idea if my height plays a part in it, or maybe Native American genes, low stress, personality... Depending on whose genes I inherit, I'll either start balding in a few decades, or keep a full head of hair forever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 09:18 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,528 posts, read 72,348,287 times
Reputation: 49877
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
I'm in my early thirties, still get carded. Someone at the store once said they thought I looked sixteen. No idea if my height plays a part in it, or maybe Native American genes, low stress, personality... Depending on whose genes I inherit, I'll either start balding in a few decades, or keep a full head of hair forever.
I laughed the other day at Safeway when the woman ahead of me got carded, she looked about 50. The woman had a funny look so the cashier told her that they are under orders to ID everyone buying alcohol regardless of their age. Times have changed, I used to buy beer at 18-19 without being carded, there must be more enforcement and severe penalties now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 09:21 AM
 
7,102 posts, read 3,967,379 times
Reputation: 11312
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We don't know you. But if we start with the premise that there is a certain "average" way people of a given age look, it's impossible for 94% of them to look younger than they are. That's what the poll is saying. And obviously it's a very small and nonscientific sample. Maybe people choose not to respond if their answer would be "older." The poll is flawed because there is no option for "I look my age" (which is what I would choose and why I didn't vote). But there is nothing wrong with discussing why 94% of the people who did answer this poll think they look younger than their age. And politeness/flattery from others is a legitimate reason, if not the only one.
This is not about you and others here not knowing me, or about the poll.

My post was about younger people thinking that someone aged 70 looks their age, and they think that people are lying when they say the 70 yr old looks younger.

I never said that politeness/flattery from others was unacceptable. I said that people not believing a 70 yr old's statement is gaslighting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Chicago
2,073 posts, read 2,134,393 times
Reputation: 5301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I laughed the other day at Safeway when the woman ahead of me got carded, she looked about 50. The woman had a funny look so the cashier told her that they are under orders to ID everyone buying alcohol regardless of their age. Times have changed, I used to buy beer at 18-19 without being carded, there must be more enforcement and severe penalties now.
Yeah, that's definitely true... Grocery stores and drug stores are supposed to card people who look under 40, so I'll typically get carded if the cashier doesn't know me. They're so strict about carding for alcohol in the U.S. for some reason. When I was in Colorado a couple of years ago, there was a sign in grocery store that the card everyone under 50 Like, is that really necessary? lol. In other countries, they aren't nearly as strict about selling alcohol. In some European countries, they'll probably even sell alcohol to 12 year olds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 12:07 PM
 
16,900 posts, read 36,635,558 times
Reputation: 22606
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, that's definitely true... Grocery stores and drug stores are supposed to card people who look under 40, so I'll typically get carded if the cashier doesn't know me. They're so strict about carding for alcohol in the U.S. for some reason. When I was in Colorado a couple of years ago, there was a sign in grocery store that the card everyone under 50 Like, is that really necessary? lol. In other countries, they aren't nearly as strict about selling alcohol. In some European countries, they'll probably even sell alcohol to 12 year olds.
I am in my 70s, and the stores here card EVERYONE regardless of age. They have really tightened up in the last few years about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
14,617 posts, read 8,804,578 times
Reputation: 30563
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You were 68 and someone thought you were under 50?

Oh well, these threads are always entertaining anyway.
I was 67 (started school before I was 5). Seriously, nobody and I mean nobody takes me for older than 55. I'm petite, slim and very small boned. My family doesn't really wrinkle. My grandfather was in his 90's and still looked like he was 75 tops. My mother still turned heads when she was 70 years old.

When I had my 21st birthday party where I used to work, customers saw the balloons and asked me if it was my sweet 16 birthday. I hated it back then, now not so much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top