Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 06:02 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

But as I said in the OP, I need to know for how long you have to cut them out. I thought 3 days would be plenty, but maybe not. I don't know how or where to find the answer to that specific question.
2-3 weeks is the most appropriate time.

If you feel better after cutting down caffeine, then probably that's it. But to make sure stop it for 2-3 weeks. Then restart. Just the caffeine.
Carbonated plain water it's not in that group.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:10 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,396,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
While we don't know what causes IBS, we do know that flare-ups are often triggered by food, caffeine, stress, carbonated drinks, artificial sugars, or infectious diarrhea. The more IBS episodes you have, the more sensitive your gut becomes to triggers.

But who said that you have food allergy or IBS?
It could be stomach ulcer, strictures, GERD, side effects of medications, anxiety, wrong diet (too much caffeine, fatty stuff, spices)...
Did you try OTC antacids? Ginger, chamomile or peppermint tea?
I don't think it is any of those things you listed. I said I started having stomach and intestinal problems right after the vaccines, sorts of problems I had not ever had before. So I am completely convinced of that. But I don't want to argue about it here, because this is not a debate forum. We do not argue about vaccines here at this forum. I stated my opinion, just to get that out of the way, and there is no more need to speculate on the cause. It has something to do with the covid vaccines.

I do not take any medications, and never did except the antibiotics for lyme disease, years ago. I do not have stress or anxiety.

I tried Pepto Bismol, it didn't work. Was thinking of trying Immodium next. I will be taking a long plane trip, and I can't be running to the bathroom on a plane.

I drink ginger and peppermint tea every day. Does not help.

I have been avoiding spices. I had cut out caffeine for 3 days, as I said, but that did not help.

My main question is still -- for how long do we have to avoid something in order to find out if it is a trigger? Is 3 days not long enough?

Old 11-10-2022, 06:14 PM

As i said, cutting off for 3 days is way too short. Try 2-3 WEEKS, then report back, but typical caffeine allergy triggers those symptoms:
hives, an itchy rash made up of many red bumps. swelling of the lips and tongue.

Your stomach might get just upset (no allergy)
Caffeine is a stimulant and it can cause the stomach to secrete more hydrochloric acid, which in turn causes discomfort or pain. The coffee has some other ingredients that may be causing these side effects.
If you find yourself with similar discomforts when you drink acidic drinks like fruit juice or alcohol, it’s worth cutting out acidic foods and drinks for a few days to see if you notice a difference

Are you drinking coffee/tea on an empty stomach?
Drink it with some food and see if you feel better.

Last edited by elnina; 11-10-2022 at 06:26 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
As i said, cutting off for 3 days is way too short. Try 2-3 WEEKS, then report back
Can you tell me where you got that information? Is that what experts in IBS generally say? I don't want to try 2 or 3 weeks unless it is well known that amount of time is needed.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me where you got that information? Is that what experts in IBS generally say? I don't want to try 2 or 3 weeks unless it is well known that amount of time is needed.
You didn't bother to read those links I posted, right?
It's not along read, please try , it's explained there.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:31 PM

Quote:
You didn't bother to read those links I posted, right?
It's not along read, please try , it's explained there.
If I read through all those links, somewhere in there I will find the length of time that is needed?

Old 11-10-2022, 06:47 PM

984 posts, read 438,388 times
There's an elimination diet where you eat turkey, sweet potatoes, and a few other non-allergenic foods for a couple weeks, then slowly add in other foods one by one.

But I think it could be literally anything and if it's been several months, it's time to see a doctor.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:49 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times
First, go back and read the links.

I'll tell you what I know about diagnosing food allergies but I don't know anything about IBS. My allergist said to cut the food completely out for three days. Keep a food diary and write down everything you eat or drink. All ingredients.

You should look up the most common food allergies, such as dairy products, wheat, eggs, etc. and test for them one at a time. Let's say you are testing for wheat. Day one, substitute quinoa or rice for wheat. Do not eat anything all day long that contains even a tiny bit of wheat. Days two and three, the same. Day FOUR-eat wheat.

Then you wait. A food allergy can produce symptoms even around a week later. It's called a delayed reaction.

Hopefully you have been writing in your food diary every day what you ate and how you felt. Keep it going. After about 7-10 days you should have had a reaction if you are allergic to wheat.

If no reaction, back to square one and try a different food. You have to be very strict with yourself or you'll wreck the experiment. It's trial and error with food allergies and that may not be the cause of IBS.

Old 11-10-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
If I read through all those links, somewhere in there I will find the length of time that is needed?
Why don't you find out?

Old 11-10-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Why don't you find out?
I have already read that kind of thing, and did not find the simple answers I wanted to find. If I stopped all caffeine for 3 days and did not feel a difference, I wonder if that means caffeine is not causing it. I would think, if caffeine were the problem, there would have been some noticeable improvement after 3 days.

It is also possible, this is not related to any substances. I get this problem every single day, no matter what I eat. I do not eat the same things every day. I often drink the same things -- coffee, tea, etc. So I suspected those.

I don't think it's a food allergy. If it were, then it would be worse after eating certain things. But I don't think it is.

Someone else said you have to not eat something for 3 days, and then eat that thing on the 4th day, and wait up to a week to see if there is a reaction. That would assume there would be no reaction for the 3 days. Anyway, that approach sounds much too confusing and does not make sense to me.

I have read elsewhere that you can do an elimination diet by avoiding ALL the things that commonly cause sensitivities. I am not sure how long you have to do that. That makes more sense to me. Let's say experts who treat these diseases say 2 weeks. Then you would stay on that minimal diet for 2 weeks and see if there is an improvement. If there is, then you KNOW the problem is a food sensitivity. You also KNOW that now you feel better and are not miserable. THAT IS GOOD.

THEN, if you are curious about the exact food you are sensitive to, because you don't want to stay on that minimal diet forever, THEN you add things back one at a time. Meanwhile, you are feeling good and can live your life, and you don't mind that it could take weeks to find the actual culprit.

But eliminating one thing at a time, and waiting a week or so to see if there is any difference, does not make sense to me. Then you continue feeling miserable possibly for weeks or months, as you try each different thing.

So I guess I would try a very minimal diet, with only drinking water and maybe herbal tea. And my question, still, is, how long that has to go on to get the answer.

One other thing -- I did a 3 day fast with no food, but I drank coffee and tea. I felt good. But when I started eating again, the IBS returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.