U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 05:44 PM

22,484 posts, read 30,043,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
The keratin granulation from the nail polish chemicals can cause the nail to dehydrate and get very brittle, so my nail split vertically down the middle and had to be removed, the nail tech couldn't save it with glue or whatever they use to help the damage grow out. She said a new, healthy nail was growing in underneath all the staining and granulation on top of it and pushing the damage up. My new nail is about 1/8 inch grown out from the nail bed, I read it can take one year to grow back.

I found one picture of a podiatrist (couldn't find the link again to post it) actually taking all the granulation and staining off the top of a nail with a special tool and a healthy nail was underneath all the thick junk on top of it, but it was too late for me to get that treatment for my nail, it already split and was coming off on it's own, still partly attached, so I went for professional help. It was my mistake of leaving the nail polish on too long, which caused the staining and the drying out of my nail layers which caused extreme brittleness and splitting, resulting in losing the nail.

I probably won't use nail polish again except for a special occasion and take it off the next day since my nails are susceptible to keratin granulation damage from polish. There are online articles listing the safest polishes with the least damaging chemicals.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm curious what nail polish you used because it is so weird that you would have a reaction to nail polish that was on your toe nails for approximately 3 weeks. I could understand if you were younger, but you're a senior who has probably worn nail polish off and on all of your life like most of us women. I was never big on having my nails polished, the times I used to wear it when I was younger, it would be on my nails for a month or more, it would chip off, I'd eventually break out the nail polish remover to take it off.

Interestingly I've been having a few nail issues this last year that started out of the blue. First a few nails would split in the top middle section of nail. My nail tips would be a quarter to half inch long, next thing I knew, it looked like someone cut into it with a scissor. That eventually stopped on it's own.

Next, my right thumb nail bed got bumpy. If I touch the right thumb nail, there are what feels like deep depressions under the nail bed like waves. It then started getting lines in the middle of my nail, almost looking like I took a razor blade to the nail bed then filled the lines with grease. It was bizarre, especially since I don't work, I hadn't even worked in the garden to get my nail stained or injured. Of course I kept forgetting to show my GP, this has been going on about 6 months.

I had my grandson help me with taking pics of it, I uploaded to my google photos, grabbed the URL, sent the link to my GP via messages in July or August. She agreed that it looked like a fungus, she prescribed an antifungal lotion which didn't work. I got the OTC Fungi-Cure, painted my 2 thumb nails with it, the left thumb had recently got the same thing. It seeped through my nail, burned like heck so I stopped using it.

In September, I then ran into an article about various nail issues that you should not ignore as they could be signs of immune disorders. Article link, If You See This On Your Nails, Get To A Doctor Now thsat links to an article called Slide show: 7 fingernail problems not to ignore

To make a long story short, I had to go to the GP for something else about 6 weeks ago, he referred me to a dermatologist for my thumb nails and a podiatrist for a toe that I had broken 6 months ago. I also suffer from thick toe nails on the big toes plus the one next to it. I've been told there was no fungus, that it was due to trauma.

My dad had the same issue with his toe nails. The foot doctor said that I may have a little fungus on the toe nails, he thought my hand thumb nails looked fungal but he forgot to prescribe an oral fungal medication. Within a week of seeing the podiatrist, I got what looked like a razor cut in the right thumb on the nail bed by the cuticle. It started splitting open, it also had jagged, raised edges on this new split. I got an appointment with the GP who put me on the anti-fungal pill.

I saw the dermatologist finally last week, 6 weeks after originally seeing my GP for this thumb nail issue. I also showed her my toe nails, she said my feet look like thick nails due to fungus, she said my hand thumb nails do not look fungal, they look more like an immune issue. She prescribed a steroid for it which I'm having a reaction to. I'm supposed to take two 10MG pills a day, which caused my esophagus to feel burned. I'll try one pill tomorrow morning when I take my grandson to school then will space out the second pill.

Anyway, keep your eyes on your nail just in case it isn't related to the polish being on 3 weeks. Hopefully you don't have an unknown health issue.

Quote:
I don't get manicures or pedicures, and only wore toenail polish when sandal season started in June which I applied myself. The nail tech used to work on my mom's nails because I couldn't do it because her nails were very difficult to work on, but my mom got an injury around Thanksgiving last year and passed away a few weeks later at 92.5 years old. I'm having a hard time with the holiday coming up next week being without her for the first time on Thanksgiving. When I was in the salon having my nail taken off I got choked up telling the nail tech that mom passed away, we hadn't been there since the pandemic started.

Additionally, if the nail tech thought there was a possibility i had a fungus or something else going on with the nail she would have told me.

I guess some posters don't believe post #14 on this thread and all the articles online warning about the dangers of leaving nail polish on too long and the damage that can occur. My nails were completely normal before they were polished, and don't forget I have polish staining on the other big toe that never came off, but the keratin granulation didn't occur to damage it, like the toenail that had to be removed. Do you honestly think leaving the formaldehyde in the polish on your nail for a long time won't do anything harmful to it if your nail is porous? Some nail polishes don't contain formaldehyde so maybe those who are using those polishes will never have any ill effects.

Maybe there should be a warning on the nail polish bottles?

Jeez, I didn't know my original post would get so complicated, lol, but I'm happy to keep harping on the fact the nail polish damaged my perfectly healthy nail (except for the porousness, maybe?) if it helps just one person not go through an ordeal like i did or worse!
Quote:
Thanks for your kind words. I lived with my sweet, loving mom since 2000 and was her caregiver for the last 10 years after she had a mild stroke, we did everything together and I miss her terribly. Best wishes for a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and everyone on this thread along with the posters who have given me reputation points for this thread.

I'm so sorry. I can't believe we're coming up on her one year "deathiversary" on the 7th. I still remember how hard the "family holidays" were after losing my dad. They're still hard 16 years later. I know you miss your mom a lot, how could you not when you took great care of her. Her hospitalization last year came out of the blue.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 07:00 PM

5,406 posts, read 15,324,034 times
Put a BASE COAT on first...that should inhibit the transfer of color. Your nails must have a fungal infection, if they're getting sort of "icky" looking. Polish won't do that. I leave my toenail polish on until the color grows out... (and in the winter, I take ALL polish off...my toes are in SHOES and no one sees them!). But all summer, my toes are polished, and left that way until the nails grow out or beach sand destroys the polish.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness