U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-16-2022, 03:00 PM
 
2,485 posts, read 919,191 times
Reputation: 3734

Advertisements

I made the mistake of leaving my toenail polish on too long (about 3 weeks) and the stain transferred to my big toenail, the nail got dehydrated and the half that wasn't permanently stained black by the pinkish polish was white and chalky looking. The toenail finally split in two and I had to get it removed by a professional. Luckily the damage was only to one toenail. The damage can happen to fingernails too. It wasn't cheap polish, it was a major brand costing $9.00 a bottle.

I never knew this could happen, so I wanted to inform people who use nail polish to be careful, it's loaded with chemicals that may damage your nails if you leave it on too long.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2022, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
14,428 posts, read 25,428,605 times
Reputation: 24662
Your toenail didn't turn black because of nail polish!! Nails are DEAD, they don't "breathe"
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 04:50 PM
 
2,485 posts, read 919,191 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Your toenail didn't turn black because of nail polish!! Nails are DEAD, they don't "breathe"
The black/blueish/reddish stain color was the nail polish color that transferred to my nail from the polish. The color of the stain depends on the pigments in the nail polish, so even if you have a red nail polish color it can stain your nail black/blue instead of red. Look on-line, there are many photos of nail polish staining nails, some stains won't come out with acetone, you have to wait for it to grow out with the nail. In my case, the white, chalky part of the top of the nail cracked in two, the stain was still on the bottom, but it came off with the removal of the nail.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 04:50 PM
 
Location: In The South
5,925 posts, read 3,995,647 times
Reputation: 12270
I’ve kept toenail polish on for much longer than that and this has not happened to me. I would think you have a nail fungus or something.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 05:48 PM
 
2,485 posts, read 919,191 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’ve kept toenail polish on for much longer than that and this has not happened to me. I would think you have a nail fungus or something.
It depends how porous the nail is whether it stains or not, I had polish on all my toenails, the staining and keratin granulation (caused by nail polish, white dehydrated part of nail) happened on only one big toenail. The point is if I didn't leave my nail polish on too long to cause the staining and keratin granulation I wouldn't have lost the nail. It's possible a fungus can form with the keratin granulation under the nail polish, but the nail tech said since I removed some of the nail polish and found the white underneath, it's most likely granulation only from the polish since none of my other nails have fungus.

I can tell by the replies here that many probably don't know that nail polish left on too long can damage the nails, I didn't either, that's why I posted the info, so others can be careful about how they use nail polish.

What is keratin granulation?
Keratin Granulations are dehydrated parts of toenail where the superficial layers of toenail have been removed by either a chemical in the nail polish or polish remover. Nail polishes with Toluene and Formaldehyde can be very drying for the nail plate.

Last edited by wp169; 11-16-2022 at 06:11 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2022, 08:00 PM
 
Location: In The South
5,925 posts, read 3,995,647 times
Reputation: 12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
It depends how porous the nail is whether it stains or not, I had polish on all my toenails, the staining and keratin granulation (caused by nail polish, white dehydrated part of nail) happened on only one big toenail. The point is if I didn't leave my nail polish on too long to cause the staining and keratin granulation I wouldn't have lost the nail. It's possible a fungus can form with the keratin granulation under the nail polish, but the nail tech said since I removed some of the nail polish and found the white underneath, it's most likely granulation only from the polish since none of my other nails have fungus.

I can tell by the replies here that many probably don't know that nail polish left on too long can damage the nails, I didn't either, that's why I posted the info, so others can be careful about how they use nail polish.

What is keratin granulation?
Keratin Granulations are dehydrated parts of toenail where the superficial layers of toenail have been removed by either a chemical in the nail polish or polish remover. Nail polishes with Toluene and Formaldehyde can be very drying for the nail plate.
I have had nails stained by polish (never black) and I’ve had small rough white areas appear occasionally. I just feel that there had to be something else going on besides leaving the polish on for too long, in order for you to actually lose the nail.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 05:40 AM
 
2,485 posts, read 919,191 times
Reputation: 3734
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I have had nails stained by polish (never black) and I’ve had small rough white areas appear occasionally. I just feel that there had to be something else going on besides leaving the polish on for too long, in order for you to actually lose the nail.
The keratin granulation from the nail polish chemicals can cause the nail to dehydrate and get very brittle, so my nail split vertically down the middle and had to be removed, the nail tech couldn't save it with glue or whatever they use to help the damage grow out. She said a new, healthy nail was growing in underneath all the staining and granulation on top of it and pushing the damage up. My new nail is about 1/8 inch grown out from the nail bed, I read it can take one year to grow back.

I found one picture of a podiatrist (couldn't find the link again to post it) actually taking all the granulation and staining off the top of a nail with a special tool and a healthy nail was underneath all the thick junk on top of it, but it was too late for me to get that treatment for my nail, it already split and was coming off on it's own, still partly attached, so I went for professional help. It was my mistake of leaving the nail polish on too long, which caused the staining and the drying out of my nail layers which caused extreme brittleness and splitting, resulting in losing the nail.

I probably won't use nail polish again except for a special occasion and take it off the next day since my nails are susceptible to keratin granulation damage from polish. There are online articles listing the safest polishes with the least damaging chemicals.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by wp169; 11-17-2022 at 06:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
54,447 posts, read 76,122,373 times
Reputation: 120707
It sounds more like injury, perhaps a shoe pressure on the toe nail that lead to dryness, and a nail split. Fungus is a possibility.
Go to see a podiatrist and report back. Oh, yeah - you went. So what did he said? I am curious now.

Nail tech in beauty parlor is not qualified to work on such things.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Southern California
11,934 posts, read 12,987,742 times
Reputation: 14028
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’ve kept toenail polish on for much longer than that and this has not happened to me. I would think you have a nail fungus or something.

Same here! I've left it on for much longer & nothing like that's happeened to me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2022, 07:00 AM
 
6,872 posts, read 3,678,292 times
Reputation: 10723
Yes I agree I have left it on for months and never had such a thing.

However, I stopped wearing nail polish on my nails after I took polish off my toe and there was a bruise under my nail. Turns out you can get melanoma under a nail and it looks like a bruise. Melanoma under a nail is more deadly than regular melanoma because the nail keeps the cancer from growing up - like a mole.

So I went to the doctor and she asked me how long it had been there, and I had no idea.

So because I had no idea (because it was covered up) they were concerned and pulled my nail off and took a biopsy. That was horrible. And, it was just a bruise.

No more nail polish for me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top