U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2022, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Southern California
11,928 posts, read 12,978,807 times
Reputation: 14017

Advertisements

Thanks guys!

Submariner, thank you. What an ordeal, I wish your wife well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have varicose veins in the lower part of both of my legs. I wear 20-30mmHg open toe knee-high compression socks. The open toe socks are easier for me to put on and take off, and you have to learn the correct method of putting them on - basically inside out. The skin needs to be completely dry.

I recommend this website where you can buy direct from the supplier - Doc Miller. They have a big variety of compression socks from ankle high, knee high or above the knee.
https://docmillersports.com/

I have used their products for over 3 years, and they are very good quality, good price and can last for a long time. I have 7 pair which I rotate after using each pair for 2 days. I put them on when I get out of bed in the morning, and remove them at night when going to bed. I machine wash in cold water with a small amount of mild detergent, and air dry. I also wear a light ankle sock over the compression socks, so I don't wear out the compression socks when wearing shoes or walking indoors without shoes. I usually wear indoor sandals in the house. Once per year in January, I order 7 new pair that will last me 12 months.

Thank you, yes, I think the toe out types are easier to take on/off as well. Sounds like you have a good routine going.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2022, 07:27 AM
 
10,848 posts, read 14,787,511 times
Reputation: 28413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Ask your medical supply dealer
First of all, who has a medical supply dealer?

Secondly, compression socks from a medical supply dealer, just like most everythng else from a medical supply dealer, are going to cost triple what you can find the same or similar product for somewhere else.

Finally, the "medical supply dealer" is going to recommend whatever brand(s) they stock. What's important is the compression that the doctor recommends you wear. After that, you can wear whatever brand you want from whatever retail outlet has the best prices. I've been wearing compression socks every day for 20+ years after being diagnosed with a blood disorder that led to a series of DVTs and PEs and I order my socks from Amazon.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Southern California
11,928 posts, read 12,978,807 times
Reputation: 14017
So I personally have a leaking vein.

QUESTION

Are compression socks meant to be just a temp fix for a surgery that will need to happen eventually OR do some people just wear the socks for yrs & yrs & that's it or what?



Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
First of all, who has a medical supply dealer?

Secondly, compression socks from a medical supply dealer, just like most everythng else from a medical supply dealer, are going to cost triple what you can find the same or similar product for somewhere else.

Finally, the "medical supply dealer" is going to recommend whatever brand(s) they stock. What's important is the compression that the doctor recommends you wear. After that, you can wear whatever brand you want from whatever retail outlet has the best prices. I've been wearing compression socks every day for 20+ years after being diagnosed with a blood disorder that led to a series of DVTs and PEs and I order my socks from Amazon.

I understand what ya mean. So, you've been wearing for 20+ yrs daily, wow. So I guess you never needed any surgery to fix your issue? These socks were good enough to handle it?

Is DVT = Deep Vein Thrombosis? What's PE?

I ordered 2 brands so far to try...Doc Miller & another pair from this site called Pro Compression.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
35,357 posts, read 57,335,767 times
Reputation: 27070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
..,.
Are compression socks meant to be just a temp fix for a surgery that will need to happen eventually OR do some people just wear the socks for yrs & yrs & that's it or what?
My Dw's doctor told her that she may need to wear them forever. Yet never 24 hours a day.

As a result from surgery, my Dw now has a permanent condition [one calf and ankle is twice the diameter of the other calf and ankle].


We started at a medical supply house, to get an idea of how they work. Then we found them at Walmart for much cheaper.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Kansas City North
6,136 posts, read 10,104,783 times
Reputation: 14102
Buy one of these gizmos. It really makes putting them on easier!

https://www.foryourlegs.com/collecti...silk-foot-slip
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Southern California
11,928 posts, read 12,978,807 times
Reputation: 14017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Dw's doctor told her that she may need to wear them forever. Yet never 24 hours a day.

As a result from surgery, my Dw now has a permanent condition [one calf and ankle is twice the diameter of the other calf and ankle].

We started at a medical supply house, to get an idea of how they work. Then we found them at Walmart for much cheaper.

I see, thank you! So has it helped her enough to avoid a surgery or some procedure?

So far, it seems it's best to wear for about a good 8 hrs a day & during the day for sure (& NOT overnight). And does she wear it jsut on the 1 leg she has her issue with as opposed to both legs?

Any other info you can give would be grealty appreciated because this is all new to me. I've never had to weer compression socks before.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Buy one of these gizmos. It really makes putting them on easier!

https://www.foryourlegs.com/collecti...silk-foot-slip

Thanks a lot, ordered just now! If you know any other info, tips, etc. you can tell me, please do so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
35,357 posts, read 57,335,767 times
Reputation: 27070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I see, thank you! So has it helped her enough to avoid a surgery or some procedure?
Yes.



Quote:
... So far, it seems it's best to wear for about a good 8 hrs a day & during the day for sure (& NOT overnight). And does she wear it just on the 1 leg she has her issue with as opposed to both legs?
Yes, she wears one compression sock on one jeg only. Maybe 8 or 10 hours each day.

She was also just diagnosed with Arthritis in one knee. Her doctor pronounced that she has arthritis, and was sent to a specialist to learn exactly what kind of arthritis and what can be done for it.

She was then sent to a physical therapist and now has been told to wear a 'knee brace'. Basically the same thing as a compression sock, but this is made for the knee.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2022, 07:11 PM
 
17,603 posts, read 8,172,481 times
Reputation: 11114
Tore something in my left knee 30 years ago. Had no insurance. Leg swell every day. Tried compression socks, they did not help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Southern California
11,928 posts, read 12,978,807 times
Reputation: 14017
Submariner, thanks so much! I've repped you before, so system won't let me do it again. Will your wife ever need surgery down the road or no? How's her quality of life? Does she try to elevate her leg as much as possible? How long can she walk for?

Do you happen to know if compression socks are fine if one's had an achilles tendon rupture in the past? (I'm trying to find out from a dr in the meantime.)


Floorist, thanks for replying. So in thse last 30 yrs, you've had nothing done to remedy it? Have you had any further complications OR just swelling all this time? Weren't you worried if it would get worse?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2022, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
35,357 posts, read 57,335,767 times
Reputation: 27070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
... Will your wife ever need surgery down the road or no?
At this point, there are no plans for any further surgery.

The doctors do not have any suggestions for her beyond whatever might make her comfortable.



Quote:
... How's her quality of life?
It is decreasing.



Quote:
... Does she try to elevate her leg as much as possible?
Yes.



Quote:
... How long can she walk for?
Getting in / out of the car has become difficult for her.

She avoids walking any more than necessary.

She volunteers at a food pantry twice a week, for four to six hours each time. Sorting boxes of food.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top