Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 06:43 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

In my search for a good or at least a better doc, I came across MDVIP. Has anyone had any experience with them?
https://www.mdvip.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 07:02 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
In my search for a good or at least a better doc, I came across MDVIP. Has anyone had any experience with them?
The only thing that I know is that they are expensive (or, at least, more expensive than a “regular” doc)—usually about $1200-2400 a year (depending on the doctor) but you can pay in installments. Therefore, it is basically re-branded concierge medicine.

I considered going to an MDVIP doctor but I met with one and did not find him to be any better than a regular doctor (although all of the reviews stated that he was “the best”). Even he admitted that you don’t get more than a regular doctor in terms of testing. However, with MDVIP doctors, they are available on weekends if you need them.

My opinion is that an MDVIP doc is worth it if you can afford them.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:37 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Yeah, they're $1800/year here. Lots of time with the doc seems to be one attraction. I'd just settle for a smarter than the average bear doc.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:11 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Yeah, they're $1800/year here. Lots of time with the doc seems to be one attraction. I'd just settle for a smarter than the average bear doc.
You and me both. I think the biggest issue with doctors these days is that they have too many patients—so many, in fact, that they are spread so thin that they can’t properly treat a lot of their patients. But that is another attraction of concierge medicine: patients paying more means less patients for the doc, which means that they have more time for each patient and/or individualized care.

Nevertheless, I think that you’re still taking a chance. Yet the worst case scenario is that you try it for a year, see no difference, then go back to a regular doc.

Old 11-18-2022, 09:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Cannot afford a concierge doctor and I think the concept is just for them to make more money without giving the patient anything more beneficial than a regular MD.

If I need something on a weekend, Urgent care is there for me and I visit them and get good medical care there.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The only thing that I know is that they are expensive (or, at least, more expensive than a “regular” doc)—usually about $1200-2400 a year (depending on the doctor) but you can pay in installments. Therefore, it is basically re-branded concierge medicine.

I considered going to an MDVIP doctor but I met with one and did not find him to be any better than a regular doctor (although all of the reviews stated that he was “the best”). Even he admitted that you don’t get more than a regular doctor in terms of testing. However, with MDVIP doctors, they are available on weekends if you need them.

My opinion is that an MDVIP doc is worth it if you can afford them.
you get time and fast appts at least where I live. For Reg MDs it may take weeks or months to get an appt and then much of the time its nurse practitioners etc handling the cases not MDs. So it depends on what you need or want. Someone mentioned urgent care. Where I live there are urgent care units that will tell you to go see your dr. or send you to the ER. it depends on whats wrong.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:08 PM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
We use a Direct Primary Care practice, which seems similar to MDVIP. We really like it. It's $75/adult per month, and that serves as your "membership." You get something like 25 visits per year and you pay nothing when you go in. No copay, no bills, nothing. It covers most of what you'd have done in a regular doctor's office, like strep tests, flu tests, a flu shot, women's health, etc. Then you get deep discounts on lab services, mammograms, xrays, MRI, physical therapy, and so on. When my son needed lung xrays it was $35 for two or three different images, for example. (We went to a different place for that, they dont do xrays in the office.)

When we call with a problem, we get in the same day or sometimes the next day. For a regular appointment, like a well visit or because you want to talk about your health or whatever, you get in generally within two weeks or so. The appointments themselves are 30 minutes or more. The doctor is relaxed and sits down in a chair. I've gone in for something like an ear infection and he also talked to me about various other health topics, asked how my diet was, recommended an exercise for a sore shoulder, etc.

This MDVIP sounds like the same type of thing.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:51 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
We use a Direct Primary Care practice, which seems similar to MDVIP. We really like it. It's $75/adult per month, and that serves as your "membership." You get something like 25 visits per year and you pay nothing when you go in. No copay, no bills, nothing. It covers most of what you'd have done in a regular doctor's office, like strep tests, flu tests, a flu shot, women's health, etc. Then you get deep discounts on lab services, mammograms, xrays, MRI, physical therapy, and so on. When my son needed lung xrays it was $35 for two or three different images, for example. (We went to a different place for that, they dont do xrays in the office.)

When we call with a problem, we get in the same day or sometimes the next day. For a regular appointment, like a well visit or because you want to talk about your health or whatever, you get in generally within two weeks or so. The appointments themselves are 30 minutes or more. The doctor is relaxed and sits down in a chair. I've gone in for something like an ear infection and he also talked to me about various other health topics, asked how my diet was, recommended an exercise for a sore shoulder, etc.

This MDVIP sounds like the same type of thing.
Your "concierge" plan sounds wonderful. If I were to sign up here with my PCP and his concierge plan, it would cost me $250 a month.

Old 11-18-2022, 02:57 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
They are owned by a private equity firm.

https://www.mdvip.com/leonard-green-...ummit-partners

I searched for Yelp reviews on Google and nothing relevant came up but a Bing search revealed a listing with some Yelp reviews.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=mdvip+...&ghacc=0&ghpl=

If I was looking for a concierge physician I would attempt to find an independent one.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:43 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
No. But it sounds just the ticket, what with all the emphasis on wellness and preventive medicine.

A friend in the Bay Area pays just under $10K a year to be a patient in a concierge practice where the number of patients is capped.

She gets a call back within an hour, a weekday appt. within 24 hours, and medical visits that are not rushed.

She says its well worth it.

This sounds like a similar deal, but less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness