Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 07:43 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times

Advertisements

I just started blood pressure meds and doc said to call if i was below 120 on top. Granted it is to work on adjusting the dose since it is brand new meds but I thought I'd point out you don't want it too low. I'd keep a log and check with your doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 06:19 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Here is my take on blood pressure (right or wrong). White coat syndrome IS actually a symptom of an issue as it shows your body's response to perceived stress and we are OFTEN under stress! I am in my 70's and my BP at the doctor's office was typically in the mid 130's over 75 and while resting at home, using the correct measurement protocol, was 10-15 points less. Problem is, I and most people don't just sit around resting all day long....we are under a variety of stresses. Question is at what point should it be treated? After a couple years of this, my doctor put me on a beta blocker which dropped the BP about 15 points.
The Cardiologists I have seen don't agree with that theory although it is a possibility for some folks.

Blood pressure measurement was designed to be taken exactly as is - Resting. So unless we actually have a new medical consensus on what "stressed" blood pressure is , we cannot say that "if your blood pressure reaches ___/___ AT ALL under ANY conditions then it's a problem".

I refuse to take blood pressure medication in absence of a situation where there is clear evidence that: 1) There is "essential" hypertension not responsive to diet/lifestyle changes 2) There are other compounding issues that raises the risk of heart attack/stroke such as full on Diabetes or abnormal lipids 3) Bad CAC score or poor results on Cardiac stress test

I have several relatives on blood pressure meds and statins. However, those same relatives refused to change their lifestyle or diet. I refuse to live an existence hocked up on 10 different medications that just address symptoms while causing more issues themselves.

I now do not drink alcohol at all and I've been caffeine free for 5 years. Next I will be going mostly Keto in 2023. Unless you've done something like that I would not recommend taking blood pressure medication. It should be the absolute last resort. I don't know a SINGLE INDIVIDUAL on or offline that has done EVERYTHING they're supposed to and still needs either BP meds or statins. Some may have to go more "health extreme" than others to achieve the desired result naturally.

Those 2 classes of medications are amongst some of the most useless medications to the general population. (Metformin on the other hand is one of those exceptions and even that is only valuable in say 25% of people with genetic metabolic issues)

You cannot control blood pressure and cholesterol by lowering blood pressure or cholesterol independently. Increasingly we have discovered that these are merely symptoms of metabolic dysfunction and insulin resistance. This is why I said Metformin might be an actual USEFUL drug because it at least gets closer to the ROOT CAUSE of the problem and not artificially masking the ancillary issues.

Dr Berg and Dr Ekberg on YouTube are excellent channels to watch. Insulin resistance is now the cause of 75-90% of Cardiovascular disease in the modern era. You probably don't have a predisposition to High blood pressure, what you have is a predisposition to insulin resistance that causes hypertension as a side effect.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:42 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I like all the Youtube docs ! *cough*

Their surgical skills in leading one through self surgery is unparalleled. *cough (again)*

One thing I learned in my practice is not everyone fits in a nice neat little sack. The individuality of the human body dictates this. Never, never speak in absolutes about the human body as everyone is different, every body is different, and every medical decision should look at maladies of the body and incorporate these premises.

Old 11-24-2022, 01:30 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Never, never speak in absolutes about the human body as everyone is different, every body is different, and every medical decision should look at maladies of the body and incorporate these premises.
Ahem. While I get your point and agree with you, "never" is an absolute

Old 11-25-2022, 10:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Ahem. While I get your point and agree with you, "never" is an absolute
So to rephrase I should have said please don't speak or accept absolutes when referring to different bodies as they are, well, different ! Or maybe absolutely don't speak in absolutes about the human body.

Now I'm a bit conflicted !

Maybe it could have been better worded although I like the forcefulness of the original !!!!

Old 11-30-2022, 11:35 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
My BP issues began immediately after my TBI in 2013. It would vary wildly (i.e., normal to 200/120) in minutes. I was otherwise in good health, a runner, exercised frequently, etc. BP meds helped stabilize the wild swings, but never fully controlled them.

I recently suffered another TBI and began having issues with severe anxiety. My primary care physician added propranolol as it can help with anxiety and BP by lowering heart rate. My BP has stabilized (I still have swings) but there are improvements to the point where I may be able to lower the dose of my primary BP medication soon.

Due to claustrophobia, masks will significantly raise my BP. Also, my BP skyrocketed at my urologist appointment earlier this week when I saw the tissue and lube.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:49 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

One thing I learned in my practice is not everyone fits in a nice neat little sack. The individuality of the human body dictates this. Never, never speak in absolutes about the human body as everyone is different, every body is different, and every medical decision should look at maladies of the body and incorporate these premises.
Very true...Elevated BP is the final common pathway of several possible routes-- from increased salt/fluid retention from several different endocrine problems or the mild changes in renal function with normal aging, to neurogenic causes (hyperthyroidism & genetic predispostion to increased adrenergic reactions) to narrowing of arteries (you pinch the end of the hose to water the far corner of the garden)....Tha last one may be the most common cause of HTN, and why treating it doesn't lower the risk of MI (it does lower the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, CHF and hypertensive renal failure.)

Treat the underlying cause when possible and then prescribe symptomatic relief when necessary.

Old 12-09-2022, 12:14 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
You cannot control blood pressure and cholesterol by lowering blood pressure or cholesterol independently. Increasingly we have discovered that these are merely symptoms of metabolic dysfunction and insulin resistance. This is why I said Metformin might be an actual USEFUL drug because it at least gets closer to the ROOT CAUSE of the problem and not artificially masking the ancillary issues.
I don't have insulin resistance or high cholesterol but I do have high blood pressure. . . as did my dad and my grandmother.

I am too tired to watch the video right now but I am pretty certain those 3 things do not need to go together in everyone.

So far as my doctor is concerned a primary cause of high blood pressure is related to kidney issues. I only know this because he checked to make sure I don't have that either!

Old 12-11-2022, 07:16 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I don't have insulin resistance or high cholesterol but I do have high blood pressure. . . as did my dad and my grandmother.

I am too tired to watch the video right now but I am pretty certain those 3 things do not need to go together in everyone.

So far as my doctor is concerned a primary cause of high blood pressure is related to kidney issues. I only know this because he checked to make sure I don't have that either!
At my last visit my doctor said high blood pressure can cause kidney problems.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:39 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Default Different readings at different facilities

Over the past year, at one office it's consistently in the 150's. I was freaking out because my blood pressure has always been low for my entire life (108-110)

I have a different doctor I visit semi-frequently, and the readings are consistently in the low 130's.

Is this a common occurrence?

I also have an issue with the fact that they walk you down a long hallway then plop you down and immediately take your pressure before your heart rate has a chance to normalize. Then they don't take it again. When I used to accompany my father to his Kaiser appointments, they always took his pressure at the beginning, and then again 10 minutes later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness