U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 05:53 AM

699 posts, read 565,578 times

Advertisements

I would go to the doctor before it turned into pneumonia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 07:09 AM

34,849 posts, read 14,930,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Plain Guaifenesin is currently the only expectorant approved by the U.S. Food and FDA.

This Mucinex is just plain Guaifenesin. (600mg)
https://www.amazon.com/Mucinex-Conge.../dp/B005LEMQOS

Or this plain Guaifenesin (1200 mg)
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basic-...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

That's what I was prescribed when I had Covid that turned into a upper respiratory infection. I also got some for my Dad, he got Covid first, at Walgreens, also Walmart.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:50 AM

5,023 posts, read 3,148,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
WRONG! All come with plain Guaifenesin. Only the DM form comes with Dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant!

So buy Mucinex for expectorant or Mucinex DM for suppressant plus suppressant. Same for Robitussin or generics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I read all of the labels.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Ask pharmacy, or go to another store

Dude, this thread is not about there being no place on earth to buy it. This is about there being none at the nearest store when I needed it on a SUNDAY NIGHT and the fact that they apparently don't even stock it, despite more than a dozen different kinds of cough medicine. The next closest place would have been a 2 hour round trip in the dark when I couldn't breathe. No thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wouldn't bother with an expectorant. I'd buy a nebulizer (no prescription needed) and ask my PCP for a prescription for 7% hypertonic saline. That should bring up the crap in your lungs.

It was Sunday night fer chrissake, no pharmacies open anywhere near me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I totally understand! Expectorants were the only type of cough medicine I ever bought. I have also had a hard time finding them the last few years.

Thank you. Its almost like I can read labels, and assess my situation like a grown up, and know that there are no other options nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I would go to the doctor before it turned into pneumonia.

I seriously considered going to the ER, which would have been my only option on a SUNDAY NIGHT!!!! I very nearly suffocated last night and had to try and sleep sitting up which is pretty much impossible.

Now, being Monday morning I can go to urgent care.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:24 AM

34,849 posts, read 14,930,226 times
Walgreens 12 hour Mucus Relief ER, contains 600mg Guaifenesin only Expectorant.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:32 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,662,629 times
Back in the day Vicks Formula 44E was an excellent expectorant. My husband swore by it, and he was in the medical field. I am going to see if they still make it........

ETA: this also contains a cough suppressent so not what you are looking for. Hoping you get better very soon!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:34 AM

54,430 posts, read 76,085,828 times
So, the problem was related to Sunday night and limited amount of stores around you open at that time. Not the fact that there aren't any cough remedies with just expectorants.
You probably were feeling quite crappy all weekend already, so why you waited till Sunday night to go shopping when options are so limited in your area?
There ARE just expectorants to buy, although most people want to get some relief with suppressants also. You just went to shop at worst possibly time, to just one store with limited selection that was still open, and expected wonders.

Hope you got some professional help today.
Feel better soon!!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:37 AM

5,575 posts, read 11,139,825 times
I would highly recommend a trip to your doctor just to be safe.

Personally, my toddler is just getting over RSV, and I have the worst series of coughs I've ever had. Its bad this year, for sure (and I rarely get sick in the winter). Finally going to see my doc this week (stubbornly).

Old 11-21-2022, 10:42 AM

7,089 posts, read 3,961,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I have the worst chest congestion I've had in many years. It was productive at first, now it isn't, but the congestion remains. I never use OTC meds but since it has become quite uncomfortable I drove down to the store only to find...they have dozens of cough meds but they all contain expectorant AND cough suppressant (and usually other crap I don't want too). Why? WTH? I don't want my cough suppressed, I want it to produce so I can clear out my drowning lungs! Jiminy Crickets I'm dying and I left with nothing but honey, which I guess is also an expectorant AND A SUPPRESSANT!

I don't understand why there are no OTC expectorants without suppressants. The two work against each other. if you suppress cough, you can't expel the crap that the expectorant is supposed to loosen. What am I missing?
What the combo does is help you get the gunk up while calming the incessant urge to cough, which can be very difficult. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it works. I am a lifelong lung patient and have dealt with the very question you've asked here. Be wary of really strong cough medicine like Ninjacof. It is really strong as in making you feel sick (especially on an empty stomach, which is how I take my cough medicine). It also makes you dizzy. Stick with the straightforward stuff.

If you really must have an expectorant only, use Mucinex. Be prepared to be coughing stuff up non-stop. Even when you don't want to. Not that that's a bad thing, just giving a heads-up.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
What the combo does is help you get the gunk up while calming the incessant urge to cough, which can be very difficult. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it works. I am a lifelong lung patient and have dealt with the very question you've asked here. Be wary of really strong cough medicine like Ninjacof. It is really strong as in making you feel sick (especially on an empty stomach, which is how I take my cough medicine). It also makes you dizzy. Stick with the straightforward stuff.

If you really must have an expectorant only, use Mucinex. Be prepared to be coughing stuff up non-stop. Even when you don't want to. Not that that's a bad thing, just giving a heads-up.

I had very little urge to cough, and what I had after Friday was unproductive, and certainly didn't want to suppress it. The crud was just filling up my lungs and never coming out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Personally, my toddler is just getting over RSV, and I have the worst series of coughs I've ever had. Its bad this year, for sure (and I rarely get sick in the winter). Finally going to see my doc this week (stubbornly).

Bingo. RSV is what I suspected it might be because I've been around germy kids the last few weeks, and RSV is now confirmed. It's 10 times worse than covid was for me (vaxxed), maybe 20 times. I will definitely be taking the jab for RSV when it comes out, this is awful. Kind weird because I'm not in any high risk categories, but I did have a steroid injection about 3 days before this started. I wonder if that was enough to let it take hold when it wouldn't have otherwise. Anyway, lesson learned, RSV is no joke if it decides to hit hard! I'll bet that's what you have too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness